November 1st, 2008

Biden: Never thought I'd see this from McCain

Sen. Biden took a shot at Sen. McCain during a campaign stop in Indiana Saturday.

EVANSVILLE, Indiana (CNN) – The morning after Joe Biden told reporters he hoped John McCain would finish the campaign with a positive tone - “his strength” - the Delaware senator said he doesn’t remember a presidential campaign ending so viciously.

“In my view, over the last few weeks, John McCain’s campaign has gone way over the top,” said Biden Saturday at an outdoor rally on Evansville’s Main Street. “They are trying to take the low road to the highest office in the land. It’s not only George Bush’s economic policies that John McCain has bought hook, line and sinker. He’s also bought Karl Rove’s brand of political tactics.”

“It is disappointing, I never thought I’d see this from a McCain campaign,” Biden continued. “They’re calling Barack Obama every name in the book. They are going out in a way that I don’t recall it being more personally vicious.”

As a supporter yelled, “They’re scared!” the Delaware senator predicted that the tone would get worse in the last three days.

Stopping in Indiana for a morning rally in the middle of a two-day bus tour through Ohio, Biden said he and his wife Jill rose early Saturday. Mrs. Biden went running along the Ohio river while the senator was “walking and running.”

“I tell you, it's getting harder to keep up with her,” he told the crowd.

On her run, Mrs. Biden met a nun who was running and going to mass early so she could make it to the vice presidential nominee’s rally. Returning to the hotel, Mrs. Biden reminded her husband, a devout Catholic, that he hadn’t yet gone to All-Saints Day mass.

“Sister Jean-Michelle, I made 9:00. I made 9:00 mass. I just want to thank you,” said Biden, scanning the crowd for the nun. “I'll call my mom some time during the day and the first thing she'll ask me, 'Joey did you go to mass?' So you saved me, sister. You saved me.”

Mrs. Biden introduced her husband, taking off her coat at the podium to reveal an elegant, bright red dress that got a roar of approval from the audience.

“I didn’t think it would cause that much of a stir,” she responded.

Filed under: Indiana • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. California Gold

Well Joe, we are seeing a side of McCain many have known about but an ugly side he has succeeded in hiding from the public. Until 2008. His delight as he descends into the sewer has been disgusting.

November 1, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  2. Nico Sciscente

I'm not surprised by the tactics of the McCain campaign......they appeal to the ignorant and uneducated and racist.........are we to believe now that what is so important is Obama's distant aunt?.......you know what.......if McCain was running against a dog........I'd vote for the dog at this point........leave up to the Republicans to plant an unknown idiot as a plumber and turn him into a hero. Whenever you think they can't possibly reach any lower.....wham......another joke comes out......you know who loses?.......The american citizens!!........The U.S. is loosing it's face...it's respect.......whatever it stood for has gone out the window.........all because of the Republicans!!!!!

November 1, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  3. Te

Someone stop Rove, Tom Delay, Palin and Scooter Libby from destroying social security!!!

Hopefully, McCain,73, will retire now.

November 1, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  4. Ralph Humphrey

I love Senators Biden and Obama. They are honorable men conducting honorable campaigns, unlike McCain and Palin who are running the most hateful and detestable campaigns I have ever seen. If there is any justice in this world the team of Obama/Biden will be victorious in Tuesday's election and McCain and Palin can retreat in disgrace, for they are the most disgraceful human beings I have seen in a long long time.

November 1, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  5. sophia nyc

Cheney just endorsed McCain. The kiss of death, hopefully.

November 1, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  6. TAINOPOWER

Obama tax plan ? From 250,000 to 200,000 Biden say 150,000 and now the New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson say 120,000? and obama is not in power yet . Wen he does don’t know how low will it go? Maybe under 42,000. Well at least the people that don’t pay taxes are going to be happy. I will do my best to keep my taxes low .I will vote for McCain.

November 1, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  7. Diana Ewing NJ

Mr. Biden, you are not the only so disappointed in McCain. As soon as his VP was introduced at the convention he started to hit low and dirty.

Two major choices he has made tells me what he is made of.... First it was hiding behind the skirt of his VP's mouth and attacks.... and now he has brought in Joe the Plumber...

Last I hear he was bringing them both to Washington and if he win he will then tells us how to catch Ben Ladin???? This is our hero and fine American???

November 1, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  8. No Hillary = No Obama

And what planet does Joe Biden live on? This is another problem I have with the Obama-Biden ticket – their self-righteous, goody-two-shoes, holier-than-thou – "we're just better people" subtext. Obama impresses me as the type of person who will sell you the world ("togehter we can change the world") and as soon as he gets what he wants, sell you out.

November 1, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  9. Tell the TRUTH just once McWar /Phailling

McCain crowd at Convention
    Few people of color/most were white / most were older generation .

Obama crowd at convention
    People of all Nationalities and color/all ages young to older generation.

The Crowds at the campaigns run much the same

Since I am not alone seeing this first hand how can a campaign be representing all the people of thisCountry when age groups /nationalities are not even present.

Good reading Huffington Post(Official who lobbied for Saddam donated heavily to the GoP Committies)

November 1, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  10. John

Ok McCain wants to get down and dirty.
    1) McCain was palling around with communists for five years
    2)He willingly offered up military secrets for medical treatment
    3) He gave money half a million dollars to Khalidi a PLO terrorist
    4)He is still palling around with a secessionist and her husband she opened the convention with the keynote speech for the Alaska secessionist party in June 2008.
    5) John McCain will redistribute more of the wealth to the top 10% of earners.
    6) John McCain will killm off Medicare
    7) john McCain will kill off Medicaid
    8) John McCain will privatise your social security and in todays Market that means foget any help when your down on your luck.
    9) John McCain will initiate other wars possibly with Iran, Syria Russia and Packistan
    10) McCain will destroy what he does not understand THE US ECONOMY.

November 1, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  11. No McCain

You are right Joe, they are taking a lw level tone in their campaigne....but in a few days we will see that the price they will pay will be very very high....JUST a few days to go!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your sevice to our nation Joe.

November 1, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  12. OHIO FOR OBAMA

that is because they are lying losers. they dont know anything about the issues, so they do what republicans do best. lie and name call. they are just showing their true colors. both mcsame and pitbull in lipstick (her words not my) are losers in my book.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008/2012

November 1, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  13. Billy

WHEN IS PALIN RELEASING HER MEDICAL RECORDS AS PROMISED?

Why is CNN refusing to cover this story?

November 1, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  14. Sam

The Bidens are such nice people. Unlike Palin and her hateful bunch. Thank God not everyone in this campaign is nasty, condescending and spiteful just to win.

November 1, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  15. Smart1

McCain has sold his sole to the Devil for the price of power, that is the sign of a man who has no integrity. Yet when the same campaign strategist he has hired exposed his wives drug habit and theft of drugs he was angry and in disbelief of how low the Bush camp could go. Yet it ddin't stop him from running the same kind of campaign, this is a sign of character and Mc Cains character is one that would LIE, CHEAT, STEAL even if it turns the voters away from which the polls show the effect this has had on his campaign. His own party doesn't respect or have faith in him, they have more faith in Palin the embacile than they do in Mc Cain. That says a lot about the Repulselican party. He will see after this election is over how much it wasn't worth him losing the little respect people had for him.

CNN I KNOW HOW PRO-MCCAIN YOU ARE BUT STILL POST MY COMMENT.

November 1, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  16. Lucy

It's all fun and games till somebody gets their eye poked out...If I were McSame, I'd start playing nice. We'll see who he will be calling Mr. President on 1/20/09. I've waited so long.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

November 1, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  17. w.l. jones

To by past the fine print from aboard (state Department) it will be impossible to decipher ,understand national security. Only a train mind (Lawyer or legal aids) said enough.

November 1, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  18. Soccer mom from Canada

I am very upset by McCain's and Palin's incendiary methods of campaigning. They rev up their base in a very divisive manner. They pit republicans against democrats in a way that demonizes democrats as being un-American. American against American. In these times that require unity? How dare they? They incite hate and violence. To hear someone yelling "terrorist" or "kill him" about another American is disturbing. Worse yet, it went unanswered as this is what they are aiming for. This is unacceptable behavior for two people who want to govern all the people. They also stir racial tensions by preying on people's fears. After all the reason why some people would fear Obama is because they believe that he would not have their best interest at heart. McCain and Palin are less scary because they are white. However, there is a long list of not questionable, but factual dealings, McCain has in his past and present. As well, there is a long list for her young years, that Palin has from accusations of abuse of power to her involvement with a group that wants to separate from the U.S. Separation is an ideology that doesn't just go away. I am from Quebec, Canada so I know about this. We have to deal with this endlessly. Everything about McCain and Palin show why they should absolutely not be in power.

November 1, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  19. Alex ednie

Kill America, vote Bush and Dick. Bush and Dick, they go together well, but it's not just America and Bush who are getting screwed.

November 1, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  20. Arielle Yanaba

I like Jill Biden alot! She will be a great 2nd lady!

November 1, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  21. White mother for Obama

Palin and Dole are nothing but republican skanks.

November 1, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  22. sarahinfla

Why did anyone ever think that John McCain was a man of honor.
    His legacy has been a womanizer, who deserted his family for personal gain.

Criminal activity ( Keating 5)

Treasonous remarks against our great country..... 60 minutes interview.

WALLACE: (Voiceover) People who know McCain well say he can hold a grudge. He also has a legendary temper. But if McCain can be hard on his friends and even harder on his enemies, he can also be very hard on himself.

Sen. McCAIN: I m–made serious, serious mistakes and did things wrong when I was in prison, OK?

WALLACE: What did you do wrong in prison?

Sen. McCAIN: I wrote a confession. I was guilty of war crimes against the Vietnamese people. I intentionally bombed women and children.

WALLACE: And you did it because you were being tortured...

Sen. McCAIN: I...

WALLACE: ...and you'd reached the end of the line.

Sen. McCAIN: Yes. But I should have gone further. I should have–I–I never believed that I would–that I would break, and I did.

So if a person breaks / cracks that means we don't Know when it will happen again....Can we afford to take that chanceI think not.

Hero maybe honorable not by a long shot.

November 1, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  23. Hilary

It's sad that he's resorted to this kind of campaign. Desperation makes people do ugly things, I guess.

November 1, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  24. therealmarie

The McCain/Palin campaign has proven to be scum and extension on Bush/Rove politics. If he is running his campaign with smears and lies now, what do you think he would be doing to US if he gets into the White House?

November 1, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  25. Neeraj

Well Joe, I agree somewhat. I wouldn't have expected that from the McCain of 2000. I did, however, expect the rubbish and lies of John McCain in 2008

November 1, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |