November 3rd, 2008

Hank Williams, Jr. says Obama doesn't like the National Anthem

Hank Williams, Jr. has performed at several McCain-Palin campaign events.
Hank Williams, Jr. has performed at several McCain-Palin campaign events.

(CNN) - In the waning hours of the presidential race, the toughest shot against Barack Obama may not have come from the Republican ticket, but from country music star Hank Williams, Jr.

The country-rocker, a campaign trail fixture who has penned a special song for the GOP ticket called "McCain-Palin Tradition," suggested Monday Obama doesn't like the national anthem.

“You know, I’m usually at Monday Night Football tonight, but Colorado, this is a lot more important tonight. Join me now in our national — you know, that song that, uh, Mr. Obama’s not real crazy about, we’re singing it right now," he said before performing his version of the song.

Williams, Jr., aka Bocephus, also performed "McCain-Palin Tradition," which includes a line that suggests Obama has "terrorist friends."

After playing both songs, Palin thanked Williams, Jr. for his help on the campaign trail, and did not acknowledge the national anthem remark.

The comments appear to reference a long-debunked e-mail rumor that Barack Obama refuses to put his hand on his heart when the national anthem is played. That e-mail stems from a 2007 photograph showing the Illinois senator with his hands by his side during a performance of the song.

The e-mail also stated Obama said the national anthem is a "war-like message" and should be swapped for a tune like "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing."

Obama, in fact, has never said those things.

1. Amy

This is what a typical "ugly American" is... How pathetic, how ignorant.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08! Yeah!

November 4, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  2. oh no

It's amazing to see people who are afraid to see things change..... and cover up that fear by saying foolish things like this....,

November 4, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  3. Lisa

How ridiculous can the right be? Hank Williams Jr. you're fool!

November 4, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  4. mm

Hi, Folks Hank is right! Obama is a terrorist and is not a christian after all, He (Obama) hates the pledge of allegiance!

all of you need to wake up Obama is a wolf in sheeps clothing as soon as he can he and his muslim Pals are going to screw us all !
    How can real Americans just stand by and let this fool uncle tom (Obama) even run for the office! I say kick him and his kind out of our country ! (USA)! Today!

November 4, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  5. Joe, VA

Joe the plumber now the Hanks. How the hell can we get them back to Alaska? I wish that bridge to moose hunting was complete. SOO TIRED OF THESE SKUNKS.

IDIOTS, I mean IDIOTS.

November 4, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  6. desi

I used to be a fan of Hank Williams Jr but no more! No kidding, I can never listen to him again. What an idiot.

November 4, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  7. Say what???

I don't put my right hand over my heart when the National Anthem is played/sung either !!!! Just during the "pledge" of allegiance !!!

Is it just me...or has this country forgot one major thing...??? I don't care who the candidate is...if they are 72 years old...they do not get my vote!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  8. db.in.tx

if you haven't voted yet, please visit this link and take the time to watch why we are in this recession, keep an open mind, not a republican or democratic mind, an open mind, and see the proof in front of your eyes.

November 4, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  9. Citizen

A drunken hillbilly with a guitar talking crap. Priceless.

November 4, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  10. WDM

Hank Williams Jr. is a disgrace to his father name.

November 4, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  11. charhern

There is too much hate in this country today. Especially from both sodes of the campagn and the supporters of each campaign. Thats right. All of America. We need to shut up. Go vote. Find out who is elected President and unite as a country to solve the problems that we are facing today. We have been spoiled too long as Americans.

November 4, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  12. vb in decatur, ga

Hank Williams should be banned from MNF for promoting hatred and spreading lies. The NFL prides itself with being a team player and patriotic. To think that this idiot is promoting hatred and is a spokesman for the NFL, ESPN, ABC MNF is absurd. I will be boycotting the MNF for as long as Hank Williams is singing its fanfare.

November 4, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  13. George

This...ah..."cowboy", has the IQ of a handball.
    I don't no what the hell he's doing on "Monday Night " Football.
    Can't stand him, never could. Maybe (if theres a God) this fat slob
    has shown himself for what he is, a brain-dead fool.

Hey...Hank, GO HOME

November 4, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  14. Allan

As the Dixie Chicks sang in their song "Long Time Gone," lamenting the sorry state of contemporary country radio, "They got Junior but they ain't got Hank."

Hank and Sarah are a perfect pair: two big fat LOSERS. And one is ugly on the outside, while the other is ugly on the inside.

November 4, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  15. Joe the Butt Plumber

Bocephus? Moar liek /b/OSYPHILIS amirite???

November 4, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  16. Jane

I am convinced that most of the posters here are under the age of fifteen and by and large don't have a clue about politics in the United States of America. It is a known fact that very few of you know any history of the country at all and how politics have ALWAYS been conducted here. Find a good history of American politics that actually tells how the campaigns were run all the way back to the beginning and then maybe you will have a little more understanding of the traditions that have existed since the Republic was founded. Most of you are wet-behind-the-ears kids trying to play at politics. I think the voting age should be raised to about twenty-five years at least to give you modern day clueless people a chance to learn a little history – maybe you could learn at least a bit by osmosis if you lived long enough. These politicians are not nearly as scary as you are !

November 4, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  17. Chris

you have to be kidding me.... To think either of these candidates are going to bring about change is naive. Dumb Americans at it once again and I was born and raised in America. Hear the plan for change before voting for someone who promises it. All politicians are the same and he will have his own agenda when he gets into office. Neither candidate is a great leader nor are they great for this country. I recommend not voting for once in my life. America can produce better candidates for the position. It's all about leverage and these two certainly have it with their parties.........

November 4, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  18. deewee99

Typical redneck stupidity! I'm just over these types of uninformed people!

November 4, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  19. voter

All you Obama marketing gurus are doing a fine job filling up the blogs with hate. But America will not be divided. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

November 4, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  20. Obama for '08

People...

You only place your hand over your heart for THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE!! And Obama is American. He grew up in Hawaii! How many ignorant people are there really in this country? McCain did nothing for my state of Arizona, was part of the Keating 5, and has a wife who was addicted to prescription drugs! Obama may not have much experience, but he doesn't have the kind of baggage that McCain already has. Who gives a hoot if he was a POW?! That was about 40 years ago! My dad was a Vietnam Vet, but that doesn't mean I think he has the experience or should be President! For all you McCain/Palin supporters, get ready for change!!

Obama/Biden '08

November 4, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  21. Kim

I respect this country, I was born here. But I do not put hand over heart to pledge allegiance to this country's flag because my allegiance is to God. I stand respectfully in silence. I respect the flag as a symbol but do not use symbols or images to worship.
    I don't break laws or cheat on taxes, etc.

I betcha if you told a drunken redneck to burn the flag to be cool among his friends, he/she would do it. I don't think a true redneck has depth of understanding. It's all surface bravado, and repeating conservative talk radio sound bites.

November 4, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  22. doc4obama

Sarah Palin needs to take Hank Williams, Jr (who apparently represents the real America that she speaks of), Joe the Plumber, Joe Six-pack, and all those haters that scream "Kill him" and "Terrorist" at her rallies, put them all on a plane and SECEDE!!

Obama/Biden '08!!

November 4, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  23. sam

TO V. U SOUND SO IGNORANT AND DUM.

HANK, YOU ARE A TYPICAL GOP. TRYING TO THROW ANYTHING AT THE LAST MIN. SHUT UP ..

November 4, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  24. Angie

Your right Mary from Florida- These days if your A republican most likely either,RICH,RACIST OR JUST PLAIN STUPID.

The rich vote republican because they do not believe in government handouts. They work hard for their money and do not want to give away money because the gov't says so. Their money their choice for charity not big brother.

Remember if you hate the bailout of wall street then you are not a fan of gov't giving money to help out those who can not do it alone.

And in Mary's words, you must be rich- because only rich people think like this and then vote republican..

November 4, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  25. Bill in JC, NY

Hopefully, this will all be over in less than 24 hrs.

Bye bye McCain.
    Bye bye Palin.

Take your plumber and washed up singer with you, we don't want them either.

November 4, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |