November 3rd, 2008

Poll: Who would voters be prouder to have as president?

(CNN) - Coming into the home stretch, voters’ views of Barack Obama and John McCain seem relatively locked in place, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Monday.

With just one full day of campaigning left, 59 percent of voters feel Obama is someone who can bring change; roughly the same number say McCain is not. Seventy-seven percent of those surveyed think McCain has the right experience to be president, but voters remain less certain about Obama: Half the country says the Illinois senator has the experience he’d need in the Oval Office, and nearly the same number do not.

Working in Obama’s favor is the perception that he is as strong a leader as McCain: the two are essentially tied, at 64 and 62 percent.

And Obama seems to have an edge on the question of which candidate cares about people: Two-thirds of those polled believe Obama cares about people like them. Fifty-four percent say the same of McCain.

No matter which candidate comes out on top, a majority of voters say they’ll be proud of their new Commander-in-chief: Sixty percent of registered voters surveyed say they would be proud to have Obama as president, and 54 percent feel that way about McCain.

The survey was based on telephone interviews with 1,017 adult Americans, including 950 registered voters and 716 likely voters, conducted October 30-November 1, 2008. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN • John McCain
  1. Walt

I certainly would not be proud to have John McCain as President! During this election season, this man has waged about as nasty a campaign as I can remember. He has capitulated to his overwhelming desire to be president and in the process gone back on principles and redefined himself to appeal to the baser instincts of his base. I was not proud to have G.W. Bush as President but I can forgive him more than McCain because I think he was just easily lead and not terribly smart. In McCain's case, despite his claims to the contrary, it has clearly been "Ego first" rather than "Country first".

November 3, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  2. welches, oregon

I am proud to have voted early for Barack Obama, our next President of the United States!

November 3, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  3. Pat in IL

Barack Obama is truly a leader. McCain is a shoot-from-the-hip bully. Which would you rather have for a president? The highest office in the nation needs someone who is intelligent, calm, and thoughtful, and someone who will have as advisors and cabinet members those who are also intelligent and thoughtful...not just a bunch of old political cronies who become "yes men" and have agendas that are not necessarily good for the majority of people. Sound familiar? We just had 8 years of that, and I don't care what measure anyone is using – it not only didn't work, but it hurt our nation terribly.

November 3, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  4. "Real" American in PA

Look at the McCain campaign's tactics, negativity, (barely) coded language, knee-jerk reactions, divisiveness, infighting, and some of the "interesting" choices of staff, surrogates and advisors, and ask yourself if this is how we as Americans want to be led, want to feel about our nation, and want the rest of the world to continue to see us. For me, that's a big "Heck, No!"

November 3, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  5. Sam Benegal

Reluctantly Obama...

I still believe McCain served his country well. He was so Maverick that Kerry was wishing him to be his running mate in 2004.

McCain's choice of Palin as VP who can't tell the responsibilites of a VP (as per Palin, VP is the leader of Senate) cost McCain my Vote...

Like many moderate Republicans who do not support Bush-Cheney policies I would certainly vote for McCain is his running mate is Tom Ridge or Tim Pawlenty or Mike Huckabe or Romney or Fred Thompson or Charlie Christ...

November 3, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  6. JACKED-UP-POLITICS, FLORIDA

I would trust Obama and Michelle with my kids and that says alot!!!! I wouldn't trust McCain and Palin to over see $1.00

November 3, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  7. Tom

I'll be proud – even as a conservative – to call Obama President! I think Republicans have lost their way lately. They've become the party of division spreading hate and inciting fear.

November 3, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  8. Bill in the South

Sen. Obama is the best man for the job...He has been even tempered, smart, and on point with his message...The WORLD wants him to be the POTUS, not just AMERICANS!!! God Bless the U.S. of AAAAA!!!!

November 3, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  9. Michael in Houston

I would love to here Wednesday morning that the new President elect is Barrack Obama. I was one that supported McCain in the beginning but his judgement on issues her ein the last year have just baffled me. First, he let the RNC choose his running mate which was a horible decision. I still say, if McCain wanted to make a statement of equality and choose a female VP, they had much better choices i.e. Kay Bailey Hutchinson here in Texas who is more than qualified to be Commander and Chief if needed. I think the RNC wll have to go back to the drawing table for the next 2 years and revamp thier strategy a little. Thier ideology and message is outdated and no longer will this country be ran by the privilaged few as it has been. The people have spoke in 2006 and are even speaking louder in 2008.

November 3, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  10. Democrats Rule!

You know what bothers me when people say Barack Obama has no experience? The people who don't have experience themselves. No one can have the experience unless they've actually sat in the seat. John McCain and his goon squad can stop that nonsense. They really think the American people are stupider than they are. What a joke. OBAMA/BIDEN '08 to get this country back on track.

November 3, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  11. Cray in NC

I think McCain is probably the stronger leader... Obama is to shady on the issues, he straddles the fence and answers questions based on who he is talking to, not how he actually feels.

Unless, of course, he just doesn't have an opinion, which is possible but I doubt it.

November 3, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  12. Victoria

I have said over and over again to friends and family that if Obama gets elected, I will cry tears of joy. I would be so happy and proud to have such an inspirational and charismatic person in the White House. While McCain deserves respect as a political figure and a human being, I am disgusted with the way America views veterans and soldiers: as if they're better than someone who hasn't fought in a war. Being a POW doesn't mean that you have the experience to be the president, nor does being the elder of the two candidates. Obama has been a much needed symbol of tolerance and hope, something that this country needs and has needed for years. I am a first time voter and a white female who lives in a tiny, redneck town in Indiana. I have volunteered for Obama and gone door to door talking to registered voters (and even being threatened for it) because I believe that Obama getting elected is the most important thing in the whole country right now. Obama is change we can believe in, and a man we can believe in, and I'm begging people to vote for him. Don't give up because you think he's got this- go out and vote. It's so so important. Get Obama elected!

November 3, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  13. Charlie Bradley

I will be so proud to call our next President by the name of President Barack Obama. I am hoping this will break down so many oif the barriers which still exist in this country with racial tenision and predjudice. I have every confidence that Senator Obama will turn this country around economically, socially, and spiriually.

November 3, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  14. Chuck

McCain and Palin's attempts in expressing fear of a Democratic Congress and Presidency is ludicrous.

What do they have to say about the Republican Congress and Presidency that existed during the first six years of the Bush administration? Obvously, there was certainly nothing wrong or fearful with that according to McCain and Palin.

Again, with McCain and Palin and all their surrogates it's the old rhetoric of fearmongoring, attacking, fight, fight, fight, and perpetually spouting negatism.

November 3, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  15. David

To Obama for President, "If Obama was white, he would be double digits ahead". No, If he had a BETTER BACKGROUND he would be double digits ahead.

November 3, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  16. Judy from PA

I just wish Obama had more of a backbone. He seems to flip flop on alot of things, and he can't do that when he is commander in chief. He was against off shore drilling, now for it, flip flopped on accepting public finance. How many contributors to his campaign are like his aunti that is illegal? He is dead set against the war, then picks Joe Biden who voted for the war and would be happy to have Colin Powell on his staff. It goes on and on. But if you question Obama, people get mad. Don't we want to know something about our next President? Why is he getting a free ride?

November 3, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  17. Colleen

The question is- who would you be PROUDER to have as president- obviously it would be the man who gave up years of his life for his country- John McCain.

November 3, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  18. Tony

Finally Americans will be proud to tell people around the world that they are proud to have an intelligent president after the past eight years. The sad part for us in Texas is that we have to take back the village idiot currently residing in the White House.

Go OBAMA/BIDEN!

November 3, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  19. Larry-Detroit, Mi

if you've paid any attention to this race, pride and your choice should be a no-brainer

November 3, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  20. rick

Voting is a sacred right provided to us by our Constitution. Stand all day if you have to.

TAKE BACK THIS COUNTRY FOR EVERYONE.

Nothing will change until we take this country back from the people who seek to divide us as a people.

A house divided cannot stand.

The only thing that will count in the end is the vote totals.

The victory must be overwhelming so Republicans cannot steal another election.

November 3, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  21. joe smith

it's the economy stupid; which one of these candidates has the intestinal fortatude to tell opec " go pound salt", and let the market fix the barrel price at $45.00-$50.00 where it should be, thereby putting millions of dollars back in the hands of the people, instead of some schiek who doesn't need it. we know that is not going to happen, but it must, if the world economies are to have a fighting chance..

November 3, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  22. BC

Thank God for Barak Obama and Joe Biden! May the GOP learn from this and ditch the meaness and insanity of the far right fringe. Let the conservatives form their own Crazy Party with Sarah Palin leading them!

November 3, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  23. Ron from Baltimore

I agree with Electra: We are headed into an era we've never seen before, globally, fiscally, culturally. Experience here is trumped by judgement.

As for being proud of "our" candidate, we can surely take heart in havnig supported an African-American so well and so far. So many of us want to put the racial divide way, way back in our history and leave it there, save for the occasional reminder. Perhaps much as the Germans want to forget the similar elements of their past.

I do think, however, that if Barack Obama wins, the whole world will be so proud of us, and of themselves for "palling" with us. It will be as interesting to observe the world's reactions as to watch our own.

November 3, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  24. Donna Mississippi

OBAMA!!!! for me, He has moved me to have faith again that all people of GOD will stand together and unite for our country AMERICA. I am ashamed of McCain and Palin did you not realize what type of affect your campaign would have on people; the negative, hate, and fear mondering would back fire. I hope you learned your lesson, we all love this country we are just fed up with people like youa nd Palin, Thank GOD one more day!!!!!!!!

November 3, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  25. Ray Fisher

Since both candidates recently voted to give bailout funds to banks so they can spend it at will buying other banks instead of helping the credit markets, I'm not proud of either of them. Wasn't accountability part of the bull they fed us over this bailout stuff promising the money would be accounted for??? Another Washington Fable!!!

November 3, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |