November 1st, 2008

Biden: Never thought I'd see this from McCain

Sen. Biden took a shot at Sen. McCain during a campaign stop in Indiana Saturday.

EVANSVILLE, Indiana (CNN) – The morning after Joe Biden told reporters he hoped John McCain would finish the campaign with a positive tone - “his strength” - the Delaware senator said he doesn’t remember a presidential campaign ending so viciously.

“In my view, over the last few weeks, John McCain’s campaign has gone way over the top,” said Biden Saturday at an outdoor rally on Evansville’s Main Street. “They are trying to take the low road to the highest office in the land. It’s not only George Bush’s economic policies that John McCain has bought hook, line and sinker. He’s also bought Karl Rove’s brand of political tactics.”

“It is disappointing, I never thought I’d see this from a McCain campaign,” Biden continued. “They’re calling Barack Obama every name in the book. They are going out in a way that I don’t recall it being more personally vicious.”

As a supporter yelled, “They’re scared!” the Delaware senator predicted that the tone would get worse in the last three days.

Stopping in Indiana for a morning rally in the middle of a two-day bus tour through Ohio, Biden said he and his wife Jill rose early Saturday. Mrs. Biden went running along the Ohio river while the senator was “walking and running.”

“I tell you, it's getting harder to keep up with her,” he told the crowd.

On her run, Mrs. Biden met a nun who was running and going to mass early so she could make it to the vice presidential nominee’s rally. Returning to the hotel, Mrs. Biden reminded her husband, a devout Catholic, that he hadn’t yet gone to All-Saints Day mass.

“Sister Jean-Michelle, I made 9:00. I made 9:00 mass. I just want to thank you,” said Biden, scanning the crowd for the nun. “I'll call my mom some time during the day and the first thing she'll ask me, 'Joey did you go to mass?' So you saved me, sister. You saved me.”

Mrs. Biden introduced her husband, taking off her coat at the podium to reveal an elegant, bright red dress that got a roar of approval from the audience.

“I didn’t think it would cause that much of a stir,” she responded.

Filed under: Indiana • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. Kwik

Yes indeed the Republicans and those of their ilk are "scared." They're scared of new ideas. Scared of losing control. Scared of the future. Scared of all things that are not white, rural, suburban and/or Christian. McCain and Palin are leading a campaign of fear that's fueled by fear and cultural division. That's the only way they can win. Thank goodness we've only got to deal with them for three more days. Then, hopefully, they - along with their hateful scare tactics and old school methods - will be off the national stage.

November 1, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  2. Struggling American

Me neither Joe. What is going on here? Go as low as you can?
    Everyone say it with me.....3 more days!!!! 3 more days!!!!
    Go Go Go, Go Obama, Go Go Go, Go Obama.....
    No way: Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran.

November 1, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  3. Ken, Pisgah Forest NC

McCain has gone from mud slinging to muck slinging. Those of us who keep farm animals know the difference. I supported him in 2000 when he was the victim of what he is doing. I'll never support him again. Between him, the lies and distortions presented by Palin, and now the libelous ads by Sen. Dole, I have lost any faith that the Republican party will ever be worth a single vote.

November 1, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  4. Jim

Wasn't it Joe Biden himself that not only a few short months ago made a PUBLIC STATEMENT at a debate where he said that OBAMA was not qualified to run our country, And that America didn't need an on the job training president?? Or was he just drunk again..

November 1, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  5. Irony

What ever happened to the real Republicans? What we have now is a party of false christians and liars.

Honor and dignity are sadly missing from the McCain campaign. I will vot with the Democrats until the real Republicans stand up for themselves and take their party back!

Obama is the true patriot!

November 1, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  6. Marie Banderas in TEXAS

Its already getting dirtier ! And bringing up Obamas "aunt" is stupid ! I dont have a clue about any of my aunts OR uncles family buisness, as rarely even hear from them except for christmas cards..so doesnt surprise me if Obama didnt know about his aunt..maybe SHE never told HIM...I DO suspect someone in Bush administration was guilty of this mess, but wont stop people from voting for Obama-Biden ! I already did !

November 1, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  7. Michael

Now that's funny......john should have dumped her along time ago.

November 1, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  8. Tony

McCain and Palin will be scraping the bottom of the toilet for teh next 3 days.

Don't buy in to their B.S.!

Vote Obama / Biden!

November 1, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  9. FLORIDA for Obama

WE ARE SICK AND TIRED of the RASCISM that this campaign has been running on.

I wish the news media would CALL THESE hateful rascist politicians out on this crap.

Some one SHOW THEM THEIR OWN TAPES.

WE all KNOW AND SEE THE HYPOCRICY IN THE MCCAIN Campaign.

FRIENDSHIPS ARE BEING BROKEN UP BY THESE PEOPLE

HATE IS BEING INSTILLED IN THE MINDS OF THEIR CHILDREN.

AND RUSH LIMBAUGH SAYS ITS THE BLACK KIDS BEING TAUGHT HATE.

LOOK IN THE MIRROR YOU RACIST PIGS.

November 1, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  10. McCain 08

Girly man Biden whining about McCain calling That One names is complete hypocrisy, all Obama and Lyin' Biden have done is call names the whole campaign.

November 1, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  11. T. Mckinley

Those who have no sustance to their positions or arguments almost always resort to name-calling and slander. This campaign has been no exception.

On Nov. 4, 2008, Barack Obama WILL be elected President of the United States. Accept it and get over it!

November 1, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  12. George

Mccain is in danger of losing hispanic votes if he does not speak out against the leaking of Obama's Aunt immigration status. HISPANICS ARE GOING TO VOTE FOR OBAMA OUT OF SYMPATHY.

November 1, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  13. ellie Renfro

On the internet yesterday was a story and video about ALASKA WOMEN FOIR OBAMA. It showed a lot of folks puting on colors of the US flag and forming a US flag for Obama. It was a nice demonstration i believe it was in anchorage. I have not seen this on the News

November 1, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  14. Olivia

Stop beating up on John McCain, Biden.
    I always thought you just had a big mouth but it's worse than that.
    I've listened to you and Obama say negative personal things about McCain's integrity, honor, character, work ethics.....and then have the gall to then give him credit for his service to our country in a very condecending way.
    For the record.....you both don't measure up to John McCain.
    How you can stand on that podium day after day and accuse McCain of negative campaigning while doing it yourself is hypocritical.
    I'm mad!

November 1, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  15. Kim

He's sold his integrity to the GOP. He promised to be respectful.

He lied.

Pitiful, John McCain. Pitiful.

Hope and change... Obama '08

November 1, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  16. L AM A REPUBLICAN

l will vote obama 08

November 1, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  17. Richard A. Spomer

See he is as stupid as his Aunt!
    1. Obama broke his promise on financing.
    2. Obama has links to many terrorists.
    3. Obama is left radical much like the former USSR
    4. Obama will not keep his promises
    5. Obama says this war was a mistake
    6. Obama is trying to get local democrats to use all their time and resources for him only and not local candidates in state and government positions
    7. Obama has no military experience
    8. Obama has no leadership experience in Congress
    9. Obama's advisors are made up of lobbyists and who would have destroyed the economy back in 1999 with the repeal of the 1933 Act separating investment banks from commercial banks.
    10. Obama has no detailed plans showing budgets.

So we don’t need any descendant from Africa coming to run for President of the United States of America! Especially if the ticket is Obama/Biden which are a couple monkeys trying to screw things up!

November 1, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  18. Jerome

As an outsider I just simply cannot understand the mentality of Americans in this election.

With what has happened in the past 8 years under the Bush/Cheney administration, I can't see how this election can even be close.

I mean can't you people see the damage Bush, Cheney, McCain and the Republicans have done to your country and the world. How can anyone even want more of the same nonsense.

Your economy is in ruins, your debt is unbelievable, you are in a war based on lies, you have a divided country and you have a VP candidate who is totally out of her league.

One can only hope that you will see the light before the end of voting on Tuesday. I am counting on reason and common sense to prevail.

Obama will win in a landslide unless Americans fall for McCain's bull this weekend.

Vote right folks and save your country and the world.

Your northern neighbour.

November 1, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  19. Time to move on

The peoples choice.
    OBAMA/BIDEN 08

November 1, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  20. Tom, KS

It's funny though how the Gov waited until this weekend to release this info. Clearly Bush is trying to make waves for Obama in hopes of knocking him off stride so close to the election. By keeping it under the radar until now, the story won't develop enough to be anything but an outlandish headline. I hope we aren't fooled again!

Oh and by the way,
    The Economist, The Financial Times and Ben Bernenke all Endorsed Obama. How can he be considered a socialist.

November 1, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  21. LouAnn

Does anyone know who McCain is anymore?

November 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  22. Beth

I'm sick to death of the mud-slinging by the McCain/Palin campaign. And I'm sure I speak for thousands upon thousands of other Americans! We don't want to hear the crap...we want solutions to some VERY major issues in this country.

Joe Biden is SO right. It's shame that someone like McCain, who has served this country for year...has stooped to such a low place. What respect I had for him is long gone.

Please people...VOTE! I will be at my polling place on Tuesday morning at 6:30am...waiting for the doors to open.

Obama/Biden '08

November 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  23. McHoover Would Destroy What's Left of America

3 more days and we won't have to hear Palin's fingernails on a chalkboard voice screeching at us from our TVs.

November 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  24. Mike in Oregon

"The next person that I hear calling Sarah Palin unqualified I’m going to label them sexist.

Has Obama balanced a $9 billion budget?

Has he brought a state out of major debt and turned it around to debt-free where it is actually giving money back to the people?

Did he take on his own party and brazenly call them wrong when they were out of line?

Has he put his career at risk by exposing corruption?

Did he take on the greedy big oil companies who were blocking a pipeline that would benefit millions of people?

Did he see the error of earmarking and then stand firmly against it and other wasteful spending?

Did he do anything like this at all — not to mention doing it in less than two years time? I didn’t think so.

If Sarah Palin were an ordinary looking man age 50 with that kind of a record, people wouldn’t be calling him a bimbo and a ditz.

People call her unqualified (and unmentionably worse) only because she is a beautiful woman. And that is sexism, dirty, nasty sexism, plain and simple.

The truth is, there are lots of governors without foreign policy experience who have done just fine as presidents — Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan, to name one from each party.

It would have been redundant for John McCain to duplicate himself in picking someone strong on foreign policy. And Sarah Palin has at least commanded one of the nation’s most active National Guards with special forces responsible for keeping an eye on Russia, Obama hasn’t even done that.

Sarah Palin has more experience than Obama all the way around. She has a stronger record of reform and an excellent track record of getting good things done in a timely manner.

Anyone who tells you that she is unqualified is either sexist or is a feminist who doesn’t think conservative women with morals should have rights, too."

November 1, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  25. RICHARD

ITS SAD TO SEE A NEWS COMPANY BE SO BIAS IN THERE REPORTING. WHERES THE NUTRUAL ROAD THAT YOU NEWS AGENCY ARE SUPOSE TO AHERE TO. THE WAY CNN REPORTS CAN MAKE SOMEONE OR SOMETHING BE GOOD OR BAD. YOU HAVE TRUELY LOST MY TOTAL RESPECT FOR CNN. MSN AS FAR AS I CAN SEE IS MORE DIGNIFIED THAN YOUR REPORTING. WHEN AND IF I GO TO YOUR WEB SITE I WILL BE MORE JUDGEMENTAL AS YOU ARE IN YOUR REPORTING. LETS SEE WHAT THE POLLS WOULD SAY ABOUT HOW YOUR REPORT THE NEWS.

November 1, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |