November 1st, 2008

Biden: Never thought I'd see this from McCain

Sen. Biden took a shot at Sen. McCain during a campaign stop in Indiana Saturday.

EVANSVILLE, Indiana (CNN) – The morning after Joe Biden told reporters he hoped John McCain would finish the campaign with a positive tone - “his strength” - the Delaware senator said he doesn’t remember a presidential campaign ending so viciously.

“In my view, over the last few weeks, John McCain’s campaign has gone way over the top,” said Biden Saturday at an outdoor rally on Evansville’s Main Street. “They are trying to take the low road to the highest office in the land. It’s not only George Bush’s economic policies that John McCain has bought hook, line and sinker. He’s also bought Karl Rove’s brand of political tactics.”

“It is disappointing, I never thought I’d see this from a McCain campaign,” Biden continued. “They’re calling Barack Obama every name in the book. They are going out in a way that I don’t recall it being more personally vicious.”

As a supporter yelled, “They’re scared!” the Delaware senator predicted that the tone would get worse in the last three days.

Stopping in Indiana for a morning rally in the middle of a two-day bus tour through Ohio, Biden said he and his wife Jill rose early Saturday. Mrs. Biden went running along the Ohio river while the senator was “walking and running.”

“I tell you, it's getting harder to keep up with her,” he told the crowd.

On her run, Mrs. Biden met a nun who was running and going to mass early so she could make it to the vice presidential nominee’s rally. Returning to the hotel, Mrs. Biden reminded her husband, a devout Catholic, that he hadn’t yet gone to All-Saints Day mass.

“Sister Jean-Michelle, I made 9:00. I made 9:00 mass. I just want to thank you,” said Biden, scanning the crowd for the nun. “I'll call my mom some time during the day and the first thing she'll ask me, 'Joey did you go to mass?' So you saved me, sister. You saved me.”

Mrs. Biden introduced her husband, taking off her coat at the podium to reveal an elegant, bright red dress that got a roar of approval from the audience.

“I didn’t think it would cause that much of a stir,” she responded.

Filed under: Indiana • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. Gloria Moran

Sen. Joe Biden is correct; the McCain/Palin campaign has been vicious, dirty, and a disgrace to the American election process!!

I am very proud to support Barack Obama and Joe Biden. Their campaign has been uplifting, hopeful, and dignified. I cannot wait to get to my polling place early on Tuesday morning to cast my vote! I only wish MN had early voting–I would have been there days ago!

Go Obama/Biden '08!!

November 1, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  2. Dick

great!

November 1, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  3. Roxanne Ryals

John McCain and Sarah Palin pander to what some fear about each other - the fact that some one is different means they should be feared and reviled. Sarah Palin embodies what some America have embraced and George Bush has promoted and reveled in - mediocrity. Remember his comment - "C students can become President". We need and deserve someone who is brilliant, patient, open to the world as it is, idea forward and not rooted in the past. John McCain looks like "yesterday" and Barak Obama embodies "tomorrow" - Sarah Palin is what you see is what you get - "not ready for the Prime Time Players".

November 1, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  4. Love Huckabee

I did, McCain is a lunatic. Even Romney said so, and has since deserted him!

November 1, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  5. Joe Who?

i thought Obama put a muzzle on this fool. Everytime he opens his mouth it's a disaster. Everyone please pray he does't have to take over from Obama. You think Palin is lacking, this guy is a complete zero who has never accomplished anything. At least Sarah Palin tripled the taxes on big oil and sends each Alaskan a check for $ 3256 every year as well as eliminating property taxes and cancelling the fuel tax.

November 1, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  6. drkman1

I am not surprise in the way john mccain and palin are running their campaign. They want this election so bad, that the will do anything and say anything to leave something ugly behind when this is over. They know this is over for them. It's just like a kid in a fight. When he knows he can't win physically, he will resort to name calling and then run away hoping he did some damage in his wake. Lord knows, I want Obama to win bad!! Just to have a different face other than a white hair white face is a change. I'm not trying to be racist. I am saying that anyone other than the same stereotype president we had would welcome a change. The world is looking at us. They are ready for the change not the same of mccshame. Love.

November 1, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  7. henry

Biden is such a risk to this nation as he has not only drank Obama's cool-aid and is drunk on it, he is totally blind to Obama's evil agenda.

Biden has sold his soul to the devil to be VP candidate and has lost all discernment and coninues to lie for the antichrist.

November 1, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  8. Erik from Real PA

And never mind the things Obama won't raise on his trip along the high road: McCain and the Keating 5, McCain's relationship with G. Gordon Liddy, Palin's abuse of power designation and state ethics law violation, Palin's questionable per diem and family travel reimbursements, McCain cheating on his handicapped wife with a prescription drug abuser, and so on

November 1, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  9. Voted for OBAMA on Tuesday in Louisiana

Yes Joey! You are right! John McCain has lost a lot of honor in this election. Please people really look at Obama's message. He's been honorable throughout this campaign. And yes he actually has brains!

November 1, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  10. New Day

Its too bad. I know McCain wont have another crack at the white house but, I thought he was better than this.

November 1, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  11. Peter (CA)

I didn't expect it either Joe.

But, it is what the Republicans are all about. They screw everything up, have no ideas on how to fix it, so they use lies, distortions, racism, fear, and whatever else they can come up with in order to stay in power.

November 1, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  12. Ronnie

What do you expect from republicians? This smells of pure evil (Karl Rove).Republicians can never win fairly,they always have to cheat and lie.

November 1, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  13. Obama is for UNITING of the PEOPLE

McCain, who coughed and sounded hoarse at a chilly rally in this conservative region with a large military presence. Maybe if McCain started telling the TRUTH about Obama's TAX plan, he would feel better!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just what God and the doctor would order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, Obama stated he would offer McCain an position in his administration.........he can't even look you in the EYE Obama, so what ever it is he will need something with no eye contact!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 1, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  14. bk

If Obama wins I will never call him President. He and his wife are anti-american racist. They don't deserve to be anywhere near our White House.

November 1, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  15. common sense

Where are Palin's medical records? She said she would release them, but she has not. Palin Lie #1,827.

November 1, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  16. Ben in NC

That's because he never was around this late in a presidential campaign. LOL.

November 1, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  17. Jacklyn, NC

Thank you, Joe Biden for having the guts to say something about all of the personal viciousness that McCain is stirring up these last few days of the race where he is terribly behind. He is the epithamy of pathetic. His old, winkle, one foot in the grave needs to go back to AZ and sit his A– down and try to keep his drug family in tact. Now how's taht for getting negative.

November 1, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  18. Lisa

Well... we all know that Mccain is deseperate. I have been following this election from beginning to the end and every time John McCain speaks and move those arms around shows the anger that he has built up inside him. He is a SAOR loser!

November 1, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  19. Paul Wall in Dallas

Joe, it's you and Barack. you are both doing a great job. he was lamenting how it was sad to see McCain taking the lowest road to the highest office. someone said "they're scared." that's the worst that was said. what do you hear at McCain rallies "Hussein!", 'terrorist", "Muslim", "kill him."
    keep doing what you're doing Joe.
    we'll be there to vote for you and Barack! you can count on us.
    Yes We Can

November 1, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  20. Catholic-mom-4-OBAMA

I agree with Joe Biden. We are former Republicans who donated to McCain's 2000 campaign! (they are still sending us letters!)

We are stunned and disturbed by the VILE tone of the McCain campaign. And the irony is that the vile backfires on the Republicans and they continue to attack, lie and spew fear hoping that something will stick!

My husband, and all the folks we know are disgusted with the McCain/Palin campaign. We can not believe that McCain a man, we once supported could be so......... hateful and vile!

PS. and choose such a ultra-right-wing running mate.... wink.

November 1, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  21. PK

Have Republicans become negative or have they always been that way. We even have Arnold Schwarzenegger making fun of Obama being skinny while campaigning for McCain. How low can Republicans go.

November 1, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  22. Kina, A Veteran in NYC

neither did i, Sen. Biden...i'm a vet and i have so much respect for Sen. McCain, but i'm very disappointed 'bout the way he's allowed his advisors to run this campaign...this sure ain't the American way and i hope Sen. McCain will come out and admit it after the elections, win or lose, and gain some of his credibility back...caus, right now, he's at an all-time low with the ppl of this nation...God Bless the US Armed Forces and the United States of America...
    Pls don't hold on my comment, MODERATOR...HAHA..

Obama/Biden 08.

Kina.

November 1, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  23. d

I know Joe he seem like a nice guy but his choice of VP, his handling off the Economic crisis, and his negative campaign has just turn me off.

November 1, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  24. Jdm

Human reaction to fear normally cause a fight or run action. Mcain and Plain are choosing to fight. However, when you got a stick and the other person got a tank, I think the smart thing to do is run until later.
    Old men and really young warriors figth in this manner. They are trying to prove thier worth. This is a really sad moment for a war POW war hero like Mcain and political death for Palin. But there can only be one winner in any game exspect T-ball. Go figure!

November 1, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  25. MARI

Mr. Biden you have run an upbeat 7 clean campaign. I'm sure you were tempted many, many times to answer some of the vitriolic & false accusations that were thrown at you.
    I believe that Sen. Obama has the potential to bring America to the forefront of respectability again. That he will depend upon your good & honest uedgement. A " thinking team" finally going to occupy the White House. But, I am still keeping my fingers crossed................Hope is eternal. Optimism is keeping it alive. Tuesday is so soon. God bless you both.

November 1, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |