November 3rd, 2008

McCain to make last-minute push in the West

McCain is heading back to New Mexico tomorrow.
McCain is heading back to New Mexico tomorrow.

(CNN) - John McCain will spend the final hours before the polls close Tuesday visiting Colorado and New Mexico, two states his campaign manager now says are key to a last-minute “new pathway to victory.”

Both states voted for President Bush in 2004, but have been leaning Obama this cycle.

Watch: McCain looks for a late shift in momentum

Late Sunday, McCain campaign manager Rick Davis sketched out a fresh roadmap to the White House that runs through the West, telling reporters that new surveys that suggested Barack Obama’s lead was shrinking to single digits had given the Republican nominee reason for optimism. “If we can win Nevada, Colorado and New Mexico, all of the sudden we’ve got a whole new pathway to victory,” Davis told reporters. “Those weren’t even on the list three weeks ago.”

McCain's visit to New Mexico tomorrow will mark his second stop in the state in two days.

Watch: McCain says 'I need your vote'

Obama leads by 6 in the most recent CNN Colorado poll of polls, and by 8 points in an Albuquerque Journal/Research & Polling survey of New Mexico voters, both released late last week.

Both states also feature Senate races for seats held by retiring Republicans; Democrats are heavily favored in both contests, as the party pushes for a filibuster-proof 60-seat majority in the Senate.

Filed under: Colorado • John McCain • New Mexico
  1. CL

Poor man. Suffers from "Electile Dysfunction".

November 3, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  2. Rai

Dear friends,Almost everyone has forgotten one great thing in this election. Senator Barack Obama and all his tv networks and newspapers have been talking 95% negative about Sen. John McCain and Governor Sarah Palin. But they have fogotten the man himself. Senator John McCain is a man of great spiritual and physical strength. This man has energy that cannot be explain. He is 72years old and yet he never faint and never weary. He is remarkable. Everyone will love to grow old and yet remain strong as he is. Senator Barack Obama his pundits say that this man is too old, and that Gov. Palin is just a step away fro the presidency. The clear truth is that Sen. McCain is a young man in an old body. He is as strong as when he was at the age of 17. I am an an African-American in my 30s and would love to live that long and beyond with such energy. I admire Senator John McCain a great deal. I can look into his eyes, listen to his speech and just trust him. I believe all his life stories with all the proofs and work record to show for it. I like Senator Barack Obama, but he talks too much, giving a lot of hopes without HOW. Sen. Obama don't have to expire me with his enticing words of hope; I can inspire myself and hope for myself. I have carefully listened to Sen. Obama's words and analyzed them. He has no proofs and no records to convinced me. I am not safe in his hands at all. Governor Palin? This is a remarkable woman. Earlier in the primary, my wife and I supported Hillary Clinton. But after she was manipulated out by Sen. Obama and his group, we decided to switch for Sen. John McCain. And when Gov. Palin showed up, we were now convinced. The pundits and all media houses did not even know the name of the most popular Governor in the US. That is a shame. Because they knew nothing about her, they went the negative from distance. This is a woman who had achieved so much in such a short time in her life. She was in Wasilla PTA, became Wasilla Mayor and then Governor. She is blessed with a wonderful family and parents. And today, she is about to become the VP of this great nation. Her records showed all these. When the American people weigh in tomorrow with their votes, bothe Senator Barack Obama and all his pundits will see that no one can buy AMERICA with his money. The man, Senator John McCain is the right man we need at this time in the history of America. No one more, no one less and no one else. Thank you friends. God bless you and God bless AMERICA! rai

November 3, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  3. Dealt, Lisbon

Please explain something that's been puzzling me: do americns vote for their president by repeating the chants they hear at rallies? I'm very sorry to say this but some Republicans here, seem to repeat weary and absurd accusations that Obama is a redistributor and has said that he would bankrupt coal companies. Can't americans at least READ??? Obama has said a few things that are misleading, yes, that is they may be interpreted one way or the other but the republicans have reallly been lying through their teeth. And it's not just Palin, that nitwit, but also the "white haired, wise, honourable, hero, all too tested" McCain. Dajmn, do READ. Unless you think fact checks in the press are just a plot from thed media to surpress the truth.

Some here sound dumb enough to believe it. If you can read read (and understand) all the fact checks here. And then look it on other sites (various... english, american, whatever language you can read, if any). And check before you parrot iit here.

November 3, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  4. Brandon

I have heard a lot of talk about character. It is interesting that we are not reminded that Cindy was not John's first wife. Biblically or from a moral/ethical standpoint is this a representation of character? When the going gets tuff, McCain can stay in a POW camp, but not stay with his first wife?

November 3, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  5. Greed is not good

DOn't bother. The "Left Coast" and our Western neighbors are OBAMA strongholds.

November 3, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  6. Tony

The polls are tightening up; Virginia's back in toss-up status, Minnesota isn't strongly leaning Obama anymore, and Obama's lead in Pennsylvania is eroding. If McCain can keep Colorado red and flip New Mexico back to red, which have nearly strongly leaned Obama, then things are looking really good for McCain.

November 3, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  7. will

I'm just complex in my thoughts of trying to think why would anyone would want to allow a George W. Bush clone to enter into the White House after what have happen over the last eight years, almost a whole decade of Americans lives. And if the African American race were not a minority race the American people wouldn't have to be worrying about race been a problem in this election.

McCain = no change

Obama/Biden 2008

November 3, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  8. mccain your done

Sarah Palin the next GOP leader? Please GOD let them be that stupid.

November 3, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  9. Redneck from Kentucky

Too little too late McSame!

November 3, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  10. gl, Pittsburgh

it is too late becasue voting have already started and nobody is listening to what any of them right now. We just want this election to be over. Why would any body be listening to McCain on election day that is just crazy.

November 3, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  11. Cathy, Arizona

What's with McCain being in Tennessee, yet talking like he's in Virginia? Man is he ever confused!! Now when you go to New Mexico, Sen. McCain PLEASE talk like you are in Nevada!!! Ha, ha, ha!!

We have a very tight race in our home state - Arizona VOTE OBAMA/BIDEN!!

November 3, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  12. mccain your done

Don

The one thing we have learned in this election season is that the media wants to control us…We have tapes kept out of site, we have bias reporting and we can in part thank Barack Obama for some of this. If he is elected will we ever know the truth..We have been given excuses for every connection, for every "boneheaded" statement because the media wants....BLAH BLAH BLAH

Can you really be this stupid. Is that possible? Ask john (your hero about) Keating. Ask him why his military records are sealed. The stories that you are talking about have been available for a year you idiot.

November 3, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  13. Liz F

McCain: I can do it, I know how, let me try, c'mon guys, I can get Bin Landen, I know how to do it, I can do it...I will do it because I know how to do it....we need to fight, keep fighting.
    PLEASE make it stop!
    All these mini- phrases he uses, but no substance!
    and Palin – the 'you betcha' gal – is offensive to women.
    PLEASE make it stop!
    Please!!!

November 3, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  14. David

I just noticed a video of a security guard independent stumping for McCain. How is this news? Who cares? Please something important to report.

November 3, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  15. Immigrant for McCain

I'm an Italian immigrant that came to the US with $300 in my pocket. I was looking forward to all the opportunities America had to offer me. I worked hard all my life. Not once, was anything distributed to me. I raised 4 kids and made a nice living. I'm voting for McCain because I think he will create opportunities, like those that were offered to me. I think he will rebuild America and make it a proud country. If I made it, not knowing English, not knowing anybody, so can other Americans.

November 3, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  16. 47yo male for McCain

Obama's going down. Keep up the hard work McCain. You got it in the bag!

November 3, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  17. No More Ole Boys Club Shenanigans

I just viewed a CNN clip about a nighttime security guard, a woman in Colorado, that recently went to work for the McCain campaign.

This 37 year old woman went on to say that she did want her "wealth" spread around to other people.

OMG. She is so dumb.

She probably makes $40 to $50K and she's too ______ [stupid, gullable, bigoted, etc] to see that whatever wealth she has whe will keep and that under Obama, she'd have more money in her pocket than under McCain.

It's people like her that are why McCain could still win.

Americans ( Brown, Black, White, Yellow) you've gotta vote ... and vote your self interests. If you do, Barack is the clear choice.

November 3, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  18. laurel

As long as it isn't the West Wing!

November 3, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  19. Ulrike

Mc Cain wants to be COMMANDER IN CHIEF.
    I don´t think he really wants to be President.
    That is so scary.
    I hope for our whole world that in two days he will finally bury his commander in chief dream – for good – and that Palin will stay in Alaska where she cannot do that much harm.
    Amen!

November 3, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  20. AdobemanAZ

It struck me today that this election may be the equivalent of the American people's "Impeachment" of the Republican Party, for the last 8-years Republican mismanagement, corruption, and criminal activity is the running of the United States. A job that the Congress had an obligation to undertake, but didn't have the backbone for.

November 3, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  21. Dallas, TX

Go McCain, this race is NOT over yet even though the Dems would like everyone to think so!!

November 3, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  22. Don't Be Fooled

McCain is going to take us in the same old direction. The only new direction he's talking about is IRAN. Don't be fooled America, in a little more than 24 we can get rid of George W. Bush, Cheney, McCain, Rove and the whole kitten kaboodle. Fight on.

Obama/Biden 08

November 3, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  23. Ron , West Coast

Nov. 4th , 2008 , .......

John McBush returns to " Sleepy Hollow Retirement Home ", and Sarah " The Mouth " Palin , returns to her dysfunctional family in Alaska .

November 3, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  24. Jeff

Turn out the lights.....the parties over!

November 3, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  25. mms

he might as well throw in the towel they are done.their fear and smear campaigning did no good!

November 3, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |