November 3rd, 2008

Hank Williams, Jr. says Obama doesn't like the National Anthem

Hank Williams, Jr. has performed at several McCain-Palin campaign events.
Hank Williams, Jr. has performed at several McCain-Palin campaign events.

(CNN) - In the waning hours of the presidential race, the toughest shot against Barack Obama may not have come from the Republican ticket, but from country music star Hank Williams, Jr.

The country-rocker, a campaign trail fixture who has penned a special song for the GOP ticket called "McCain-Palin Tradition," suggested Monday Obama doesn't like the national anthem.

“You know, I’m usually at Monday Night Football tonight, but Colorado, this is a lot more important tonight. Join me now in our national — you know, that song that, uh, Mr. Obama’s not real crazy about, we’re singing it right now," he said before performing his version of the song.

Williams, Jr., aka Bocephus, also performed "McCain-Palin Tradition," which includes a line that suggests Obama has "terrorist friends."

After playing both songs, Palin thanked Williams, Jr. for his help on the campaign trail, and did not acknowledge the national anthem remark.

The comments appear to reference a long-debunked e-mail rumor that Barack Obama refuses to put his hand on his heart when the national anthem is played. That e-mail stems from a 2007 photograph showing the Illinois senator with his hands by his side during a performance of the song.

The e-mail also stated Obama said the national anthem is a "war-like message" and should be swapped for a tune like "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing."

Obama, in fact, has never said those things.

1. willowood

Mr. Williams is a poor example to call Senator Obama unpatriotic. Maybe he just doesn't like your tired twangy old voice singing the national anthem. I sure have to cover my ears when you sing. Go clean yourself up and get a life. The only old redneck has been celebrity who has come to McCain's defense and you can't even keep a tune or tell a good lie. Go AWAY!

November 3, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  2. Laurie

Hank Williams Jr is a clown. Love his dad but the son is a bozo.

November 3, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  3. Bulldog

Just another GOP fear monger who has no other options but make false allegations and lie because the GOP is desperate and out of solutions to make this country better.

November 3, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  4. Barack The Vote

Everytime I think the GOP can't go any lower, they never fail to prove me wrong...th

November 3, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  5. marc

They call themselves good christian folk. Jesus must be rolling in his grave! Shame on the right wing, they have hijacked what it really means to be a decent kind loving person.

November 3, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  6. Jumpin Jack Flash

Hey Hank, I have song for you: "Are You Ready for a Landslide?"

November 3, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  7. Nick

This is getting ridiculous and offensive. My family immigrated to the United States in 1929 to escape Fascist italy. My grandmother used to tell me stories about Mussolini in the 1920's and how he won the people over. This is starting to sound eerily like that.

If McCain wins, America has adopted Fascism and I don't belong here. My family has fought fascism for decades, we will continue to do so.

November 3, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  8. Anonymous

Hank who?

November 3, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  9. Republican for Obama

I have voted Republican in every presidential election but I won’t be this time. I cannot vote for McCain because he supports amnesty for illegal immigrants and he cheated on his first wife. He was cheating on his first wife while he was married and had a child at home. This shows a lack of morals and family values. The most important role in a mans life is being a good father and he failed!!!! I realize Cindy was much younger, beautiful, and rich but McCain was selfish. He put himself ahead of his wife and child. McCain FIRST and FAMILY SECOND!!!! McCain was also a central figure in the savings and loan scandal that cost taxpayers billion of dollars. As far as I am concerned, McCain is just another slimy politician!!!!!!! I will be voting for a Third Party candidate.

November 3, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  10. Why Obama Has Lost Already.

Millions of Americans, like me, are telling pollsters as well as family and friends that they are voting for Obama. Why? Just to keep the peace.

But in the privacy of the voting booth, we are pulling the lever for McCain/Palin and primarily Sarah Palin who we expect to be Pres. in 2012.

November 3, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  11. Open Your 3rd Eye

THEY HAVE OFFICIALLY HIT ROCK BOTTOM.

I WAS TRYING TO BE MODEST BY PREDICTING A CLOSE RACE.

NOW, I HOPE FOR A BLOW OUT.

November 3, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  12. Amy

Don't hate Hank. He's just the messenger.

The message of hate, division, lies and fear come from the mouths of McCain and Palin. Are we really surprised she didn't try to stand up for the truth and set Hank straight?

Obama/Biden for truth, dignity, hope, inclusiveness and change.

November 3, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  13. Unshrub

Hank Williams Jr and Joe the Plumber, are these the best McCain can get speak for him. Who's next, Sarah the Hocky Mom, Opps, he already has her. No wonder why McCain is loosing.

November 3, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  14. Finally

People remember we are electing a President, not a king, dictator, or terrorist. No matter who wins we will still be the USA with more freedom than most countries. Vote with the facts not your beliefs.

November 3, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  15. Seriously????

Hank, you are nothing more than an ignorant, inbred redneck cracker. The time for you and your Southern bred trailer trash loser buddies with more dogs than teeth is at an end. Your buddy John McSame is about to get his *** kicked by a black man, and you can't handle it. Thank you for showing us your true colors, Bo-racist.....

November 3, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Conny, you are right. He deserves to go away!

November 3, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  17. HAWK, TEXAS

Hank, when you got drunk and drugged up and fell off that mountain, it scattered what little brains you had. i knew your daddy and if he were here he would kick what little you have left down that mountain again.

November 3, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  18. Get Obama's Auint out of the Country

She's an illegal immigrant who has already been deported and now she's living off taxpayer money in Public Housing.

I am Mexican-but I am a legal immigrant–but I can't get Public Housing.

What's going on here. This is why Latinos hate blacks.

November 3, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  19. Meghann in OR

I feel so sorry for McCain. He must feel like a fool. All he has left is Joe the Plumber and this idiot to represent him.

November 3, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  20. Whack job

Bunch of loud and foul mouths republicans.

November 3, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  21. Brian

Get your lies more lies are here!

Republicans love lies.

November 3, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  22. Anthony

And tomorrow.. it will be PRESIDENT OBAMA, to you Mr Williams...

put a cork in it you RightWing Bafoon.

November 3, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  23. Chipster

OMG! We're now supposed to make decisions based on Hank Williams Jr. 's judgment? Are you kidding me? Chuck Norris, Hank Jr., Sarah Palin (aka Unbaked Alaskan), please tell me this is some sort of joke! Poor John McCain, he's truly desperate to be dragging out these losers.

What in the world makes these people think they have more respect for America than Sen. Obama? Do they just accept anything the GOP tells them? I guess so. Hank Williams Jr.? Good grief!

November 3, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  24. american

November 3rd, 2008 9:32 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Obama In FACT Never said those things.

Just another steaming pile of Lies from the McCain Palin Lie Machine.

It doesn't make any difference at all that Palin didn't say these things… It is Even Worse that she stood there and listened to this Ignorant man spew hateful and untrue violence insiting remarks and then proceeded with her own rhetoric… Condoning this behavior is the mark of a truly Worthless american.

November 3, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  25. Paula, Indiana

Go have another beer with Joe Six Pack... at least if you're drinking we don't have to listen to your nonsense!

November 3, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |