November 3rd, 2008

Poll update: McCain on defense in Bush states

McCain is campaigning to defend several Bush states.
McCain is campaigning to defend several Bush states.

(CNN) – New CNN state polls of polls released on the final full day of the 2008 campaign show Barack Obama holding on to battleground states won by John Kerry four years ago – and tied with or slightly ahead of John McCain in more than half a dozen others that voted for George Bush in 2004.

There’s some slight movement, but the polls of polls show the margin between the two men stands at just 1-3 percentage points in five crucial states. In four more, Obama holds an advantage of between 5 and 11 points.

Watch: The candidates make a final swing through the key battlegrounds

CNN’s new Florida poll of polls shows Obama leading McCain by 2 points, 48 to 46 percent. The last Florida poll of polls –- released November 2 –- showed Obama leading McCain by 4 points, 49 to 45 percent.

In the traditionally-Republican state of Indiana, the new poll of polls shows McCain leading Obama by 1 point, 47 to 46 percent. CNN’s last Indiana poll of polls –- released November 1 –- showed McCain and Obama tied at 47 percent each.

CNN’s new Missouri poll of polls shows McCain and Obama tied at 47 percent each. The last poll of polls –- released November 1 –- also showed McCain and Obama tied, at 48 percent each.

CNN’s new Nevada poll of polls shows Obama leading McCain by 5 points, 49 to 44 percent. The last Nevada poll of polls –- released November 2 –- showed Obama leading McCain by 6 points, 49 to 43 percent.

In New Hampshire – the state that boosted McCain’s 2000 presidential effort and helped him claim the nomination this cycle – the poll of polls shows Obama leading McCain by 11 points, 53 to 42 percent. CNN’s last New Hampshire poll of polls –- released November 2 –- also showed Obama leading McCain by 11 points, 53 to 42 percent.

CNN’s new North Carolina poll of polls shows Obama leading McCain by 1 point, 49 to 48 percent. The last North Carolina poll of polls –- released November 2 –- showed Obama leading McCain by 2 points.

Battleground Ohio – which helped seal Bush’s 2004 re-election bid – remains a tight race, with Obama leading McCain by 4 points, 49 to 45 percent, in the new CNN poll of polls. CNN’s last Ohio poll of polls –- released November 2 –- also showed Obama leading McCain by 4 points, 49 to 45 percent.

CNN’s new Pennsylvania poll of polls shows Obama leading McCain by 8 points, 51 to 43 percent, in a state the Republican’s campaign has said is key to victory. CNN’s last Pennsylvania Poll of Polls –- released November 2 –- showed Obama leading McCain by 7 points, 51 to 44 percent.

And CNN’s new Virginia poll of polls shows Obama leading McCain by 5 points, 50 to 45 percent. The last Virginia poll of polls –- released November 2 –- showed Obama leading McCain by 6 points, 51 to 45 percent.

The poll of polls is an average of recent surveys. It does not have a sampling error.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. A Startling Metamorphasis Has Occured ....

I liked McCain in 2000 against the neo con influences.

I can't follow the John McCain of 2008.

I'll be voting for THAT ONE!

November 3, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  2. pray2008pray

Susan, you were for MCCain way before recently......be real with yourself.

November 3, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  3. Jim Miller

Why is CNN not reporting the story that Obama stated his plan would bankrupt the coal power plants and cause electricity costs to skyrocket? Neither is NBC, CBS, etc.

November 3, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  4. LS, Austin, Texas

With all the advanced new technology our children will be up against in the future, we need a president who will enforce the education needs for our children, and Obama understands that.

With Obama this country (our children) will benefit from his knowledge and his 'know how', that will have positive results.

With McCain, well, McCain doesn't understand advanced technology. All McCain knows how to do is "win wars". This isn't what I want for my children and I don't think our children want this either.

November 3, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  5. John in AZ

The so-called tightening is just right-leaning independents finally saying McCain is their guy...not Obama losing support. And, equally, it is happening in only a few States, but McCain doesn't need a few States, he needs to run the board.

This really does look like it is over...provided people put their VOTE where their mouths are and VOTE. So don't forget to VOTE!

November 3, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  6. Fed Up

Ayers, Wright, Rezjo, Khalidid, Aunt Obama

By themselves, they are not worth uttering. . . however, together they start to paint a picture that we all must acknowledge.

Questionable judgement, questionable ideology.

You can't just ignore this stuff. And, finally the lying.

Ayers is just a guy living on my street. We know that to be a lie now.

"Khalidi, another guy on my street". Why did Michelled attend his daughters birthday party a few months back?

"Rezko, a guy who sold me a house." For $400,000 less than market value,

Wright, just my advisor for 20 years, but I didn't know he believed thsoe things". So, he advices you spiritually, and with family matters, but I didn't know he hates whites and the usa???

Something stinks about all of this. I hope I am wrong, but, there are many people who have chose to pull the wool over their OWN eyes.

I think they don't want to believe thyat this guy is scamming us. Wait til we find out about the millions and millions Obama has received from pre paid credit cards.

I hope I am wrong, and he does what he says he is going to do. I myself, am becoming concerned.

Oh, ya, and the lie about his Aunt. "I didn't know her status". BS. She had been at you inaguaration, and she has been in contact with you. You are telling me she never said, "hey, can you help me out".

November 3, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  7. Rodger

Last day to a memorial day in American history. All the close states will vote for Obama. The pollsters have greatly under estimated the great numbers that vote (140-150 million) The final vote will give Obama 375-411 electoral votes and he will get 75 million votes aand win with a 10-15% margin.

November 3, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  8. Sue T

The last day to campaign and all McCain can offer is what Obama will do to this country if Obama is elected.......how bad Obama will be for this country, how unready Obama is, nothing about what he can or will do for this country.........he knows more about Obama's policies than his own......and Palin too, just keeps talking about how bad Obama is......With Chaney's indorsement, you can see the kind of Foriegn Policy we will have........same as Bush Chaney.........go to war and then ask questions later............The pick of Palin was what killed his chance at the White House........

November 3, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  9. BOBBY K. FROM BIRMINGHAM, AL.

I'll be voting in the morning!!!!!!

The time is here.Our time is now!!!!!

Obama/Biden 2008

November 3, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  10. j

McCain was born in Panama so is he Constitutionally eligible to become President? It might be a case for the courts.

Obama supporters don't let voter suppression or long lines discourage you from voting, don't take anything for granted, every vote is important. Get out and VOTE!

California voters – Vote NO on Prop 8

November 3, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  11. NotEvenALittleError

The correct way of stating that the poll of polls "has no sampling error" is to say that the poll of polls "has plenty of sampling error, but we haven't got a clue as to what it might be and we don't care because that's, you know, math and stuff and our readers don't understand that junk anyway."

November 3, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  12. Blue By You

Overall, most undecideds seem to be breaking for Obama! Now, GO VOTE FOR CHANGE!

November 3, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  13. Veterans 4 Obama

You heard it here first!

Obama 352
    McCain 186

One day to go!

November 3, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  14. Canadians

Why are they even commenting about this issue? I'm sure 80% of the world finds your accents annoying.

November 3, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  15. Mike in Ireland

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." – MLK

Please vote tomorrow, the world is watching and hoping.

November 3, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  16. Bikll,Ca

NO MORE 4 years of the same.

Palin and McCain are still are liars and are misleading the american people about Obamas tax plan.

The never talk about their own planned spendings.

Nobody knows what they are planning to do – why should anyone buy a cat in the sack.

And don't reward any republican for their 8 years of failed politics. Gey them out of washington.

And McCain has been testet? Where?

Obama / Baden 08

November 3, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  17. Mike in IL

Obama has been running ads in his home state... all of them are negative... The only ads McCain is running are positive

Stop the BS about McCain running a negative campaign...

Instead why don't all of you Obama supporters stop listening to the Media and get educated on your candidate... I know that he did very little for my state and even less in the US Senate... Now he thinks that he is ready to be President???

All of you are making a huge mistake if you elect someone that is one of the most liberal politicians I have seen in my life time!!!

November 3, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  18. barbara

My husband is voting for the first time as a naturalized citizen. He is so honored to vote ofr Barack Obama and Joe Biden!! Yes we Can!
    VOTE – VOTE – VOTE

November 3, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  19. APS in Hawaii

You know, it is amazing how CNN is so slanted towards Obama. During the primaries, you were so pro Obama it was sickening. And now you cannot provide any coverage that can be trusted. You paint Obama's competitors in the worst light while overlooking the dirtiest smear campaign ever from his side. All I have to say if does get elected, it will be the saddest day because his socialist views will haunt the Democrats for years to come. Here we have an inexperienced person running for President and governments overseas are laughing at how arrogant he is and at our process. The news media has been absolutely disgraceful in their coverage of Obama. YOU never once asked Obama any hard questions and made him give a specific plan about anything. For example, why did the fainting at his speeches stop when it was pointed it out it was the same person every time? Did the news media report about it? No, but it is all over the internet. His tax cuts are now down to $125,000, did CNN report about it going down?

I know, I know, this message will go into moderator purgatory.

November 3, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  20. laylow

May GOD help us all,those that want good for sasiady.Listen those two has lots of guts to take this position,being that bush left us in crisis.it s all his fault that were in this position.its going to be hard for whose ever going to become prez.but I feel McCain would be a little more qualified.READ THE SIGNS:OBAMA/BIDEN=OSAMA/BIN-LADEN=ARMAGEDEN.LET US PRAY.

November 3, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  21. theogracias

Wow, this is great news for John McCain, things are really tight. He's the comeback maverick and womanizer for every American.

November 3, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  22. Julie From VA

Please VOTE tomorrow! As I'm sure you can predict, the lines will be long tomorrow but don't give up! Excercise your right as an American and vote for CHANGE!!!! Obama 08!

November 3, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  23. nafa Sid

America has finally woken up. Old GOP cunning deceptions do not work anymore....Obama is the man and good luck to him for the final day……..
    Nafa

November 3, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  24. Ryan

I read these comments on a daily basis and it amazes me how ignorant some of you people are. Obama is a great speaker, a great motivator, but spare me with all of this McCain bashing.

I doubt if the people typing these anti-McCain messages have ever sacrificed anything for this country. It shows how ignorant and biased you are. Grow up and show some respect. If it's fools like you that support Obama, I'll gladly vote for McCain.

November 3, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  25. Bubba

If the votes are fairly counted, he'll take Georgia. Is this stuff about coal companies the new William Ayers? Look, I'd vote a straight ticket of Peruvian Witch Doctors if it would get Bush out of the White House. I don't know what Obama might do, but it wouldn't likely be outright theft and money laundering using a specious war run by Halliburton. Bush and his boy McCain have turned this country over to big business and organized crime. A rhesus monkey would be a better president than GW Bush or McCain, and you might as well elect a moose as elect that dumb knob Palin.

November 3, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |