November 1st, 2008

Biden: Never thought I'd see this from McCain

Sen. Biden took a shot at Sen. McCain during a campaign stop in Indiana Saturday.

EVANSVILLE, Indiana (CNN) – The morning after Joe Biden told reporters he hoped John McCain would finish the campaign with a positive tone - “his strength” - the Delaware senator said he doesn’t remember a presidential campaign ending so viciously.

“In my view, over the last few weeks, John McCain’s campaign has gone way over the top,” said Biden Saturday at an outdoor rally on Evansville’s Main Street. “They are trying to take the low road to the highest office in the land. It’s not only George Bush’s economic policies that John McCain has bought hook, line and sinker. He’s also bought Karl Rove’s brand of political tactics.”

“It is disappointing, I never thought I’d see this from a McCain campaign,” Biden continued. “They’re calling Barack Obama every name in the book. They are going out in a way that I don’t recall it being more personally vicious.”

As a supporter yelled, “They’re scared!” the Delaware senator predicted that the tone would get worse in the last three days.

Stopping in Indiana for a morning rally in the middle of a two-day bus tour through Ohio, Biden said he and his wife Jill rose early Saturday. Mrs. Biden went running along the Ohio river while the senator was “walking and running.”

“I tell you, it's getting harder to keep up with her,” he told the crowd.

On her run, Mrs. Biden met a nun who was running and going to mass early so she could make it to the vice presidential nominee’s rally. Returning to the hotel, Mrs. Biden reminded her husband, a devout Catholic, that he hadn’t yet gone to All-Saints Day mass.

“Sister Jean-Michelle, I made 9:00. I made 9:00 mass. I just want to thank you,” said Biden, scanning the crowd for the nun. “I'll call my mom some time during the day and the first thing she'll ask me, 'Joey did you go to mass?' So you saved me, sister. You saved me.”

Mrs. Biden introduced her husband, taking off her coat at the podium to reveal an elegant, bright red dress that got a roar of approval from the audience.

“I didn’t think it would cause that much of a stir,” she responded.

Filed under: Indiana • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. zippy w pinhead

My answer to all the hate, the lies and the viciousness was to vote early yesterday, my Halloween treat to myself. It was quite cathartic- there's no better feeling than walking away from the polling place knowing I had made my contribution to a better America, free of the hate, bitterness and divisiveness that we've had to endure from the McCain campaign. I urge anyone reading this to close their browser and go vote right now if they can, otherwise make sure you do it first thing Tuesday morning- you'll feel so much better!

Obama/Biden 08

yes we can!

November 1, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  2. John

If Diebold and the Republican vote fraudsters steal this from Obama guess what McCain Palin will be lame ducks from Jan 20th 2009 until the end of that administration.

The House ans Senate will rule.

November 1, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  3. Country First?

McCain touts a "Country First" mantra and then hires an unqualified
    woman to protect this country? How is SHE going to protect us?
    Four start General Colin Powell himself is the one of the only few
    willing to tell the truth that she is a direct threat to our national security.
    How is she going to protect us? McCain's judgment allowed him to
    crash three planes, and get captured no disrespect. Now pick unqualified Palin. Voters had better think long and hard before they
    become guilty of aiding and abetting McCain in helping the most
    unqualified person in US history to take control of our forces.

November 1, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  4. annette

Gary, you need to state your source. CNN you need to keep an eye on some of the evil stuff and misclaims on all of your blogs, you let several slide on get complacient. You need to take action.

November 1, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  5. Chris

What's even sadder about McCain's negative attacks is that Karl Rove not only said that he has gone too far, but that he's bringing up stuff now that he probably could've much earlier. I believe this is McCain's last card to draw and he's making himself sound even more desperate.

Chris from NC

November 1, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  6. Jean 2

Michelle Obama and Jill Biden make up an awsome team, now these are woman I am proud to support and/or identify with.

November 1, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  7. Lucy

John McCain, Palin, and Elizabeth Dole have been tried every trick in the dirty Republican book to get votes when they are losing. So it is questionable why would they sacrifice their self respect for virtually a very little chance of a win. I am afraid that when we look back on these last eight years of these unbelievable detrimental mistakes from the Republican philosphy of war, tax cuts for the rich and "trickle down economy", it might mean the end of the Republican Party. Their credibility is gone, the dirty tactics should question the religious rights support, and no one trust Republicans with our economy anymore. Even the local Republican candidates have refused to put "Republican" on their posters for fear they will lose because of party affliation ...or is it afflication like the disease has spread through the Republican party as they implode in their dirty campaigns.

November 1, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  8. cony

If Jesus was walking on the earth today, while preaching the same ideas that he did 2000 years ago, the same people that proclaim that they are Christians would be the ones to crucify him again. US will continue to be divided as long as racism exist. Please read the book The Healing of America by Marianne Williamson. America needs to heal to be able to truly change for the better.

November 1, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  9. Anita of georgia

when you'll desperate to win, there's nothing a power hunger person want do to win an election.

November 1, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  10. Sue from Ct.

John McCain has proved himself to be an angry old man–he is
    beginning to look like the unstable presidents in the movies of the
    sixties and seventies. He certainly has not put me at ease and I
    am especially afraid of the anger that he and Palin promote at their
    rallies. The effects of their anger and diatribe could be devastating.

November 1, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  11. Donna from Colorado Springs

McCains campaign has been a terrible disgrace from the beginning, and if I were a republican, I would be upset. But, considering the way the republicans are taught to lie and distort the truth, I'm not surprised.

November 1, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  12. salem

WHAT IS THE HUGE SECRET PALIN IS HIDING IN HER MEDICAL FILES?????What on earth could damage her so badly that she will NOT release? What could make her ultra conservative base dump her????? What could it be???? THE BIG MEDICAL SECRET SHE WON'T TELL....????

November 1, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  13. Ron, NYC

Dick Cheney just endorsed John McCain and as usual, CNN or McCain Central is not going to report this, lest it hurt their candidate's chances next Tuesday.

November 1, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  14. David

Biden is full of poo poo. He did not even carry his own state in his bid for POTUS and he is making fun of McCain that he may not carry his. His memory is real short.

November 1, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  15. John

Good old Arnie the Governor from Silicone valley has BANKRUPTED California shows you what a good Republican can do in a very short time.

You gota love this guy for his cheek

His state will go totally democrat at the top of the ticket and down Ballot

well done Arnie..

November 1, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  16. Jerome

Why are my comments always awaiting moderation and never get posted?

November 1, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  17. fran from canada

I could not believe what I heard when Gov. Schwarzenegger said about Obama's body. That is so sick and not about issues, we have so many people dealing with self esteem issues because of their body and looks, and to have a Gov. make statments like that which has nothing to do with an election. As a canadian your election process looks like a circus. I hope that you regain the respect you had at one time from other countires and I think in order to do that you have to vote Obama, president. Good Luck

November 1, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  18. barry j

John McCain's mentor, Rush Limbuagh, said early during this election cycle that all he wanted "was to win". John has proven that he has "sold his soul" as he appears to want to win at all costs......

JMHO

November 1, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  19. David

Remember, Obama and Biden voted FOR the "Bridge to Nowhere." Remember, Biden said that Obama was not ready to lead. Yet, you say McCain lies and flip flops.

November 1, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  20. Cynthia a conservative voter

McCain h left his disable wife for a rich hooker and Palin has trouble keeping her daughters form sleeping around and geting pregnant.

November 1, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  21. ck

Biden is such a phoney.... rhetoric, rhetoric, rhetoric from our comrade.

Socialism here we come!

November 1, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  22. Shannon

"Leave Family Out of This Campaign"?
    I remember McCain's foul profane "joke" about Chelsea Clinton, then a young teenager, made to a group of fat cat Rep fundraisers in the 90s. It got a big laugh from them and a little attention from the press.Go to snopes.com and check it out.McCain does not walk the talk in his devotion to Family Values, and he sure cant take what he and his ilk hand out to others.

November 1, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  23. Yardbird

John McCain and his campaign have rediscovered the low road to the high office. I pray that we don't have to suffer through that man and his evil woman sidekick as Pres and Vice Pres. I don't think America has enough emotional currency to withstand the onslaught on our rights given to us by the Constitution that will ensue with that not-so-dynamic duo. Why does the US suck up this kool-aid? Why do we put up with miserable desparate tactics such as Joe the plumber? That guy couldn't get hired to pump my septic tank, even if he brought McCain and McPalin with him – they'd find some way to screw it up and blame someone else for it for sure. He's not a plumber, he's behind on taxes, he couldn't buy the business if it was $ 500, he's inarticulate, ignorant regarding anything that really matters, but now he's got an agent and a budding music career. And he's who they drag out to tout their case? Ahhhrnalld making those remarks about someone's body – California politics, 'nuff said.

God Bless America – Vote Obama!

November 1, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  24. Lynn in NM

Oh, gee Senator Biden. Boo hoo. Senator Obama's campaign has not said one untruth, or nasty thing, about Senator McCain, or Gov. Palin, have they? I am sick of both campaigns! I didn't even watch the debates because I was so disgusted by both sides. I usually vote for the lesser of 2 evils. This time, there isn't one.

November 1, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  25. Bob,Conecticut

McCain and Palin's last minute tactics are deplorable. They have really stooped to the lowest level possible. Name calling, false reporting of Obama's tax plan, rabble-rousing, sowing doubt and fear are the Republican"s forte and they are appealing to the ignorant, lemming-like voters who suck up this kind of demagoguery. Obama has to win for the sake of the survival of this country, which will be in doubt if the McCain/Palin ticket is elected.

November 1, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |