November 1st, 2008

Biden: Never thought I'd see this from McCain

Sen. Biden took a shot at Sen. McCain during a campaign stop in Indiana Saturday.

EVANSVILLE, Indiana (CNN) – The morning after Joe Biden told reporters he hoped John McCain would finish the campaign with a positive tone - “his strength” - the Delaware senator said he doesn’t remember a presidential campaign ending so viciously.

“In my view, over the last few weeks, John McCain’s campaign has gone way over the top,” said Biden Saturday at an outdoor rally on Evansville’s Main Street. “They are trying to take the low road to the highest office in the land. It’s not only George Bush’s economic policies that John McCain has bought hook, line and sinker. He’s also bought Karl Rove’s brand of political tactics.”

“It is disappointing, I never thought I’d see this from a McCain campaign,” Biden continued. “They’re calling Barack Obama every name in the book. They are going out in a way that I don’t recall it being more personally vicious.”

As a supporter yelled, “They’re scared!” the Delaware senator predicted that the tone would get worse in the last three days.

Stopping in Indiana for a morning rally in the middle of a two-day bus tour through Ohio, Biden said he and his wife Jill rose early Saturday. Mrs. Biden went running along the Ohio river while the senator was “walking and running.”

“I tell you, it's getting harder to keep up with her,” he told the crowd.

On her run, Mrs. Biden met a nun who was running and going to mass early so she could make it to the vice presidential nominee’s rally. Returning to the hotel, Mrs. Biden reminded her husband, a devout Catholic, that he hadn’t yet gone to All-Saints Day mass.

“Sister Jean-Michelle, I made 9:00. I made 9:00 mass. I just want to thank you,” said Biden, scanning the crowd for the nun. “I'll call my mom some time during the day and the first thing she'll ask me, 'Joey did you go to mass?' So you saved me, sister. You saved me.”

Mrs. Biden introduced her husband, taking off her coat at the podium to reveal an elegant, bright red dress that got a roar of approval from the audience.

“I didn’t think it would cause that much of a stir,” she responded.

Filed under: Indiana • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. robin

For Heavens sake ...ALL independants , Bless you but OPEN your eyes ! You have to pay more attention to how biased the liberal ( incl CNN ) is ! Please !

November 1, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  2. carol

Yes, the McCain campaign has been a disgrace and McCain himself can no longer think he is anyway honorable!!!!
    I just hope that all this vile, rabble rousing that they have caused will come back to haunt them....they both still have to exist outside this election and I'm sure their actions may have distanced a lot of people from them.
    I think we are all ready to see election over with and get on with getting this country back on track.....Sen Obama alongside Sen Biden will make that happen.
    Boy, do we need a change from this divisiveness we've had over the past weeks from the McCain camp....this country needs healing and it will only get done if we elect Sen Obama next Tuesday.
    So, if you haven't voted yet....please get out there and do it as soon as you can..we can't afford to let this opportunity slip away by letting McCain and Palin anywhere near the White House.

GO OBAMA/BIDEN 08

November 1, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  3. T. Rothchild

McCain / Palin = Fascism and McCarthyism. (You are judged by the
    company you keep, spy on your neighbors , you are unAmerican and un patriotic if you don't do what we say, be afraid, be very afraid while we take you to the cleaners, etc.)

Democrats = Freedom and individual rights and liberty.
    Free yourselves. (Sit on your porches and decks if you want).

Democrats 08.

November 1, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  4. Grace Needed

Senator Biden you are a good man! We are so glad that Senator Obama picked you as a running mate and we like to think of you getting around the White House and going over to the Capitol to meet with friends to help get things done! You are a credible, proven hard worker who can reach across the aisle even after this terribly challenging campaign because you've kept your dignity and integrity and we're proud of you!

November 1, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  5. lbh

He was a POW and war hero. He was a senator with a good reputation. I thought about voting for him. But then he just derailed. it started with the witch for a running mate – what was he thinking? And his campaign has devolved from there into something so ugly and soiled that I cannot imagine him ever regaining his stature. Nor do I know how he sleeps at night? He has taken the worst pages from Rove, Gingrich, Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld et al and remade himself in their image. It is both disappointing and disgraceful. McCain we don't respect you anymore.

November 1, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  6. Josh

McCain has not changed. As he undergoes scrutiny his style of decision making emerges more vividly. "Steve Colbert" who lampooned Bush might say that John McCain also rules by gut instincts. These decision may make him look like a "maverick" but shows his incompetence as a balanced leader – capable of listening to diverse opinions, ability to internalize data, and seek advice.

The sad truth is the impulsive way John McCain has run his campaign, reflects so poorly on his decision making process and that there is no other choice but to vote Obama.

Go Obama, best of luck!

November 1, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  7. Al

The so called "Right" has proven what has been suspected in this Country for decades. They institutionally support racism, hate and fear mongering. It's time to stomach the fact that Barack Hussein Obama is as much white as he is black. You could see that if you weren't so busy playing God!

November 1, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  8. Zeppo

Obama predicted that McCain would say "look how dark that man is!"

McCain didn't.

Biden is saying "They are going to get dirty!"

I just watched Palin's speech and she was focused heavily on the McCain Tax Plan, which incidentally sounded pretty good. They said they are going to double the tax deduction for dependants.

This has been Obama's defense the whole time..

"Look how dirty they are going to be!"

November 1, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  9. MartinP

Yes, and now Palin's rallies don't have McCain's name on any of the signs, banners or other literature.

Senator McCain, I feel bad for you. You were a great man, and you put your campaign and your reputation in the hands of liars and thieves.

The funniest part? In 2012 Palin will throw her hat into the ring, and Huckabee, Romney and Guliani will tear her throat out.

November 1, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  10. Iris

Palin referred to the countries who have socialism and stated that "those people are not free".Well this would sure be news to the folks in the UK, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany and innumerable others who have a higher standard of living and more peaceful society that we do. They do know and teach history and they also have a much higher literacy rate, something for which Palin is a (horrible) example.I was going to vote McCain until he exemplified horrendous judgment in choosing this airhead.

November 1, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  11. Tom in Delaware

Hey Biden, have you and Pelosi atoned for your sins about your blasphemous stance over supporting abortion.

40 million murdered since Roe vs. Wade, and you were in office for 36 years; Perhaps you should just stay in church and pray for forgiveness, you hypocrite.

Take that Rev. Wright loving, baby-killer Obama with you.

November 1, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  12. Wanting the truth

To Gary:

Wow, nice maturity.

If you can't put a civil message in here without referring to parts of the human anatomy, you have real issues. Seems to happen a lot with McCain/Palin supporters these days.

P.S. Your Caps Lock is on. You might want to turn it off. (Try the spell checker, too.)

November 1, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  13. Frank

my friends,,,,,,,,when you enter that booth ,, ask yourself 1 question, and only 1, if mccain wins, ,, god forbid something happens to him ,she will be in the oval office ,, that alone should is scary ,, that is enough to vote obama and biden in ...

November 1, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  14. Dave Hansen

McCain, may not be your hero but he is mine.

He tells the truth. Like it or not. He went back to a prison camp rather then save his own skin. Obama doesn't do anything to help his own family. I guess it isn't convenient for him. He should be ashamed to let a half brother live on $1.00 per day. When questioned about his pastor, his aunt ect. his response the same "I don't know." That is pretty sad.

November 1, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  15. JAY N.H.

Gov. Schwarzenegger is jealous because he could never be president. Just another "Rich guy" supporting McGimp.

November 1, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  16. Brenda C

CNN why do you keep my post in moderation forever? Is your man Obama checking me out now? I haven't said anything as ugly as some of the liberal post you KEEP posting. Get over it. You report news but you will never control our votes.

November 1, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  17. gcow

I find this all rather sad.

In 2000 I would have supported a McCain/Powell ticket and I said so. McCain at that time occurred for me as an extraordinary man of integrity. No more. He sold his soul to the dark side. And unlike Faust, it doesn't look like he will even get a reward in this life.

Worse, it looks like he created a monster by naming Sarah Palin as his running mate.

What a pathetic last chapter to a life that was once held promise, possibility and contribution.

November 1, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  18. Voter

Isn't it interesting that only at Palin and McCain rallyies people who say they are christian are yelling hateful/racial words about Obama. I have yet to hear any reports of the opposite happening at an Obama rally. Why? Beause Obama is a true Christian and would not permit that type of display from his supports and Palin and McCain thrive on those type of hateful words. Not to hard to figure out how our government would be run by McCain, war, war, and more war. He is an evil person inside and it is coming out more and more every day.

November 1, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  19. Wendy

Arnold is just jealous because he can't run for President.

November 1, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  20. Arbella

It's sickening how hateful they are. I hear at their rallys you can see people with stuffed animal monkeys with Obama's head on then and signs that say the "N" word. This is not right. I am gladf that so many people are seeing this. I am so scared of Mccain winning. if he does it;s going to be horrible. It is going to promote hate and now racial tension. We are in 2008 this behavior is truly sickening.

November 1, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  21. Mark Kahle

GARY – No Barack Obama's Campaign did not have Joe the PLumber investigated, try the Media investigated him..

Try your smears somewhere else, and if you do not like your next president...its time you leave...

President Barack Obama!!

November 1, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  22. Chicka

I voted for McCain in 2000 (even wrote him in on the GE ballot) – but I'd never vote for him now.

If he had called me a "socialist" or "someone who pals around with terrorists", I'd have sued him for libel for god's sakes. How can he even get away with that?

While I'm bitterly disappointed that McCain has stooped to the ugliness that destroyed his chances in 2000, I'll be even *more* disappointed if this country falls for this kind of crap and votes him in.

We've got to start acting like adults in politics, our country depends on it. We can't spend every four year term punting things like some kind of football game.

November 1, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  23. Charla in TX

Oh, how I would love to see, when this campaign is over and Obama has won the election.......I would love to see Obama and Biden drag out a long list of items that they could have used against McCain and Palin, but in the course of honoring their promise to run a clean campaign, chose not to do.

I bet it would fill volumes.

November 1, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  24. Mark Kahle

TAINOPOWER- Once again you need to check your facts, you are COMPLETELY WRONG...

Smears are all you have, and changing a story to fit your own needs even if its not the truth!!...

NOT THIS TIME TAINOPOWER, NOT THIS TIME!!

November 1, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  25. Urban H

wow, GARY – You yell like McPain, punctuate like an Alaskan snow machine rider, and spell like Joe the tax-delinquent, unlicensed plumber.

Continue to show your rage, but take the caps lock off. Please.

November 1, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |