November 1st, 2008

Update: CNN hotline caller allowed to vote by secure fax

A caller to CNN's voter hotline will be allowed to vote by secure fax.
A caller to CNN's voter hotline will be allowed to vote by secure fax.

(CNN) – When Chawnte Williams, a voter registered in the Denver area, originally called CNN’s voter hotline, the prospects of actually casting an absentee ballot did not look good.

Earlier: Some voters still waiting on absentee ballots

“I applied for an absentee ballot before October 6,” Williams explained in her call. When the ballot did not arrive earlier this week as promised by local election officials in Denver, Williams called to check in “and they had no record” of Williams' request for an absentee ballot. “So, because of somebody’s clerical error, now it looks like I might not be able to vote,” Williams also said on her hotline call.

"I feel like I'm not going to be able to vote and there's no reason why," Williams also told CNN in a telephone interview Thursday.

After making contact with election officials in Denver again on Friday, Williams learned she will be able to vote absentee after all.

“I was informed that I will be able to fill out a write-in ballot and send it to the commission by a secure fax machine,” Williams wrote in an e-mail to CNN Saturday. “Thanks for all of your help,” she added.

CNN estimates that roughly 23 million Americans have already cast ballots in this year’s general election.

CNN will be tracking voter problems through Election Day. If you have a problem or see a problem, call the CNN Voter Hotline at 877-462-6608. See what issues are a concern in each state by clicking on the interactive Hotline map at cnn.com/hotline.

Filed under: Colorado • Voter Problems
  1. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

I guess that republican trick didn't work on that lady.

Thanks for helping her CNN. Good job.

November 1, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  2. Herman

this is a great story! thanks CNN you rock!

November 1, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  3. mom for obama

I'm proud of you for sticking with it and not just giving up on your right to vote when things looked tough Chawnte! I hope that despite all the long lines and computer glitches others follow your lead and Vote between now and Tuesday.

November 1, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  4. vahe

thanks to GOP

November 1, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  5. McCain is a LIAR

Yea – the Republican effort to keep voters from voting keeps beng discovered and corrected. They are so dishonorable I can't believe anyone woutd vote for McCain – he has become a national disgrace. I have never heard such nasty lies and smears in all my voting years.

It shows the lack of character of McCain and Palin. They are both unfit for office. I am so sick of their hate-filled campaign. Can;t wait until they shut up and disappear!

Go Obama!
    Please get out and vote! Obama needs every vote for us to send a strong message to Republicans that we will no longer tolerate liars and nasty campaigns.
    The lines may be long but stay in them! We need your voice and your vote. This is a vote for your future – make it count!

November 1, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  6. KLEE

Thank you CNN!

November 1, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  7. Maggie from Virginia

Thanks CNN for fighting for the people.

November 1, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  8. will

That is something of the same that has happen to my mother, sister, and father here in Georgia. Who all three are handicapped and unable to stand in the long lines, they sent in the application for their absentee ballets but they have not got them. After talking to my sister she said she had sent the applications in over mount ago.

November 1, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  9. spread the wealth

not this time GOP!
    not this time!!!

November 1, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  10. j

Every American should have the opportunity to vote. The governors that have put political considerations aside and extended the voting hours are showing true patriotic values.

November 1, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  11. read: www.huffingtonpost.com

PLEASE DOCUMENT WHEN YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO VOTE, CALL THE CNN HOTLINE, DO SOMETHING
    TAKE PICTURES
    DOCUMENT
    MAKE SURE YOU CALL WHOEVER YOU HAVE TO,
    YOU HAVE A VOICE, YOU HAVE A VOTE
    VOTE VOTE VOTE
    PLEASE VOTE
    THE REPBULICANS WILL DO WHATEVER IN THEIR POWER TO STAY IN POWER
    WE CAN NOT AFFORD TO HAVE THEM STEAL THIS ELECTION, WE CAN NOT AFFORD 8 MORE YEARS OF BUSH
    MCBUSH
    MCPALIN, CHENEY, LIMBAUGH, ROVE, HENNETY, THESE ARE THE ONES WITH BIG FAT POCKETS

November 1, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  12. Marie Banderas in TEXAS

I'm wondering just how "many" ballots mailed in or dropped in boxes will suddenly dissapear..and will provisional ballots be counted in time for the election on tuesday or will they suddenly dissapear TOO..I was too afraid to vote any way but in person, so took my place in line, and voted in person in TEXAS for OBAMA..now, next will come even more voting machine so called errors..count on that..we may not even know who wins until wednesday or thursday unless is a landslide for OBAMA,..republicans have proven they are the masters of voter fraud, suppression, deceit etc...
    VOTED IN PERSON FOR OBAMA

November 1, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  13. Cathy in Vermont

Wow, 3 years ago, my son was studying at the University of Illinois and the PO did not deliver his absentee ballot. The town clerk in our town called the Vermont Secretary of State to ask if he could secure fax it in and was told no. I hope.

November 1, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  14. Texas Teacher

This is exactly why we need to get out in such numbers that NO ONE can doubt that the American People have SPOKEN with our VOTES! We cannot become complacent.

Vote Obama.... vote for the future.... vote for ourselves!

November 1, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  15. Karin

I'm an American living abroad. I'm having the same problem with my absentee ballot. I registered and requested an absentee ballot in September, but still haven't received it. I called my State this week (Georgia), the woman on the telephone told me that I'm registered, but no absentee ballot was sent to me. I contacted Vote From Abroad/Democrats Abroad and they told me about Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). I sent in my absentee ballot a few days ago, but I don't have confidence that it'll get there on time.

November 1, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  16. Oregonian

Hey CNN:
    There's obviously been a lot of news about voter registration, voter fraud, inability to cast the proper vote, touch screen machines switching votes to McCain, and ridiculously long lines even at early voting booths. I hear all these stories that are symptoms of our government being largely unprepared for high voter turnout.

But you know what i don't hear? The states that work. Nevada, how is their system different that they haven't had any issues? Oregon, how is it that mandatory mail-in ballots increase voter turnout, and reduce clerical errors? HHHMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm...........

November 1, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  17. Sammy

Cant someone also vote at a poling station via filling out a regular ballot even if the person is an absentee? I have never tried so I dont know.

November 1, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  18. Willy Brown

Democrats will stop at nothing to try and steal this election

November 1, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  19. Dan

In as much as this Absentee ballot thing is good to allow citizens have alternative to cast their vote.....we need to BEWARE OF ABSENTEE BALLOTS and CHECK THEM WELL. The Republicans are turning in absentee twice a smuch as democrats.This is ongoing in Florida.

DO NOT LET THEM STEAL ANOTHER ELECTION BY SENDING IN MAILED BALLOTS OF DEAD PEOPLE AND UNDERAGED PEOPLE AND PEOPLE WHO CANNOT MAKE A CHOICE FOR THEMSELVES, OR THEIR KIDS WHO ARE OLD ENOUGH TO VOTE , BUT ARE 100s OF MILES AWAY IN COLLEGE OR WORK. THAT's FRAUD!!!!!!!!

ELECTORAL OFFICERS PLS BE VIGILANT WITH ABSENTEE/MAILED BALLOTS......! TUCKER BOUNDS.......ONE OF McSAME'S SPOKESMEN IS BOASTING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA 08'

November 1, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  20. KKK

THERE HAS BEEN SO MUCH FRAUD FROM THE DEM'S IN VOTING ETC. OBAMA THE LEADER .AMERICA WILL NOT STAND TALL IF OBAMA GETS ELECTED. HE HAS BROUGHT RACIST BACK AND DIVIDED THIS COUNTRY WITH HIS LIES AND SAFETY FROM THE MEDIA.(CNN, MNBC,NBC) ONLY FAIR MEDIA IS FOX. THATS WHY OBAMA DONT LIKE FOX. THEY DONT BOW DOWN AND KISS HIS -. THE YOUTH IS SO NAIVE IN THIS COUNTRY TO VOTE IN A ROCK STAR AND MEDIA CLOWN.EXPERIENCE DOSN'T MEAN ANYTHING TO THE ELECTION TO THEM.THEY WILL HELP DISTROY THIS COUNTRY IF OBAMA IS ELECTED.

November 1, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  21. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

That settles it. CNN is such a wonderful guardian of democracy, I think they should call this race for us before the polls close.

November 1, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  22. Debbie in Missouri

Maybe someday we will be able to vote on our home computer.

Wouldn't that be great !

November 1, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  23. Johnny

I use to have respect for CNN to be particial with politicts – However after today seen CNN air John McClain for more than 30 minutes and would not air Obama for his 30 minutes special that he will pay for – Who are you CNN – Are you for John McClain

November 1, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  24. vote! OBAMA-BIDEN NOV.4th

VOTE OBAMA-BIDEN!

November 1, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  25. mitch

cnn- keeping em honest. good job! but, you should have aired baracks ad .

November 1, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |