November 3rd, 2008

McCain to make last-minute push in the West

McCain is heading back to New Mexico tomorrow.
McCain is heading back to New Mexico tomorrow.

(CNN) - John McCain will spend the final hours before the polls close Tuesday visiting Colorado and New Mexico, two states his campaign manager now says are key to a last-minute “new pathway to victory.”

Both states voted for President Bush in 2004, but have been leaning Obama this cycle.

Watch: McCain looks for a late shift in momentum

Late Sunday, McCain campaign manager Rick Davis sketched out a fresh roadmap to the White House that runs through the West, telling reporters that new surveys that suggested Barack Obama’s lead was shrinking to single digits had given the Republican nominee reason for optimism. “If we can win Nevada, Colorado and New Mexico, all of the sudden we’ve got a whole new pathway to victory,” Davis told reporters. “Those weren’t even on the list three weeks ago.”

McCain's visit to New Mexico tomorrow will mark his second stop in the state in two days.

Watch: McCain says 'I need your vote'

Obama leads by 6 in the most recent CNN Colorado poll of polls, and by 8 points in an Albuquerque Journal/Research & Polling survey of New Mexico voters, both released late last week.

Both states also feature Senate races for seats held by retiring Republicans; Democrats are heavily favored in both contests, as the party pushes for a filibuster-proof 60-seat majority in the Senate.

Filed under: Colorado • John McCain • New Mexico
  1. Pat

Kool-Aid people who is Obama?....Obama is the Manchurian Candidate...

America's only hope is McCain!

November 3, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  2. Obama will win

Shame on you McCain for your offensive vile campaign that portrays America as an intolerant society.

November 3, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  3. mccain your done

November 3rd, 2008 1:10 pm ET

I have zero doubt that John McCain will win this election.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Repulicans you should all be on SNL

November 3, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  4. az voter

Come on home John so you can share your state's joy when we Arizonians vote you out of the race.

And because you've taken the low road you can brace yourself for your senate race too.

By the way John, as a loyal Republican I can tell you that Sarah was a joke that took its toll on you!

I guess it's time to sell beer with your lovely wife Cindy.

November 3, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  5. MarcyWH, Pa

Senator McCain, you practically handed over the white house to Obama when you picked Palin, and chose to run a campaign based on hate and fear. I would have voted for Obama anyway, but, I would have respected you.

November 3, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  6. JIM

I grew up in Alabama and I know a racist when I see one. I see one in John McCain. You would think that a man who spent time in the military ( I spent 20 years, USAF) would be able to change. How could he change this country if he cannot change himself. What a hypocrite! Plus he sucks up to GWB. Lost all respect for McCain.

November 3, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  7. FreeNLovIt

All, what has the REPUBLICANS done for us, to deserve 4 more years?

November 3, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  8. Pat

America's only hope is McCain! Do not trust Obama the Manchurian Candidate.

November 3, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  9. Bob

Vote for a true American Patriot...John McCain.

Not a pretender like Hussein....

November 3, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  10. JJ in Canada

You have strange election rules there! I've never stood in line more than ten minutes to cast my ballot in the 40 years I've lived in Canada.
    No candidate is allowed to campaign on E-Day. They cannot have signs up within 200 yards of any polling station on E-Day and NO VOTER is allowed into the polling station wearing ANYTHING indication who they are voting forIt seems to me that these long lines (5 to 10 hours) are to deliberately disenfranchise those voters who:

1..are only allowed an hour or two off work to vote
    2. cannot afford to take a day off work to vote
    3..cannot stand in lines for hours due to health reasons

Doesn't appear like a level playing field to me.

November 3, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  11. Christine CT

LOL!!!
    I just heard someone call into Rush Limbaugh and blame him for the loss of the election! She called him out on his appeal to voters during the primaries to vote Democrat against Hillary as a set-up, in "Operation Chaos". He , for once, was speechless and wanted to know what her source was? How about him flapping his big fat mouth all of the primary season?
    He made a mockery of the election process, got his listeners to vote because of his bad advice, and now is paying the price.
    The only card McCain has left, according to the caller, is racism, and people aren't buying into it anymore!
    As for PUMAS, blame Rush, not the DNC!

OBAMA/BIDEN: YES WE CAN!!!

November 3, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  12. sick n tired

Just found out today that my property taxes just went up by $1000 a year!!!!!! And my house isnt worth as much as it was last year! HOWS THAT WORK???? Good thing i lost my $52,000 a year job 3 weeks ago because the company was forced to close their doors due to this BS economy! I WAS BEGINING TO RUN OUT OF THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 3, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  13. Joe the mechanic.

A faint glimmer of hope. Quick ! Make up some huge Lie to scare the heck out of the voters.

November 3, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  14. demwit

We don;t need someone with a lifetime of experience to lead us in these troubled financial times. We need a zero, someone with charm and carisma, someone that will inspire us to spend more...

November 3, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  15. Kim in AZ

I'm so sick of McCain I could vomit. Too bad his senate seat isn't up for election tomorrow as well.

November 3, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |