November 3rd, 2008

Poll: Who would voters be prouder to have as president?

(CNN) - Coming into the home stretch, voters’ views of Barack Obama and John McCain seem relatively locked in place, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Monday.

With just one full day of campaigning left, 59 percent of voters feel Obama is someone who can bring change; roughly the same number say McCain is not. Seventy-seven percent of those surveyed think McCain has the right experience to be president, but voters remain less certain about Obama: Half the country says the Illinois senator has the experience he’d need in the Oval Office, and nearly the same number do not.

Working in Obama’s favor is the perception that he is as strong a leader as McCain: the two are essentially tied, at 64 and 62 percent.

And Obama seems to have an edge on the question of which candidate cares about people: Two-thirds of those polled believe Obama cares about people like them. Fifty-four percent say the same of McCain.

No matter which candidate comes out on top, a majority of voters say they’ll be proud of their new Commander-in-chief: Sixty percent of registered voters surveyed say they would be proud to have Obama as president, and 54 percent feel that way about McCain.

The survey was based on telephone interviews with 1,017 adult Americans, including 950 registered voters and 716 likely voters, conducted October 30-November 1, 2008. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN • John McCain
  1. no fear

I agree with the rest of the world.
    Obama

November 3, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  2. manuel

It will be more exciting on my Tours in Forign Countries in presenting myself as American if Obama becomes our President. I will be very Proud to be an American. because of our Intelligent Chief Commander.otherwise I got to get out of America and stay in Canada

November 3, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  3. J. Sully, New York

I'd be very very proud to see Obama as President. In fact, after eight years of listening to W's poor excuses for speeches, what a treat it will be to have an eloquent, intelligent man as President. I see Obama giving fireside speeches on TV and look forward to getting text messages from our next President. He'll bring modern technology to the presidency. What a delight the next four or eight years will be with President Obama. I can't wait to send Bush and Cheney packing!! As for McCain, no thanks to "my fellow prisoners" and Palin – her voice sounds like nails across a blackboard. Out with the old and in with the new era.

November 3, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  4. Unreal

It amazes me that people can camp out all night for 12+ hours to buy the latest Playstation game, but cannot wait 6 hours to vote for President.

November 3, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  5. Throw Obama's Aunt Out Today

Immigration laws are a joke-

Here this woman is living on taxpayer money in Public housing and was ordered out of the country 4 years ago-

She's still here and it is not criminal on her part-someone please tell me why we have immigration laws at all?????

November 3, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  6. Eric

Not proud of the liberal, commie Obama. He wants to take freedom away from Americans and doesn't care about the freedom of the oppressed in other countries...what a phony and if he wins God help us all.

November 3, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  7. SW,OHIO

No doubt about it , Senator Obama! He reaches out to people like no other candidate ever has. He has young energy, the fact that he didn't come from a wealthy family, he knows what it is like to live paycheck to paycheck and is very well tempered! He can bring world peace! It would be an honor to have Senator Obama as our President!

November 3, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  8. Dawn Kessler

Jay, how can you say that? Have we been watching the same campaign? Have you not noticed how many times Barack Obama has out and out lied? I will be VERY, VERY afraid if Mr. Obama wins this election and I know for a fact that I am not alone.

November 3, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  9. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

There's good experience and bad experience. McSame's support of pre-emptive military strikes and support for Bush's tax breaks for the rich are BAD experience!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08 AND '12!!!!

November 3, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  10. Elliot

I will proud of either & trust each would do good for USA as well as the world. It will be up to each to maintain that trust with us for the duration serving as president.

November 3, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  11. Obama is for UNITING of the PEOPLE

Francis lawrence November 3rd, 2008 6:15 am ET
    I like to vote for obama because he is a black...................yea...Right WHITE BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 3, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  12. 30-m-PA-voted McCain

McCain. He has a proven record of getting things done and being succesfull while also crossing the aisle. Obama has no such record. I've been voting for the Democrats since 2000, but I can not support Obama especially after the horrific campaign he ran against Clinton and McCain. I truly do not believe Obama should have been our nominee.

PUMA

November 3, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  13. Mrs.Garza

I am so ready for CHANGE. I voted early in Texas and its so awesome to know that I can make a difference with my 1 vote! I cant wait to see that Obama will be the President of the US. It warms my heart.

November 3, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  14. Lana

What about INTELLIGENCE??? American needs to choose the smarter man not the one riding on his wife's billions.

November 3, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  15. Nick

Obama's got it in the bag. He had it there over a year ago.

This really isn't going to be a contest. More like an affirmation.

Obama 2008.

November 3, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  16. mms

I could never vote for McCain/Palin ,so go Obama/Biden 08!!

November 3, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  17. xiaxia

Both are good men. But Obama represents hope and a better future!

November 3, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  18. Jon151

LEE L. MERCER JR. has my vote!. look him up people, get in the know.

November 3, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  19. Chipster

Sen. Obama is not and does not claim to be perfect. He's young but he has shown amazing poise, wisdom, and patience. I supported Sen. Clinton initially but, the more I learn about this young man, the more impressed I am with him.

Our nation is in deep trouble. We must restore our International reputation and integrity. We must allow businesses to flourish but that does not mean opening the national treasury to them. We must have leadership that understands and cherishes the constitutional protections and oversight responsibilities that keep us safe from governmental abuse of power.

We need Sen. Obama if we ever hope to turn from the greed, abuse, and cronyism of the past 8 years.

November 3, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  20. Margaret

I wouldn't be ashamed of McCain, he's just more of the same. I would be PROUD to have Barack as MY president. He represents me. He values education and diplomacy. I think he represents more of us than most people realize. I think he's as good a politician as we are likely to see in a lifetime.

November 3, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  21. SGT MOM

The time for talk is at an end. It's tiime to seal the deal. We must all
    work together and help each other to get through those long voting lines!
    I, for one, am bringing a folding chair with me to the polls. Even though I
    probably won't need it, someone else may. I encourage everyone to
    think ahead and be prepared. Bring some energy snacks or a thermos
    of hot coffee with you to share. If you don't work dayshift, plan on voting
    mid-morning or mid-afternoon so day workers can cast their votes
    before work or on their lunch break.
    Tuesday is our one great chance to show Washington, the world,
    our allies and our enemies just what "We the People" are all about.

November 3, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  22. alvino

McCain says he has been tested, and it shows. He got a "D-" with his choice of vice president, and and "F" for his handling the economic mess. Obama will make an excellent president.

November 3, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  23. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

WOW OBAMA SUPPORTERS I READ YOUR COMMENTS MAINLY (blaising comments) AND ITS AMAZING HOW YOU LOOK AT OBAMA AS SOMEONE TO BE PROUD OF AND IGNORE WHO THIS MAN REALLY IS.

HOW CAN YOU IGNORE WHO OBAMA REALLY IS??????????

NOTHING HE HAS EVER DONE IN HIS PAST BOTHERS YOU.

YOUR SO BLIND TO HIM AND SOAK UP EVERY WORD OF HE SPEECHES AS IF THEY ARE TRUE.

THE OBAMA SUPPORTERS ARE GOING TO FEEL LIKE SUCH FOOLS IF OBAMA WINS ABOUT 6 MONTHS AFTER HE TAKES POWER.

GOOD LUCK ALL AMERCANS ARE GOING TO NEED IT!!!!!!!!!!!

November 3, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  24. Independent Voter

With all due respect, it's obvious that the person showing the temperament – Senator Obama. For the first time in eight years, I'd be honored to call him our next President. It's about time that we put meaning into the word United in United States again.

Obama/Biden '08

November 3, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  25. justobserve

President Obama should make Americans prouder because he represents what we boasted about Americans and our democracy: hard workers despite obstacles, intelligent and always reach for our highest potentials, fairness after a long history of racism and free. A foreigner said it best "We will see if America does what she said she is". McCain and especially the provincial Palin exposed what is worse of our nature when they used one group of people against the others. McCain-2008 and Palin: a double fraudulent act that even McCain-2000 would NOT approve of.

November 3, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |