November 3rd, 2008

Hank Williams, Jr. says Obama doesn't like the National Anthem

Hank Williams, Jr. has performed at several McCain-Palin campaign events.
Hank Williams, Jr. has performed at several McCain-Palin campaign events.

(CNN) - In the waning hours of the presidential race, the toughest shot against Barack Obama may not have come from the Republican ticket, but from country music star Hank Williams, Jr.

The country-rocker, a campaign trail fixture who has penned a special song for the GOP ticket called "McCain-Palin Tradition," suggested Monday Obama doesn't like the national anthem.

“You know, I’m usually at Monday Night Football tonight, but Colorado, this is a lot more important tonight. Join me now in our national — you know, that song that, uh, Mr. Obama’s not real crazy about, we’re singing it right now," he said before performing his version of the song.

Williams, Jr., aka Bocephus, also performed "McCain-Palin Tradition," which includes a line that suggests Obama has "terrorist friends."

After playing both songs, Palin thanked Williams, Jr. for his help on the campaign trail, and did not acknowledge the national anthem remark.

The comments appear to reference a long-debunked e-mail rumor that Barack Obama refuses to put his hand on his heart when the national anthem is played. That e-mail stems from a 2007 photograph showing the Illinois senator with his hands by his side during a performance of the song.

The e-mail also stated Obama said the national anthem is a "war-like message" and should be swapped for a tune like "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing."

Obama, in fact, has never said those things.

1. Terri D.

Hank Williams Jr. is a washed up Old Bum, Take a look at the people at the mccain/palin rallies they are white bigots who cares what they say anybody with any intelligence can see they are spewing lies because thats all they have left they know they are going to lose.

Go Obama/Biden VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  2. Josh

Do you guys ever think that you take this a little too seriously? More often than not during the course of a campaign, candidates and their supporters say things to get the base or the crowds they are speaking to worked up. It's not a conservative or a liberal thing, it's a political thing. After the campaign is over it will all stop and whoever is elected will go to Washington and will have to guide this country through a mess and I seriously doubt that the words of Hank Williams Jr. or you average Hollywood actor will weigh heavily on their minds.

November 4, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  3. Limbaugh is my Saviour

I dont know what I will do when this election is over.My parents want me out of the cellar and to get a job.I liked working on behalf of Rushs,"Operation Chaos",where I got to lie and help undermine the election process for the right wing radicals.

November 4, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  4. joan

Palin released just a letter from "her" family doctor instead of detailed medical record. And the charge of her abuse of power was cleared by "her" people.

November 4, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  5. Jane

Every single time I have heard Obama speak he has told one lie after another about Senator McCain and Governor Palin and so has Joe Biden. You people hear what you want to hear. When I look at some of the trash that you people support in the way of entertainment, it is a joke to see you writing about the shortcomings of Hank Williams, Jr. Everyone has their choice of what they are entertained by – at least I have not seen any laws against any type of music being offered in the USA. I don't care for about 90% of it myself, but I don't complain about what others enjoy unless it is about to burst my eardrums out in public. The thing for you sophomoric posters to do is get over yourselves already! NOW!

November 4, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  6. McCain's concession speech writer

a redneck hick. And??

November 4, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  7. Clc

Its funny that Ive put several comments on here and they were not approved. No bad language...no mean comments like the ones I have read...no racial slurs, no anti-american sentiments...and yet, because I am a conservative on a radical website, I cannot get posted... Now, that is fair and balanced....and that is just a glimpse into what the media is going to be doing to us for the next 4 years.

November 4, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  8. Tom of Miami

Wait until tomorrow and see who has the last laugh......
    Try to get some sleep.....
    McCain-Palin 2008

November 4, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  9. Pat

WHAT A DUMB LIE!

November 4, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  10. lubyloo

Lying loser. No wonder all he's done is sing the monday night football theme song all these years.

November 4, 2008 01:14 am at 1:14 am |
  11. Irony

Obama eats babies
    McCain Poops Rainbows
    Biden tortures bunnies
    Palin Grants wishes to orphans

Democrats are evil satan whorshippers

Republicans are the most Honest loving people on earth

Or did I just get those all backwards?

November 4, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  12. Lori

Like I am going to listen to the rants of someone who answers to the nickname BOCEPHUS!

November 4, 2008 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  13. laura

Hank ... how sad to see your 'legacy' gone all for this? .....

Sad ............. ;o(

November 4, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  14. lubyloo

Great leadership by Palin. I suppose she didn't hear this comment either, just like all the other offensive garbage said at their rallies.

November 4, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  15. Scott

One more Republican relying on lies, innuendo, and smear to attack Obama because he has nothing else. Go back to the South you redneck hick.

November 4, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  16. Beverly

Last week Joe the Carpenter was introduced at one of Sarah Palin's Rally. He seems to be Latino. To her surprise, he said I quote, I love Sarah Palin and I want to have a baby with Sarah Palin right there on the stage. CNN did not show that clip anymore. Anyone out there who saw that introduction, please reply.

November 4, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  17. Ryan

When have you ever heard anyone say that a candidate for president doesn't like the National Anthem? – I'll tell you when, when said candidate is black!! This is implied racism. What's the African American percentage in the National Football League? You know the NFL, the same NFL that has kept this old crank in any sort of relevance for the last twenty years?
    Hey Hank – Are you ready to be labled a bigooooot?!!!

November 4, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  18. Tom of Miami

Americans have confused the Presidency with American Idol voting.
    Get a grip. Obama has no experience and has shown many unworthy, Anti-American connections. McCain is a PATRIOT.
    However, Mr. American Idol President might win with the help of uninformed folks, such as the ones who populate this website.

November 4, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  19. From TX

I think people should get there facts straight before they shoot off their mouth. Hank Jr. did make a bit of an idiot out of himself.
    So what are the facts- Obama is a friend of Ayers and kicked off his OPolitical career at Ayer's home. Obama spent 20 years in Rev. wright's church, but never listened to a sermon. Obama was called the Messiah by Farrakhan. Obama wants to use your money to help those who will not help themselves, but lets his brother live in squalor in Kenya and his aunt here in the USA. Obama made a "Gaffe" about his religion, but was corrected by George Stephanopoulos. Biden himself said Obama was not ready to be commander and chief and he did not say that about Clinton, Edwards or any other candidate. But I'm sure none of this matters, cause he sure talks purty.

November 4, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  20. Wilson

who cares about a washed up drug abusing country singer who hasn't been popular in decades, this is the first gig he's had in a long time...go home

November 4, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  21. LJinLACA

If the rest of America could only be so insightful as Dixville Notch...

There is blood in the water, and it is not democratic juices...

Condolences to Senator Obama for his loss today.

It was very moving to see both mourning in his face, and a steady delivery of his campaign message.

The toughest thing Madelyn Dunham ever built wasn't a World War II era bomber, though that was tough Rosie The Riveter action, she built a future Persident with a "spine of steel" and courage in the face of adversity.

I'm sorry folks, you couldn't compare the supreme character of the Obama \ Biden ticket to the McCain / Palin group, which has already dropped McCain's name from party materials in the rallies today...

Everytime I hear this republican ticket speak, you have to really wonder who with a sane thought in their head could consider these folks.

RIP Grandma, and much success to the Obama / Biden ticket tomorrow.

November 4, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  22. SWA

I don't know if you can call Hank Williams, Jr. a "star" as much as a "hanger-on". Go pop some pills with Rush.

November 4, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  23. Mariah Rose

Obama gets Bruce Springsteen and all Palin can get up is a washed up CW singer who lies? What does that say??

VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN 2008

November 4, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  24. Mark H

Can we ALL agree...."NO ONE IS CHECKING FOR HANK?"

BRING ON A REAL COUNTRY STAR Hank's career has been over long time ago. DONE, BAKED like his brain

November 4, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  25. daniel o'sullivan

I was a Repulican for years- for a number of reasons: Lincoln was a Repulican, they "say" they are for individual rights and freedoms and small government- Sadly, however, I found republicans can argue about fiscal responsiility (and then spend like no others in American History)- they can claim they want democracy overseas (and yet support the repressive saudi arabian regime that supplied 15 of the 19 hi-jackers on 9/11- even osama himself and they even flew a bunch of saudis home secretly after 9-11) they freak out at the notion of re-distriution of wealth – but it all really boils down to the fact that they are racist and heartless- they see homeless people and think scum- they couldn't end over to help a brother in need in america- they love spewing hate and they will all tell you they are good christians- they are big 'ole hypocrites- I am sad that I was a republican and ought into all that hate of my fellow man- I am sorry Jesus for eing such a judgemental, bad person.

November 4, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |