November 3rd, 2008

Hank Williams, Jr. says Obama doesn't like the National Anthem

Hank Williams, Jr. has performed at several McCain-Palin campaign events.
Hank Williams, Jr. has performed at several McCain-Palin campaign events.

(CNN) - In the waning hours of the presidential race, the toughest shot against Barack Obama may not have come from the Republican ticket, but from country music star Hank Williams, Jr.

The country-rocker, a campaign trail fixture who has penned a special song for the GOP ticket called "McCain-Palin Tradition," suggested Monday Obama doesn't like the national anthem.

“You know, I’m usually at Monday Night Football tonight, but Colorado, this is a lot more important tonight. Join me now in our national — you know, that song that, uh, Mr. Obama’s not real crazy about, we’re singing it right now," he said before performing his version of the song.

Williams, Jr., aka Bocephus, also performed "McCain-Palin Tradition," which includes a line that suggests Obama has "terrorist friends."

After playing both songs, Palin thanked Williams, Jr. for his help on the campaign trail, and did not acknowledge the national anthem remark.

The comments appear to reference a long-debunked e-mail rumor that Barack Obama refuses to put his hand on his heart when the national anthem is played. That e-mail stems from a 2007 photograph showing the Illinois senator with his hands by his side during a performance of the song.

The e-mail also stated Obama said the national anthem is a "war-like message" and should be swapped for a tune like "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing."

Obama, in fact, has never said those things.

1. nyla

November 3rd, 2008 11:09 pm ET

IDIOTS UNITE, and please leave the United States.

Obama/Biden 08.

and someone please take 'joe the plummer' with them!!! :)

November 3, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  2. Brian

They've been calling Barack Obama every name in the book. But after tomorrow they can simply address him as the 44th President of the United States of America!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08!!!

November 3, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  3. gaj

i keep on asking my friends "who actually does Mrs Palin inspire?" , i keep asking them this because i think that the republican party can produce a more formidable and intelligent female candidate to champion their course on the national stage.Palin point blank has an IQ deficit for someone seeking political relevance on the national level,look at the interview with katie couric,the vp debate and lately how she fell for prankers on phone; how could Palin think that Sarkozy would discuss Carla Bruni's prowess in bed with her in their first ever conversation! i think palin went this far in politics thanks to her looks! America deserves better.

November 3, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  4. d.a.v.i.d.

you're killing Hank III, you know? I could have seen you do this for Ron Paul... You're the laughingstock of the bus now, not the one who bankrolled it, but thanks!!!

November 3, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  5. Adam in NC

That's no way to talk about your next President.

November 4, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  6. Joe

The next comment would have been that senator Obama is not from this planet. See I am a registered Republican voting for Obama and changing my party affiliation. How can I trust a party that fabricates such misconceptions about anyone. What made me change? Dirty tricks and deception. Mac is not back!

November 4, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  7. Alex

Just when I thought the GOP couldn't be sunk any lower. You guys are dishonoring yourself and everyone who came before you.

November 4, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  8. Doug, Pittsburgh, PA

Typical GOP lies and misinformation from a drunken redneck.

November 4, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  9. Darrel from Denver

Unbelievable that someone could be so gullible as to state something like that about a candidate for the Presidency of the United States.

It goes to show you how Republicans think and act, apparently.

Sad.

November 4, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  10. Greg Hodges

I don`t even know why I`m bothering to respond to this bozo; except that this is so typical of the mentality of rednecks all over the U.S.. Do NOT bother them with the facts; once their puny little minds are already made up. It never ceases to amaze me how these backwood zealots are more concerned about symbolism then substance. While time and time again these myths appear about Barack Obama; and time and time again they are proven to be false and misleading; the good olde boys keep treating them as gospel truth. Pathetic!!

November 4, 2008 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  11. not fooled

ENOUGH WITH THE LIES

DO THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO SHAME? NO CHRISTIAN WOULD UTTER SUCH THINGS ABOUT A DECENT HUMAN BEING, BUT ONCE AGAIN THE MCCAIN CAMPS MANTRA RINGS TRUE:

HEAR NO EVIL, SEE NO EVIL, SPEAK NO EVIL, UNLESS SOMEHOW ITS ABOUT THEM.

PATHETIC

November 4, 2008 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  12. Laura, Boston

I am a John McCain supporter but I believe that Mr. Williams although entitled to his opinion was wrong in his comments.

Before you all go balistic think how many of you have come out and questioned John McCain and Sarah Palin? I have read so many hate filled blogs that my head is swimming. Sarah didn't release her medical records because the baby's not hers. John McCain is a traitor. These are both false stories and I will be glad when this is over tomorrow.

If Obama wins I hope this country will heal and if McCain wins I hope the same thing! Is anybody else with me? It is time to end the hate!

November 4, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  13. S. Boatman

I Heard You Butcher The National Anthem Today! That Was Very Un Patriotic Of You!

November 4, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  14. Joman

Nothing stokes the fires of hate like ignorance and lies.

For someone who vowed to run a clean campaign, McCain has divided us more than Rush Limbaugh ever could...

November 4, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  15. Desmond Sequeira

And this Hank Williams guy is obviously a pitbull in the FAILIN -McBUSH smear & fear hate machine!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  16. OBAMA 44TH PRESIDENT OF U.S.

THIS IS RACIST AND VERY UNPLEASING TO SEE. THIS CAMPAIGN IS SOWING A SEED OF HATE AND IT SHOWS THAT IF ANYONE IS MORE PATRIOTIC IT IS SENATOR OBAMA FOR PUTTING COUNTRY FIRST, AND NOT TURNING HIS SUPPORTERS AGAINST MCCAIN.

November 4, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  17. Old Dominionite

I donated to the Obama Camp, volunteered dozens of hours of my free time, talked to every undecided friend I know, and just spent my whole night putting out door knockers for GOTV efforts in a rich arlington suburb (aka McCain/Palin country)

But coming home and seeing this reminds me of why it was all worth it. These people are going down tomorrow, and hard

November 4, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  18. Wes

Typical uninformed gun lovin', beer guzzlin', wife beatin', teeth-a-missin' redneck. Go marry your first cousin.

Idiot.

November 4, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  19. TexicoFrom Mexico

That guy is a washed up artist who does nothing but spew hate! His MNF song was worn out 15 years ago! When was the last time that white trash loser had a hit song? I think it was 1988 with Born to Boogie...with Van Halen. Sad...all that guy has ever done is sing about the south rising again..or If heaven was alot like dixie! What a racist!

November 4, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  20. Jacque of Louisiana

Well, I hope CNN now sees why the ratings have gone so far down the past few years. I wondered who was watching all of this crap. Now I see......Look at the brainwashing the media has done. The sad thing is what will it cost us as a country? Who cares what HW says, it is still a free country , for a few more hours anyway. It is what Obama isn't saying that should be worrying you people!

November 4, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  21. Gregg

Clearly the majority of you are idiots...I would imagine these would be the posts here on CNN, the Clinton News Network...nothing but left winger liberal democrats....I hope you have all thought about the lack of experience you are voting for, and thought of how someone with his whole, oh wow...8 YEARS experience, will handle things such as foreign policy...very poorly I am sure...I guess all I can say is that I hope for the sake of our country the popular vote doesn't matter like in 2000 and if it does I really hope the Bradley effect comes into play.

November 4, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  22. Hank Vanmeesen

It seems that Hank Williams makes stupid remarks both when he is drunk ,and when he is sober!

November 4, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  23. c

May God protect us if that man rules this country tomorrow. We will be lost with Obama! No Osama for President! How ignorant are country has become, so sad. What would our forefathers say to see this come about.

November 4, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  24. nb

My president is Arab! Darn..I thought I had left the desert behind.

November 4, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  25. bridgette

Just because you make up something in your mind doesn't believe it's true. And if it does I know own Oprah's bank account. I believe so therefore it's true and I can stop going on Career builder everyday to find a job.

November 4, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |