November 1st, 2008

Biden: Never thought I'd see this from McCain

Sen. Biden took a shot at Sen. McCain during a campaign stop in Indiana Saturday.

EVANSVILLE, Indiana (CNN) – The morning after Joe Biden told reporters he hoped John McCain would finish the campaign with a positive tone - “his strength” - the Delaware senator said he doesn’t remember a presidential campaign ending so viciously.

“In my view, over the last few weeks, John McCain’s campaign has gone way over the top,” said Biden Saturday at an outdoor rally on Evansville’s Main Street. “They are trying to take the low road to the highest office in the land. It’s not only George Bush’s economic policies that John McCain has bought hook, line and sinker. He’s also bought Karl Rove’s brand of political tactics.”

“It is disappointing, I never thought I’d see this from a McCain campaign,” Biden continued. “They’re calling Barack Obama every name in the book. They are going out in a way that I don’t recall it being more personally vicious.”

As a supporter yelled, “They’re scared!” the Delaware senator predicted that the tone would get worse in the last three days.

Stopping in Indiana for a morning rally in the middle of a two-day bus tour through Ohio, Biden said he and his wife Jill rose early Saturday. Mrs. Biden went running along the Ohio river while the senator was “walking and running.”

“I tell you, it's getting harder to keep up with her,” he told the crowd.

On her run, Mrs. Biden met a nun who was running and going to mass early so she could make it to the vice presidential nominee’s rally. Returning to the hotel, Mrs. Biden reminded her husband, a devout Catholic, that he hadn’t yet gone to All-Saints Day mass.

“Sister Jean-Michelle, I made 9:00. I made 9:00 mass. I just want to thank you,” said Biden, scanning the crowd for the nun. “I'll call my mom some time during the day and the first thing she'll ask me, 'Joey did you go to mass?' So you saved me, sister. You saved me.”

Mrs. Biden introduced her husband, taking off her coat at the podium to reveal an elegant, bright red dress that got a roar of approval from the audience.

“I didn’t think it would cause that much of a stir,” she responded.

Filed under: Indiana • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. Chris

I am a democrat and I never thought Joe Bidden would do what he has done. I know for a fact that his people campaigned hard for him to be the running mate, but I never thought he would have the hatefullness he has shown. I don't believe for one minute he supports Obama, I believe he supports the party but not Obama , like the Clinton.s You don't support someone who you just a few months ago said wasn't fit for president and who you also said McCain would be better.

November 1, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  2. lovable liberal

It's only going to get worse after the election of Obama-Biden. The remaining Congressional Republicans, as well as a bunch of GOP has-beens will attack, and the wingnut media will attack, attack, attack. The MSM will pick up the smears because they're out there.

And then they'll call for bipartisanship once Jan. 20 comes.

November 1, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  3. gail

they are scared, and a mean type of people not ones I want to represent me or my country

November 1, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  4. Alameda Chris

The rotting corpse of the GOP sure is starting to stink!!

November 1, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  5. Alois

Can't wait for this election to end.I am sick of hearing Palins ignorance and Mc Cains garbage mouth always talking about the other guy running for President yet they are incapable of formulating an original thought that matters to all Americans. It is the Bush Republicans that allowed White Color Criminals run Wall street and the rest of the Banking Mafia and it is the Republican Party that is owned by big Oil, big Auto, the Health Insurance Mafia ,the Gun Manufacturers and the rest of Corporate America who under the Republican Banner of "No Regulation" stole what they could Enron Style.Change is in the air and here is a quote to think about"Quote of the Week
    'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.'
    Thomas Jefferson 1802

November 1, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  6. Paul Germana

OMG!!!!! I just heard the crowd in Fairfax County Virginia, at a McCain rally shouting regarding Obama, “SEND HIM BACK!!!” Nice people ya got there on your side McCain!!!!!!

November 1, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  7. Neeraj

Oh, BTW....people are bashing CNN as Pro-McCain, except that Obama advertises on their website. So, like me, and most of America, CNN is pro-Obama. It's true they have more articles about McCain's ticket than Obama, but read them carefully: They always little snide remarks, like "as usual," "not surprisingly", etc and have fact check statements in non-fact check articles, meaning that they invalidate McCain Palin's arguments without being asked to. CNN = Obama

November 1, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  8. kemp3

I think something that Obama touched on in his interview with Rachel Maddow has been completely overlooked by the media. McCain and Palin have been so vile, and so personal, both against Obama and against the Democratic Party that WILL be the majority in both Houses of Congress – in the unlikely event he wins he's going to be very challenged to get them to go along with anything he hopes to try to accomplish. I think after 8 years of Bush doing whatever he wants and Congress bending to his will, there's no interest in another round of that kind of "leadership."

Obama, on the other hand, has focused his attacks on John McCain and George Bush, not on the GOP Congressional leadership.

November 1, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  9. mccain/palin = bush/cheney

Joe Biden is right, mccain is showing signs of desperation which is causing him to do and say anything. I think this is a character and a judgement issue. He has sunk to a new low, I wonder how he would deal with stressful situations if he were elected?

November 1, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  10. Donna Tripodi

I am appalled at Gov. Schwarzeneggers remarks about Barak Obama. When you are so desperate as to make remarks about his so called "scrawny body" that is pathetic. I am 65 years young and I am always teaching my grand-kids to say good things about others, and to be respectful. We have been encourgaging them to follow the presidental race, to get a better understanding of government and an appreciation of the good old U.S.A. They like Obama, and have been cheering him on. After hearing the remarks made by the Republicans. their comments have been "they are mean people Nan, they say hurtful things, I am not going to be like that when I grow up!"
    What have we come too, Not only is the world watching, our children are too!! The nastiness is beyond anything I have ever seen.

November 1, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  11. therealmarie

CNN want a story of substance? Palin's medical records. Why aren't they being released? Why no coveragor do you only take your leads from DRudge?

November 1, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  12. Chela

Of course McCain sinks this low – he sold his soul to Karl Rove in a desperate attempt to elect the Presidency. So pathetic!

Vote for real men of real honor: Obama/Biden 08!

November 1, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  13. Neal

The only way bad policies can win is by capitalizing on illogical fears.

November 1, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  14. Maggie from Virginia

McCain is being McCain.

November 1, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  15. Gia

Like Barack says, let's not get complacent, people. Just remember, all the Republican rac*sts will be out in droves on Tuesday.

November 1, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  16. Paul Germana

DON"T MODERATE MY COMMENT!!! GO LISTEN AND SEE FOR YOURSELF! MCCAIN PUTS UP HIS HANDS, TRYING TO MAKE THEM STOP, BUT THEN HE JUST GIVES UP! AND THEY KEEP SHOUTING, "SEND HIM BACK!!!!" They don't care if it is misconstrued, they think provocation is the way to win the vote; which sadly it has been in the last 10 yrs. NO MORE!!!! GO OBAMA!!!!!!!! Heal America!!!

November 1, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  17. Walt

John McCain's campaign has been the most vicious I have seen in the last 40 years. He has destroyed his reputation and proven himself not to be the American hero many of us once thought he was. What a sad, pathetic way to destroy your political and personal legacy. He sold his soul during this election season.

November 1, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  18. Joe Green

Palin = Ernst Rolm

McCain = Hitler

If McCain is smart, he'll have a "night of the long knives" and purge the Republican part of the Palin influence.

The Palin rallies are looking more and more like skinhead fests.

November 1, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  19. GARY

ATLEAST HE DONT NEED TO SWIFTBOAT HIS OWN SIDE OUT OF THE RACE AND BUY THE RACE WITH THE HELP OF THE DNC, MONEY AND MEDIA. OBAMA HAS A LOT OF ILLEGAL DONATIONS ,BUT THEY LET HIM SLIDE BY, JUST LIKE ILLEGAL VOTES THROUGH ACORN ETC. IF THAT WAS JOHN MCCAIN THEY WOULD BE SLAMMING HIM AQLL OVER AND CHECKING THROUGH EVERYTHING. OBAMA GOT A QUESTION THAT HE DIDN'T LIKE FROM JOE THE PLUMBER ,SO HE HAD HIM INVESTAGATED. WHAT A DICK.

November 1, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  20. billmel8er

Unfortunately, we have to endure another few days of McCain's and Palin's childish and incendiary rants.

Let's hope America has the good sense to put an end to them come Tuesday.

November 1, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  21. Tom in Delaware

Rove was right...Biden really is a Blowhard Doofus.

November 1, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  22. independent 2008

The McCain/Bush camp has become a sick, ugly, xenophobic bunch. Leaking someone immigration files is as low as they come.
    He has cashed in with the republican anti-immigrant bunch.
    So much for the family is off limits.
    Obama/Biden 08

November 1, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  23. Paul , Canada

I'll tell you what is scary and what is over the top.
    I was watching the opening of John McCains rally last evening on Cnn with the Governor of California. I am absolutly disgusted at the way he made remarks about Senator OBama's arms,legs and such. The people in America deserve better than this type of terrible trash talk. And i see John McCain was just going along with it hoping the smear machine worked up the crowd. Not all in that audience liked what they were hearing from what we could see.

My Question is if John McCain is elected President will he consider laughing at all the different people under his care just because they are thin , a little over weight or maybe people with disabilities. I guess if you are not just like him you are considered a joke.
    Shame on Arnold and even more shame on McCain.

November 1, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  24. Arlene, Illinois

With supporters like this how can John McCain not win?

Sean Hannity
    Megyn Kelly
    Ann Coulter
    Michelle Malkin
    Russ Limbaugh
    George W. Bush
    Joe the Plumber
    Tito the Builder

November 1, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  25. Cynthia

I love Joe Biden He has been around a while a seen a lot.

McCain=(Bush, Cheney & Rove)

November 1, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |