November 3rd, 2008

Biden confident but superstitious, denies any gaffes

Sen. Biden admitted he is superstitious and denied any gaffes Monday.
Sen. Biden admitted he is superstitious and denied any gaffes Monday.

ZANESVILLE, Ohio (CNN) – For the first time in almost two months, Joe Biden came back on his campaign plane to talk to reporters, denying that he has ever made a ‘gaffe’ that has harmed the campaign.

“For all the stuff about gaffes, I don't think there have been any real gaffes,” Biden told reporters, taken aback by the rare appearance, who crowded around him in the aisle of the plane. “I mean I don't see anything in your polling data demonstrating any of that stuff you guys love to write about.”

When the talkative senator was asked if he’s relieved he has stayed relatively away from any big gaffes, he countered that he has never made any.

“You guys love saying that about me but I tell you what, just look at the numbers,” Biden argued. “I don't have any problem with what I've said, and there's nothing I've said that I would back off of.”

Republicans have been quick to jump on Biden’s off-message comments in the past two months, quickly blasting them out by e-mail to reporters and labeling them ‘gaffes.’ Former Republican presidential contender Rudy Giuliani said Sunday that Biden has been one of the GOP’s best surrogates.

The Delaware senator said he would not comment on winning or losing, blaming longtime superstition (“from the time I was a young athlete,” he said). But asked about Pennsylvania, he quickly added that he knows the state well and if he had to, would bet on winning it.

What about Ohio, Missouri and Indiana, all states where polls are tighter?

“Indiana, I don't want to bet you on either. I mean, I think we can win all three. Am I ready to bet my daughter's graduate school tuition on it? Nope. If I had to bet you on Pennsylvania, I'd bet it,” said Biden.

“Democrats have not done well in those states, but there's something in the air, guys...there’s pace on the ball.

“...Have you ever seen an election with this much intensity? I don't mean the candidates. I mean the people. I've never seen anything with this much intensity,” he said. “The issues are on our side. Presumptuous to say this, I think we've run a really good campaign, he said, adding later: “But I'm superstitious, and I'm getting the hell out of here.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden • John McCain
  1. Mike

Has Biden joined Obama in his threat to bankrupt any power company that builds another coal plant?

November 3, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  2. Put A Muzzle on It!

To Florida For Obama (6:39)

Perhaps, I like Bush.

Perhaps, I like McCain & Palin.

Perhaps, I'm educated and gainfully employed.

Perhaps, I am financially secure, and the ecnomy is NOT my #1 issue.

John McCain will keep this country safe!!!!

November 3, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  3. Justin

Let's get our facts here straight people! John Mccain has voted with Bush at least 90% of the time! How can anyone in there right mind vote for Mccain! I'm sorry but I cant take another 4 years of this. Whether Mccain wants to admit it or not, he has said nothing that he will do different! Wake up America! And vote for the real change! OBAMA-BIDEN in 08!

November 3, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  4. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Joe Biden is a great Senator and has run a great VP race, but then again he was running against a very uneducated Palin. John McCain's judgement is certainly questionable when it comes to Palin but then again John McCain isn't an educator himself which both set a poor example when we are stressing education to our children. My grandson is 10 years old and view McCain and Palin as not so smart, but then again my grandson's IQ has been tested and exceeds the norm for his age.

November 3, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  5. Mac Is Back

Obama made a big blunder not picking Hillary Clinton to run as his VP.

She is definately smarter than Biden. Biden has definately hurt

Obama's Vote

November 3, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  6. Harry C

Interesting isn't it , the only thing the republicans have to campaign on is either what Obama has said or what Biden has supposedly made gaffe's about. What a shame these two Republican Nuts have nothing else to say. GO OBAMA! Trust me folks tomorrow will be a Historical Landslide for Obama/Biden.

November 3, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  7. Harry C

Interesting isn't it , the only thing the republicans have to campaign on is either what Obama has said or what Biden has supposedly made gaffe's about. What a shame these two Republican Nuts have nothing else to say. GO OBAMA! Trust me folks tomorrow will be a Historical Landslide Victory for Obama/Biden.

November 3, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  8. kim

Obamas campaign has been just as egregious in vitriol as McCains. In fact "crown obama king" is exactly why I'm voting for McCain. At least I know where McCain stands. I am not rich, but I am educated, neither candidate can balance the budget with the proposals they have presented. However, the overall violence of the left's rhetoric has moved this independent to the right a bit more (and many other silent independents are voting for McCain because of the far left.
    Good luck to who ever wins becuase it is most likely to be the worst 4 years of there life trying to save this country.

November 3, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  9. Jo-Ann..New York

May God bless and comfort Senator Obama and his family in their hours of sorrow.

November 3, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  10. Ron was a REP now a DEM

What a perfect compliment to Sen Biden is to Sen. Obama

November 3, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  11. Smarter than the GOP

Joe frightening? LOL wow you are really ignorant! the people voting for McCain because of Palin are the frightening ones.

November 3, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  12. 57yr old w female in NC

Good Job
    Barbara – 65 yr old white female in NC
    Thanks Joe

No more slash and burn. NO MORE HATE

Send the divisive, negative, hate, fear, war-mongering rats back to Alaska and Arizona.
    NO MORE HATE !!! Enough

I agree 100%
    They are already writing books (volume 1-10) on how not to Run a trash Campaign like McShame and Pelin....

God Bless America
    Obama 08

November 3, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  13. onelove

Fred, please go look in the mirror.

November 3, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  14. David

I like Biden and in reference to gaffes I think it all depends on how you try to spin the words.

The Republicans have taken everything out of context and it has been proven that they are misleading in what they say or that they outright lie.

Bidens "testing" comments were taken out of context as is Obama's voting record, tax policy, relationship with Ayers, the 2001 radio interview, etc.

If we read everything we get the whole picture and not someone's spin.

Good Luck Vice President Biden! May the righteous winds of change continue to blow your way.

November 3, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  15. David

"If the John McCain of 2000 saw today's counterpart, he wouldn't recognize himself," the Board wrote. "McCain is no longer a GOP maverick, or the war hero whose principles were unwavering. He has flip-flopped on issues ranging from tax cuts to torture in an effort to win over the conservative base of his party. He has waged a dismal campaign based on fear and divisiveness."

This is an objective statement and if we look objectively at the two choices we should all be coming to this conclusion.

I like Obama myself because he is young and looking to the future. He is both aware of and able to use today's technology and understands the global economy and what needs to be done in order to be a leader in this type of economy.

In addition, he has built upon his limited experience by running an almost flawless campaign. He has raised money and recruited and army of volunteers and paid staff that have emboldened his campaign and put him the strong position he finds himself in today.

Compare the types of campaigns each has run and then decide who should run this country-Obama clearly comes out on top.

November 3, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |