November 3rd, 2008

McCain to make last-minute push in the West

McCain is heading back to New Mexico tomorrow.
McCain is heading back to New Mexico tomorrow.

(CNN) - John McCain will spend the final hours before the polls close Tuesday visiting Colorado and New Mexico, two states his campaign manager now says are key to a last-minute “new pathway to victory.”

Both states voted for President Bush in 2004, but have been leaning Obama this cycle.

Watch: McCain looks for a late shift in momentum

Late Sunday, McCain campaign manager Rick Davis sketched out a fresh roadmap to the White House that runs through the West, telling reporters that new surveys that suggested Barack Obama’s lead was shrinking to single digits had given the Republican nominee reason for optimism. “If we can win Nevada, Colorado and New Mexico, all of the sudden we’ve got a whole new pathway to victory,” Davis told reporters. “Those weren’t even on the list three weeks ago.”

McCain's visit to New Mexico tomorrow will mark his second stop in the state in two days.

Watch: McCain says 'I need your vote'

Obama leads by 6 in the most recent CNN Colorado poll of polls, and by 8 points in an Albuquerque Journal/Research & Polling survey of New Mexico voters, both released late last week.

Both states also feature Senate races for seats held by retiring Republicans; Democrats are heavily favored in both contests, as the party pushes for a filibuster-proof 60-seat majority in the Senate.

Filed under: Colorado • John McCain • New Mexico
  1. karen-phoenix

I'm a registered republican in AZ and will be voting for Obama/Biden!
    The republican party and McCain are disgusting and have run one of the most viel champaigns in the history of my 64 years on this earth! AND I was even a republican election judge for 14 years and have always supported the rep. party. NO MORE!!! The republican party has become the party of the radical right wing and skinheads in this country and they had better take the next few years and redo their whole party!!!! NO MORE OLD RICH dumb guys!!!!

November 3, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  2. Simmy

I hope they PUSH his cheating ...out of town! If that loser wins, I'm moving to Canada!

November 3, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  3. MeHere

McCain says it's time to take America in a new direction. It would still be the same direction Bush took us in the last 8 years. No thanks.

November 3, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  4. Colin

McCain says it's "time to take America in a new direction" for once you're right and the person that will do that is Barack Obama. McCain is the same thing America has had we need REAL change. I'm in Indiana and all I've seen are negative ads from McCain about Obama, none of them have ever said what he will do to improve our country. I'm tired of it, America is tired of it that is why I voted for REAL CHANGE Barack Obama. Turning Indiana blue!!!!

Please everyone get out there and vote for real change, real unity, a candidate that really wants to turn our country around: Barack Obama!!!!

November 3, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  5. Charlie

It would be nice if we Obama supporters stopped trying to imitate the McCain campaign. Soon to be "President Elect Obama" has wisely stayed away from harsh personal attacks and name calling. Can't we follow his lead.

November 3, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  6. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

It's time to take John McCain in a new direction.

GO WEST, OLD MAN!

Back home, dude.

He has lived in the West for years but still calls my state "Ora-gone." We pronounce it "Ory-gun" and that might not be how some think it should be pronounced, but you gotta be respectful.

November 3, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  7. Charles Atlanta

McCain will do and say anything to get elected. He had all the summer to define his campaign and his message before Democratic primary was over and he blew up. Guess what? "American economy is fundamentally strong" by him, and "Nation of whinners" by his economy advisor. Basically he is simply no idea on economy, no idea on how average Amercian live. And he is criticizing Bush now and mimic Obama's "change" as a reformer, and try to confuse you. He wants to balance the budget in 4 years ( what a joke!) And don't forget we have 10+ trillions of debt and keep growing (half of that is contributed by Bush of his own party.) Spread the wealth? We need to spread the burden of debt!!!

November 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  8. CLINTON

FINALLY THE DAY IS ALMOST HERE: NOBAMA OR MCSENILE? WHO EVER WINS WILL HAVE A ROUGH START AS PRESIDENT WITH ECONOMIC ISSUES TO ATTEND TO

November 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  9. Go Home John

The West has already been won, McCain, you are too late. Barack has left his heart in San Francisco and his soul in the Mile High City. Get over yourself, you're done.

Obama/Biden 08

November 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  10. Unshrub

This is McCain's "new pathway to victory?"

How can things be really looking good for McCain. No one has won when they have been down by 5% this close to the election. Gore and Kerry had less than 3% difference the day before election. Get a grasp on reality people.

November 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  11. m.c.

Tomorrow, all Pennsylvanians should remember Obama calling us "bitter people, clinging to guns and religion". Remember the church that Obama and Michelle and their daughters sat in. The white-hatred rants of their minister and "mentor". Pennsylvanians are more red than blue!!! Vote McCain or see our country go down the tubes!!!

November 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  12. THE US OF WHAT?

It is too late? McCain just sit down somewhere and relax your nerves.

November 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  13. Rai

Sen. Barack Obama don't know what he is talking about. He is a blind man who don't anyhting about America. Listen to me: "One blind man cannot lead another otherwise they will both fall into a ditch".

November 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  14. Obama Blue Baby

Blue skies shining on me
    Nothin' but blue skies do I see.

Obama Blue will be rolling over you-get over yourself McCain.

Obama/Biden 08

November 3, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  15. Sandra McKayGaston

Mr. McCain, have you ever considered what the United States has begun to look like on the world stage; you backed a President that has created problems on every front. We have more to look at than your lifespan. What will I do when my grandchildren are still looked at as less than for being American because NCLB has left the cognitive reasoning, higher thinking skills and pre-collegiate LAL, Logistical and Statistical data finding, interpersonal communication ability that can't be judged by standard testing and is inconsistent with students from the Middle and Far East who are excelling at these very techniques in their high schools years!!! Mr. Bush forgot to address this and you are so busy "clowning" and buffooning on SNL, and the like, that I must admit, an educated man from Harvard, who has addressed my present and future needs has more of what I expect in a President. "Sorry I'VE got to be "BLUE"."

November 3, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  16. Jane Burns from NC

Last minute push? He has to bus kids in from schools to fill out a rally. That's pretty sad.

The truth of the matter is if he can't even run a good campaign, how on earth can we expect him to perform effectively in running the country. And his choice of Sarah Palin leaves me speechless.

Don't buy into all the lies and innuendo.

Vote Obama...Bring snacks, a folding chair and your patience....

November 3, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  17. Michael in Houston

Are you serious Rai? Please tell me you are that same comedian from Canada who duped Sarah. You can't actually be serious! I am more qualified than Sarah to be VP! I am still trying to figure out how she got the majority of people to vote for her in Alaska to become Govener? There must been some very weak opposition or none in Alaska. I'm considering becoming a resident of Alaska so I can be the next Governer, if it is that easy. Naw, I will stick to being a Texan, it's alot warmer here.

November 3, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  18. bobbie cornett

We see where McCain is using Hillary and Obama's voices to campaign for himself, but now it seems he and Palin are also using Obama's words to campaign live. They are saying today what Obama has been saying for months. In addition to "change," they are also telling supporters at rallies to "hope." And the things Obama says he and Biden will do, if they are elected, McCain and Palin are also saying...it's the same things they will do. They might was well say... we endorse Obama and Biden.

November 3, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  19. Atlanta Voter

I am appauled by the add I just had the displeasure of viewing from the republicans. Is there no depth too low? In the beginning of this camapign I had the utmost respect for this man, but to call Obama “too risky and radical” based on sound bites from Jerrimiah Wright from months ago is just in bad taste. Why did they wait until the day before the election to run this add? Note to the republicans… stop reling on stiring up the dark past of fear and and intollerance in this country in order to win elections. This has inspired me to donate money to Obama's campaign. We as a country are TIRED of it and would like to unite. I hope that the truth of this statement is reflected loudly in the results of tomorrow’s election. Shame on you, and God Bless America!

November 3, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  20. Bryan

"John McCain will spend the final hours before the polls close Tuesday visiting Colorado and New Mexico.."

Does that mean, that in the US, you can continue to campaign while the polls are open?

November 3, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  21. Will the Real Maverick Please Stand Up?

Dave, Central Illinois–maybe a diaper change...?

November 3, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  22. Vote McCain

I got tired of listening to 'another 8 years of Bush' and decided to vote for McCain. I didn't hear anything else from Obama. I saw that he was polished and read his speeches very well. He blew it, when he started to flip flop on who will be taxed. Will be people making $250K, 150K or 125K. Deep down, I fear it will be every American citizen.

November 3, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  23. CO voter

mccain, you've already lost colorado... go focus on winning your own state (which is nearly up for grabs)!

November 3, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  24. GOP: Please define Patriotic

One word for McCain: ENOUGH!

November 3, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  25. Will the Real Maverick Please Stand Up?

Noah–give it up, there are plenty of skeletons in McCain's past.

November 3, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |