November 3rd, 2008

Poll: Who would voters be prouder to have as president?

(CNN) - Coming into the home stretch, voters’ views of Barack Obama and John McCain seem relatively locked in place, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Monday.

With just one full day of campaigning left, 59 percent of voters feel Obama is someone who can bring change; roughly the same number say McCain is not. Seventy-seven percent of those surveyed think McCain has the right experience to be president, but voters remain less certain about Obama: Half the country says the Illinois senator has the experience he’d need in the Oval Office, and nearly the same number do not.

Working in Obama’s favor is the perception that he is as strong a leader as McCain: the two are essentially tied, at 64 and 62 percent.

And Obama seems to have an edge on the question of which candidate cares about people: Two-thirds of those polled believe Obama cares about people like them. Fifty-four percent say the same of McCain.

No matter which candidate comes out on top, a majority of voters say they’ll be proud of their new Commander-in-chief: Sixty percent of registered voters surveyed say they would be proud to have Obama as president, and 54 percent feel that way about McCain.

The survey was based on telephone interviews with 1,017 adult Americans, including 950 registered voters and 716 likely voters, conducted October 30-November 1, 2008. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN • John McCain
  1. Reality

This political process is at the threshhold of the beginning of change in this country. I would be honored and proud to call Barak Obama President of the United States. His vision for this country goes beyond the political realm...it taps into the hearts of the people. No matter what your party affiliation, we all have hearts and we all hold things near and dear to them, i.e. our belief systems.

Whatever the outcome tomorrow, It IS God's will and there is nothing any of us can do about it. Put aside your hatred, your fear, your disdain...pray for this COUNTRY and that we get back on the right track safely and effectively, and that the leader put in place tomorrow remains true to the core values of this country and its people, and that God keeps him and his family safe from the harm of hatred, no matter be he white or black.

Obama/Biden – 08

November 3, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  2. Riaz

Now the COAL video.. what else... undecided remain undecided ...

November 3, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  3. Dan, TX

We need to come together after tomorrow. Republicans and democrats need to work together. We will need to find out which democrats and republicans are too partisan and unwilling to compromise. If they go up for election in 2010, they have to be thrown out.

November 3, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  4. phil

Three cheers to - Barak Obama

November 3, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  5. David Ulysses Peay

It feels great again to have a President who inspires all of us to seek what is great and good and noble and generous about America and its democracy! As we work to create as the preamble of the Constitution so aptly put hundreds of years ago, "a more perfect Union", Obama is that President!

November 3, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  6. LyonsPhilly

I am extremely proud of Obama and Buden for running the best campaign I've ever seen. I believe Obama will be our next president and will do a spectacular job. I am ready for change.....

November 3, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  7. A humbled Republican

OBAMA!. I mean the entire world have voiced their opinion loud and clear. Obama draws crowds in the thousands unlike anyone ever in history. McCain only has a nice size audience.

November 3, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  8. Mark

Vote, if you have kudos to you. If you haven't get out and vote, but remeber this before you cast your vote.
    1. How can this country have social programs without raising taxes?
    2. How can we become independent of foregin without investing in natural energy?
    3. How can we blame goverment for the economic situation? Blame corporations that continue to increase profit margins during this economic down turn, instead of lowering their profit margin they raise prices.
    4. Don;t blame goverment for poor banking practices by mortgage investors and poor dedecision by citizens who knew they could not afford the mortgage and bought an over inflated price home.
    5. This country was econonmically great and it will be again. As long as we protect jobs,national security and have a strong investment by citizens.
    6. Social medicine is not good and why is their more lawyers in America than Doctors? We have to stop thinking medical is the all cure for aliments. America needs to get in shape! We have to limit lawsuits and goveren the corporations that run our hospitals. Funny how you being sick puts money in other peoples pocket!

As an American we need to be responisble for our actions and our money and not expect govement to bail us out! Stop thinking the goverment or someone else owes you for things your have not earned. If you want it, work for it, save for it and make the effort to buy it.
    Now get out and vote!

November 3, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  9. Kadenze

Thank you Global Citizen, McCain hurts my ears with all that
    "FIGHT, FIGHT,.."! I just goes to show how he will further divide us,
    and what I don't understand is why don't these supporters cheering him
    on realize THEY will do better under Obama's tax , healthcare plans and let's not talk about Social Security!

At what point, do these supporters realize in all his rehtoric McCain has

NOT told them what he WILL do for them! all he says is he will "reform" washington. McCain says he will stop all spending
    immdiately! That sounds like the same judgement that went into
    "suspending his campaign"!
    McCain spent his campaign slinging mud!

Two candidates for President, Two candidates for VP
    TWO have been investigated, TWO have not!
    It's funny when the two who have been investigated are the two
    questioning others character and judgement!

I would likt to be a fly on the wall the day a McCain supperter realizes
    in some part of their everyday life, whether via a tax/health plan or through the creation of a new job or keeping their home that they actually benefited from Obama's plans.

I understand CHANGE is hard but usually is neccessary so we should keep this in mind barring Obama wins with those will have a hard time with McCain losing.

I am CERTAIN Obama IS the way to go the get this country BACK on track!

Please people VOTE!
    OUR COUNTRY NEEDS THIS!!!
    OBAMA/BIDEN 08

November 3, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  10. Paula

As I have watched this presidential race as I have watched no other, I listened to all candidates. As i listened to McCain and Palin, I felt so disheartened as their negative rhetoric spilled over the ads and news. As a hard working young woman, with a hard working husband trying to raise 3 boys to believe in themselves and treat people as they want to be treated, I truly felt so sad when I listened to McCain and especially Palin. Their words came SO close to racial baiting, it was truly frightening. Obama's rhetoric and speeches, no matter how "eloquent" always made me feel good about life; always made me feel that there is hope for this country that I love so dearly. I would feel so much better with Obama as president compared to McCain.

November 3, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  11. Charles from Atlanta

Obama, of course. This election is ALL about Obama. People either vote for him or vote against him.

November 3, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  12. Suzanne

I feel so blessed and grateful (and Oh so much more Safer) to have Obama as President of the United States.
    Oh, to look forward to hearing him speak! What a change.

Obama is Presidential: brilliant, grounded, calm, diplomatic, clear, authentic, strong and determined, open-minded,and so much more. The list goes on.

Obama is the right person to lead us into this new century, to help us embrace the fact that we are our brother's and this planet's keepers.

This time, we choose sustainability and truth, over lies and dysfunction.

November 3, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  13. Milton, Harrisburg, PA

My earliest political memories were of Watergate. George Bush has brought shame on our country. He claimed that he would protect the constitution but decided to use it as toilet paper instead. When visiting Europe I had to constantly state that I never voted for him (which is true) to avoid the inevitable questions of how Americans could vote for someone so obviously incompetent.

I am a white American but I must admit that race affects my vote. I have a 2 year old child and a 3 month old child and I want them to grow up not only thinking that it is possible for a black American to become President, but that it is nothing extraordinary. The fact that America has gone 232 years without electing anyone other than a white man tells me that America has a ways to go. That we have not fulfilled our promise of being the big "melting pot" and a true democracy will always ring true until we see America's reflection in the highest office. I don't want to hear slogans about the best of America, I want to live it.

November 3, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  14. Naren

Obama, of course. He has been dignified in his campaign, rational in his approach to issues facing our country, and above all,treats his audience as intelligent decision makers. What a contrast to the untruthful tirades of his opponent candidate!

November 3, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  15. HANA

Senator Obama, I am so proud to be here to see the most important election in American presidential voting History and I am praying to God he wins. I will be so proud to call him my president.

November 3, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  16. Virginia

To Lovely in VA: "On Wednesday, I will be able to say for the first time in my adult life, I'm am truly proud of my fellow Americans and this country. "–I hope you are not very old and that you haven't felt this way for a long time. If that is the case, perhaps you would like to live in Cuba, China, Russia.....shall I go on! There is no place on earth to be more proud of than America, and it is scary to think that people will be proud on Wednesday a.m. after the debacle this whole election process has become. God help us all........

November 3, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  17. This is a no brainer

President Barack Hussein Obama!

We've waited a long time Dems!

November 3, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  18. charlotte

President Barack Obama! Vice President Joseph Biden! No contest.

November 3, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  19. Amanda V.

I know, just as well as everyone else, that Barack is going to win. And yes I am sure he will do a marvelous job and hopefully bring the country back to some sort of order. He has quite a mess to clean up after Dubya went and turned everything upside down. But I'm actually getting very tired of hearing about both Barack and McCain. What about those of us who think Nader would be a good president? I mean as long as I can remember he's been running for office. I think everyone is so drawn up into Democrats and Republicans. No offense intended to any of you. I would just like to open the paper one day and find an article about an independent candidate.

November 3, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  20. maria

THERE IS DEFINETELY NO DOUBT IN MY MIND OBAMA IS THE BEST AND QUALIFIED TO BE PRESIDENT.

November 3, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  21. D. H.

There are a few of us oldies still around, and I really don't believe you can grow an economy from the bottom up. We need someone who can cut spending in government. That leaves more for everyone else.
    We need someone who can work with a budget. Obama seems to have an unlimited budget. Most people I talk to are very dissapointed in OBAMA for his huge campaign he has run. JUST LOOK AT ALL THE MONEY THE DEMOCRATS HAVE WASTED!!! It totals enough for make a dent in the deficit, don't you think!! Yest , Electra I would say vote for the candidate that has conducted himself well also. VOTE FOR MCCAIN, because OBAMA IS A SPENDING FREAK. Those people who want to be taxed more should pool together and start donating those billions of dollars they have wasted on a campaign into really helping the poor. If you want to pay higher taxes, just donate that money to someone who needs to make a house payment don't you think???? Really help keep people in their homes instead of paying taxes to the government to do it.

November 3, 2008 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  22. Gil

I think that the kind of leadership we need can be seen in the way the campaigns have been run. McCain taking the low road, sort of the Rove Rd., and Obama taking the high road that showed far more positve qualities I can respect. I do not respect, bush, cheney, Libby, Cunningham, Rove, Di Lay, Delong, Ney, Vitters, Stevens, Mott, Craig or Jefferson these past 8 years of the bush rule!

November 3, 2008 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  23. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

"Being Prouder" of one person or another is not how you select the leader of the free world.

How about someone with good morals and ethics, a superb education, good disposition, good health, steady personality, good background (maybe a traffic ticket or two), a true interest in the job, and a few more things.

This election is not a popularity contest! Look who we got the past eight years!

I can't wait until Wednesday morning! I am so sick of the media!

November 3, 2008 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  24. John

Experience DOESN'T MATTER? Unfortunate that so many gullible people have jumped on the Obama bandwagon....My prediction? In two years, you all will be whining and crying about how crappy President Obama really is....those of us with discerning minds knew it all along.

November 3, 2008 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  25. Sam

McCain has NOTshown the maturity befitting his age or the experience that he so proudly touts...He has not shown the judgement – Palic pick is an example of that. He has NOT shown the strategy or tactic – the way he has run his campaign is an example of that. So he has FAILED in every respect. Obama, on the other hand has done well in all these areas.

November 3, 2008 08:29 am at 8:29 am |