November 1st, 2008

Biden: Never thought I'd see this from McCain

Sen. Biden took a shot at Sen. McCain during a campaign stop in Indiana Saturday.

EVANSVILLE, Indiana (CNN) – The morning after Joe Biden told reporters he hoped John McCain would finish the campaign with a positive tone - “his strength” - the Delaware senator said he doesn’t remember a presidential campaign ending so viciously.

“In my view, over the last few weeks, John McCain’s campaign has gone way over the top,” said Biden Saturday at an outdoor rally on Evansville’s Main Street. “They are trying to take the low road to the highest office in the land. It’s not only George Bush’s economic policies that John McCain has bought hook, line and sinker. He’s also bought Karl Rove’s brand of political tactics.”

“It is disappointing, I never thought I’d see this from a McCain campaign,” Biden continued. “They’re calling Barack Obama every name in the book. They are going out in a way that I don’t recall it being more personally vicious.”

As a supporter yelled, “They’re scared!” the Delaware senator predicted that the tone would get worse in the last three days.

Stopping in Indiana for a morning rally in the middle of a two-day bus tour through Ohio, Biden said he and his wife Jill rose early Saturday. Mrs. Biden went running along the Ohio river while the senator was “walking and running.”

“I tell you, it's getting harder to keep up with her,” he told the crowd.

On her run, Mrs. Biden met a nun who was running and going to mass early so she could make it to the vice presidential nominee’s rally. Returning to the hotel, Mrs. Biden reminded her husband, a devout Catholic, that he hadn’t yet gone to All-Saints Day mass.

“Sister Jean-Michelle, I made 9:00. I made 9:00 mass. I just want to thank you,” said Biden, scanning the crowd for the nun. “I'll call my mom some time during the day and the first thing she'll ask me, 'Joey did you go to mass?' So you saved me, sister. You saved me.”

Mrs. Biden introduced her husband, taking off her coat at the podium to reveal an elegant, bright red dress that got a roar of approval from the audience.

“I didn’t think it would cause that much of a stir,” she responded.

Filed under: Indiana • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. Amanda Kato

Honor and respect are very hard to obtain and very easy to lose.
    McCain must think of how people of all party lines were reached before this presidential run began and now he must live with the
    consequences. Even If he wins. He has still lost. I think that would give me pause to attract such ignorance and fear mongers. He has furthred Bush's agenda of division and that is sad from a once so called Maverick.

November 1, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  2. park more - New orleans

You are hypocrite as others democrat..... I am democrat and sham....I will vote McCain this term

November 1, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  3. jessica in the va

everything that mccain has said about obama is what the man said or believes, i mean if you do not know that your OWN aunt is here illeagley then what does he know!!

vote mccain !!still ticked off about saying I clinque to my guns and MY RELIGON!!

November 1, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  4. Dawn

Where is Homeland Security? Is making terroristic threats part of the Patriot Act?

Obama/Biden08/12

November 1, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  5. President George Hussien Washington

Arnold: I'd like to see you make your remarks about Obama on the Southside of Chicago any time

November 1, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  6. VETS4Obama

Tom in Delaware get a clue! Maybe Sad Sarah will have space in her igloo for you too! I cannot wait until we send that vile, hate spewing, ignorant, smart mouthed bimbo back to Alaska where she belongs! I cannot wait until we send you and your Repulblican cronies back to the minority where they belong!

November 1, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  7. George Gopal,Nairobi,Kenya

I find it hard to believe that campaigns in America can get this shallow. I thought America is the epitome of mature democracy and descent campaigns. Shame! George Gopal,Nairobi,Kenya

November 1, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  8. Ms. G

The Lord forbid, think about Sarah Palin in that oval office with no knowledge on any thing – don't get me wrong here- she will be fine if she was eager to learn by hitting the books -which she is not. What McCain did is open the door and to let the US be vulnerable at a time that we need to elect people that understand what we are facing. We need a president that can bring wisdom & knowledge to the office. McCain has told of you that he doesn't know anything about the economy and does not present a plan to tell us how he is going to get us out of this mess. Yet, you are blinded by your partisanship. It is time for the nation to come together. We need to depart from the partisanship that divide us. We need to seize that opportunity when it is presented to us. I hope you will do the right thing for the country by voting Obama/Biden ticket.

November 1, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  9. blkkbbeauty

Arnold Swartzenegger never was a prize and Im sure his celebrity status and the fact that he is married to a Kennedy helped him get elected.... he has very little reason to talk about Obama like that... they are just mad cause he is smarter and better looking than both of them !!!

November 1, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  10. lil

mccain/Palin campaign is the nastiest campaign in the history of USA
    elections.
    These people should really be ashame of themselves for some of the
    lies they are telling and awful thing that are coming out of palins and mccains mouth
    I know that palin knows she is lying and she just dont care.
    I guess they have made the decision to exclude half of Americans if they win the election the way they are down right encouraging hate and division in our country.

November 1, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  11. MIKE J.

I am disgusted with the name calling from McCain/Puppet. If sad to hear them calling Obama every dirty name in the book.

There are people in America that really HATE OBAMA.

November 1, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  12. EX REPUBLICAN

McCain and Palin are running a cowardly campaign!!! Since they have no plan other than to fabricate innuendos about the opponent they cannot wn. If they even come close it will be a statement of how stupid America has become.

McCain has not said anything iteeligent in weeks!
    Palin is not capable of speaking intelligent!

Where when telling lies illegal??

Obama & Biden is our future.

November 1, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  13. Dameun Strange

It's so sad that now McCain is resorting to Nixonesque tactics. There is no surprise here. Who cares about Obama's aunt...is that all CNN and McCain have to offer the American people in the last days before the election? Shameless.

Even Palin is off on her own, realizing McCain last shot has missed the target.

November 1, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  14. Micheal

READ THIS MCCAIN
    I WOOD LOVE TO HAVE A DEATE WITH YOU HOW AMERICA RUNS..
    WERE ALWAYS A BIG BULLY IN SCHOOL AND OUT OF SCHOOL AND IN THE AIR FORCE YOU DIDNT DO WHAT YOU WAS TOLD THERE .. MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY. YOU WITH ALWAYS BE A BULLY MC,CAIN ...YOU ALWAYS LOVE TO BULLY PEOPLE AROUND THIS TIME YOU MIT YOUR MATCH WITH OBAMA

GET HIM OBAMA AND BIDEN

November 1, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  15. Ruth

This is nothing new about McCain. He has been a bully all his life. A big cry baby. If he dosen't get his way he gets violent and ugly. This is exactly what I expected.

November 1, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  16. No2RepubGimmicks

Gary...you pretty much represent all that's wrong with McCain's campaign and his supporters.... rude and ignorant.

I'm thinking most of America are smarter than you guys....

November 1, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  17. Ken in NC

Joe I hope you and Obama hurry and win the election. I am sick and tired of hearing "MY FRIENDS" and how McCain has fought for "HIS" country since he was 17 and he has got the scares to show for it. He is not the only person that has fought for this country or has scares.
    I full well acknowledge his status as an American Hero, however, he is just one among many and that does not qualify him to be POTUS and sitting in his aircraft of the coast of Cuba does not mean he has been tested either. All he did was follow orders.Last but not least I call into question of Sarah Palin as his VP pick. Not a good move or judgement call on his part.

November 1, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  18. No way, no how, now McCain

Anord S is trying to legalize gay right in California that is so Republican. With all of the conservativisms that they believe in and are against–abortion, gay marriage, and the list goes on.

November 1, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  19. Trish

It has been OK with You Obama nuts when Obama's whole campaign has smeared Hillary and then on to Sarah and John and now Joe Biden has the nerve to say this!! What a crock. It is so amazing when the tables are turned how you Obama supporters spew your hatred. Another amazing thing is the ones who say they can't stand to listen to Sarah or John. I ask, why are you listening if you hate them so much? Must be stupidity on your part!!! I am a Dem who was for Hillary and after seeing the disgusting hateful treatment of her, I turned Republican and am proud of it. There are a lot of us out there and you can thank yourselves for helping us to see how ruthless the Dem party is.

November 1, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  20. Denise

I swear, there are more people who have stated that they would leave the country if Palin gets in that office, even more so than McCain. Can you see her in the office of the HIGHEST OFFICE IN THE U.S.....and a very very very serious position, people!!! Not only would the same ole Bush tactics happen, but our economy would not get any better. At least Obama wants to roll up those skinny sleeves and really get to work. I mean, a younger president like him would really try to help the country....you can see it in his eyes when he looks at his girls. But, McCain would just sit in the office and look around saying, "Ah! Now I have the White House with all my other houses. My name in history, Palin the hot mama by my side. Let us get serious and really care about our Economy. We need Obama and Biden more than we know. Good luck and look into your hearts!!!! Vote for your family, your life!!!!

November 1, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  21. KJL

Joe is right on. Palin is busy trying to scare seniors in Florida. McCain scares everyone.

November 1, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  22. hrsc

For those who think Joe the plumber is a model of some kind.

If he was investigated and was doing something ILLEGAL....Like not paying his taxes it should be exposed!!!

You are inquiring about taxes when you know your not paying your own. and you lie about purchasing a business..

That the type of role model Sen. McCain thinks is a good thing to put out front to the american people and our kids.

Lets not forget Sen. McCain is use to big busines not paying there fair share so Joe the plumbers illegal actions are okay with the McCain campaign.. I don't remember Sen. McCain telling Joe to go pay your tax. As so many other citizens do...McCain no honor it shows.

November 1, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  23. Eli

I agree. When is Gov. Palin going to release her medical records? The McCain/Palin ticket is trying to run out the game clock on this one.

November 1, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  24. Giselle Thayer

Would you turn your back on John McCain knowing that he sacrificed his own life for our country?

For two thousand and seven days (5 ½ years) John McCain said “Country First” even if this meant receiving torture beyond belief by the Vietnamese captors. For two thousand and seven days, McCain did NOT turn his back on the nurse, the bus driver, the school teacher, the immigrant, the white, the black, the hispanic, the entrepreneur, the rich, the poor, and senior citizens. On the contrary, McCain said “I will sacrifice my life for every single American Citizen in the United States of America” even if this meant being in solitary confinement, getting the most atrocious beatings, getting smashed with a rifle on the shoulder, getting jabbed in the ankle, getting jabbed in the groin, getting knocked down, getting kicked in the head, getting the ribs cracked, having a high fever and losing consciousness for long periods of time, lying on vomit, blood and waste from the inhumane beatings.

This is our ONLY opportunity as a nation to do the right thing, and say “In McCain we trust” Please show your gratitude and loyalty to our country and to everyone in the United States by voting for McCain and Palin…

“I can only hope that every man that was ever in the military will read this book and appreciate the contributions of men like John McCain III. We all owe a debt of gratitude to men like him, true Americans who sacrificed everything for their country.” (Wayland Mayo)

November 1, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  25. Freedom for All

Personally, I don't care one way or the other if Obama's Aunt is in the US legally or illegally. Will that affect my vote for Obama, no. But would I even consider voting for McCain after this leak was just made, like it is a bid issue and everyone should turn their backs on Obama because of an Aunt, This is just another reason I would NOT vote for McCain, the leaking of this information was beyond low. McCain and his campaign are scum. To even try to influience people with this kind of information is a disgrace to our intelligence.

November 1, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |