November 1st, 2008

Palin makes pitch to seniors in central Florida

Gov. Palin campaigned in Florida Saturday as the state's governor, Charlie Crist, looked on.

NEW PORT RICHEY, Florida (CNN) - With a smiling Gov. Charlie Crist at her side, Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin kicked off a three-city bus tour of central Florida on Saturday by focusing on the financial concerns of the nearly three million Floridians over the age of 65.

Palin promised that she and John McCain will “keep our defining commitments to our senior citizens.” But she wasted little time on the Republican agenda and turned her sights, as usual, on Barack Obama, who has accused McCain of wanting to cut Medicare funding and place Social Security benefits in the stock market.

“Barack Obama goes around promising a new kind of politics,” she said, “but then he comes here to Florida and he tries to exploit the fears and the worries about Social Security and Medicare to our retirees and that is the oldest and cheapest kind of politics there is. And enough is enough of that.”

Palin added that Obama favors a government takeover of health care, an accusation that drew boos from the audience.

Referencing New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who said this week that Obama’s tax cuts would only go to those making under $120,000, Palin called the Democratic tax plan “so phony” and said she was thankful that “it’s starting to unravel” and that “the light is being shown on his tax plan.”

According to the Obama campaign, Richardson meant to say that people making under $250,000 won’t see their taxes increase.

Palin also repeated a debunked claim that “according to an independent analysis, our opponent’s new policies will destroy nearly six million jobs over the next decade.”

That analysis was actually conducted by the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, which concluded in a recent report that “total employment” would fall an average of 589,000 a year under Obama's tax plan.

According to Heritage, that number represents the number of jobs that would exist over a ten year period, compared to the potential number of jobs that would exist under current tax law. The study itself says that while McCain’s plan would create more jobs, the number of jobs in the country would grow under either candidate.

As Palin wound down her remarks, a group in the rear of the audience began a noisy chant of "John McCain! Not Hussein!" - but the governor did not appear to hear or acknowledge them.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Florida • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin • Taxes
  1. Tj oh

Palin and McCain condone the ignorance of their supporters.

November 1, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  2. Rebulican for Intelligence: OBAMA

What a lunatic!

November 1, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  3. alvino

No one could ever accuse Palin of being honest. I wonder if she told them about freezing benefits in order to balance the budget.

November 1, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  4. Gerry in Va. for Obama.

Ms. Palin...I am a senior and YOU represent the REPUBLICAN party. The REPUBLICAN party wants to TAKE AWAY SOCIAL SECURITY as we know it. THANKS BUT NO THANKS... We seniors don't need your help. YOU REPUBLICANS WANT TO CUT OUR MEDICAL BENEFITS. Thanks but NO THANKS. YOU REPUBLICANS want to TAX OUR SOCIAL SECURITY .. Thanks but NO THANKS... YOU REPUBLICANS are RESPONSIBLE for our SAVINGS/RETIREMENT FUNDS STOLEN BY WALL STREET... SO I SAY TO YOU ONCE AGAIN MS PALIN.................THANKS BUT NO THANKS..........

VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN

VOTE DEMOCRATS...... THEY ARE TRYING TO STEAL THE ELECTION

SO WE MUST VOTE..... DEMOCRATS..... VIRGINIA.... VOTE....OBAMA.

November 1, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  5. Ben

I pray we stand up and send Palin and Friends packing on Tuesday. I'm so hurt by the hate I've been hearing. Intolerance is alive and well is unified behind Palin.

November 1, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  6. Jean from Belgium

All have been fact checked and you are so called wrong Sarah Palin.
    You call yourself a christian..(than I'm ashamed to be one!) you are twisting, lying and spread hate. You and McCain are the ones who talk fear into people. Shame on you. You lack any common sense.
    The whole world hear and see you. That's why we want Barack Obama to lead.

November 1, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  7. Bennie

The Straight Lie Express wheels are falling off, its almost out of gas, and the rats are jumping off.

November 1, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  8. P Ling, Ohio

Sarah Palin is fading fast, and she knows it....

November 1, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  9. Tj oh

Palin and McCain condone the ignorance of their supporters at these rallies. They are feeding these hateful groups.

November 1, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  10. sue

I'm sure Obama will give McCain a job....perhaps he can lead a committee on Post Traumtic Stress Disorder....not sure what he can do with Sarah though. Maybe she can sit in her living room and keep an eye on Russia...her fear mongering and hatred really make me sick.......

November 1, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  11. Annoyed

what does the last line of this article have to do with the previous portion? While I am not a McCain supporter I think it really does show the bias, even if subtle. And I think it is tacky that even though it (final sentence) is not the meat of the article it IS the thrust of the headline. I am just tired of both sides demonizing each other. CNN among other media outlets have lost all credibility with me and it concerns me b/c I should not have to search around for my own news verifying everything I read with cross checks.

November 1, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  12. Justin from CT

Seniors who want to have to keep working and never see retirement should go ahead and listen to Failin' Palin.

November 1, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  13. Kenpachi Zaraki

CNN why you have so many article on Palin? I'm tire of seeing her and her negativity. Its like we see 10 mccain/palin article to 2 obama/biden article. the only time you guy do an article on obama is when is kind of bad. You betcha Palin heard them yallin that but she won't say anything just like how in Alaska when the Dj was talkin trash about the lady she knew

November 1, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  14. Marky Mark

McCain/Bush and their daughter Sarah will say anything to win an election. Not this time. The Americans do not need division. Let's go to the poll on Tuesday tell the Right wing haters, not this time. Let's vote for change, bring fresh ideas to the table. Let's project a new image of America around the world.

November 1, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  15. Brandon (Wilmington, NC)

Just a couple of more days, I can only hope we come through and elect Obama. This is one Republican who is leaving the party and going independent and this year, hell even 2012, I'll be supporting Obama. Learn your lesson GOP, it's over.

November 1, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  16. palin pandering neo-con zionists

in Florida.

just wait till they hear about palin's own real anti-semitism!

can't wait for the anti-christian zionists and the anti-semitic evangelicals to go after each other's throat, LOL

November 1, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  17. Earl

She didn't respond to the Hussein chant because that's what

Caribou Barbie and McWar want to hear......2 hatemongers

GO OBAMA

November 1, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  18. alvino

I think Adam & Eve may have met Sarah in a different form in the Garden of Eden.

November 1, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  19. Mark

John McCain – Not Hussein

Pretty legit if you ask me

November 1, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  20. janette

She continues to spread lies, inpsire the Rght -wing so-called "Christians" to behave maliciously, and act as a lightnening rod to the Ignorant.. You go girl.. you have two more days to oblivion or maybe a modeling gig bringing you a future Mrs. America title..

November 1, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  21. Renee

When Obama was in Florida recently there were a lot of senior citizens in his audiences and he did not ONCE play on anyone's fears the way Palin and McCain like to do. They are nothing but fearmongers and it makes me sad for the future of this country that children are being taught such intolerance and hatred from the likes of their supporters. For once I would like to hear a coherent sentence come from that woman's mouth and for once I would like to hear what McCain plans to do if he is elected. Instead all we hear is bashing of Obama and his supporters. It is disgusting. I will make a decision of who I will vote for by listening to what each candidate has to offer, NOT by what you think I want to hear to make me fear the other candidate. Stop the petty BS and state your case McCain, otherwise Obama gets my vote.

November 1, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  22. Al

More smears from Palin and McCain. I wouldn't pay John and Sarah a moment of my time to listen to them. How low and childish. Barack Obama was born in Hawaii and is a Christian and is not a Muslim. Are there any more lies that Sarah Palin and John McCain care to try to fool us with?

November 1, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  23. Shane

*PLEASE POST CNN As a democrat, i am glad I casted my ballot for Mc Cain. Obama's aunt is here illegally, she has contributed to his presidential campaign, which is also illegal. what else are we going to find out about him. his connections to acorn and he lied about that. what else? come on americans, wake up before it is too late. OBAMA IS TOO RISKY FOR THE USA.

November 1, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  24. David, Hartford

Here's a question:

Where are Sarah Palin's medical records that were promised to us last week by both her and her campaign staff?

What is she hiding?

November 1, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  25. jason, tx

Fear is the central virtue of the right. She's a pile of doggie doo lies. I know you won't post this, but it's so true.

November 1, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |