November 3rd, 2008

Poll: Who would voters be prouder to have as president?

(CNN) - Coming into the home stretch, voters’ views of Barack Obama and John McCain seem relatively locked in place, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Monday.

With just one full day of campaigning left, 59 percent of voters feel Obama is someone who can bring change; roughly the same number say McCain is not. Seventy-seven percent of those surveyed think McCain has the right experience to be president, but voters remain less certain about Obama: Half the country says the Illinois senator has the experience he’d need in the Oval Office, and nearly the same number do not.

Working in Obama’s favor is the perception that he is as strong a leader as McCain: the two are essentially tied, at 64 and 62 percent.

And Obama seems to have an edge on the question of which candidate cares about people: Two-thirds of those polled believe Obama cares about people like them. Fifty-four percent say the same of McCain.

No matter which candidate comes out on top, a majority of voters say they’ll be proud of their new Commander-in-chief: Sixty percent of registered voters surveyed say they would be proud to have Obama as president, and 54 percent feel that way about McCain.

The survey was based on telephone interviews with 1,017 adult Americans, including 950 registered voters and 716 likely voters, conducted October 30-November 1, 2008. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN • John McCain
  1. K-Dub 4 Obama

4 The first time in my adult life...

I can be proud of a president. Someone who represents me and inspires me.

November 3, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  2. Dave - GA

Barack will give the appearance that we as a country, "practice what we preach". We've bombed countries with the perception that we are liberating or introducing the world to democracy all the while we hit non-violent protestors with fire hoses (hypocritical at best). Now maybe the time and opportunity has come to put all this behind us.

November 3, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  3. Jim Schimmer

Please Vote tomorrow people! No matter how long the lines are, we have to elect Barack as our President!

Please vote!

YOUNG PEOPL! – PLEASE GO VOTE! YOU HAVE TO!!

November 3, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  4. Marie Banderas in TEXAS

ELECTRA:
    I agree..no canidate truly has expierience until he gets in office and finds out what is REALLY going on..Obama though has surrounded himself with expierienced, knowledgible heads to help and advise him when needed, and that shows GOOD judgement, so OBAMA has got our votes here in TEXAS...
    white, senior independents for OBAMA

November 3, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  5. suzc

I would be proud with an Obama president. He is thoughtful, intelligent, pragmatic. He has an understanding of the world. He isn't that far from his lean economic days.

I would be as proud of a McCain as I am of Bush. None. They have raped their own country as well as the countries of others, with abandon and without repentance. As has Kill and Drill Palin, apparently. If he wins, I'm seriously looking at Canada, as I don't want to watch any more of the death throes of the Republic.

November 3, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  6. KLEE

While everyone's not looking:

Bush is busy:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – As the U.S. presidential candidates sprint toward the finish line, the Bush administration is also sprinting to enact environmental policy changes before leaving power.

Whether it's getting wolves off the Endangered Species List, allowing power plants to operate near national parks, loosening regulations for factory farm waste or making it easier for mountaintop coal-mining operations, these proposed changes have found little favor with environmental groups.

The one change most environmentalists want, a mandatory program to cut climate-warming greenhouse gas emissions, is not among these so-called "midnight regulations."

November 3, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  7. Really

I would be very disappointed to have Obama as my president. He does not represent my views at all. It will be 4 misearable years. I would want someone more in the middle. Obama is too leftists/liberal for me.

November 3, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  8. BJ in NC

I specifically will feel proud to say that Barack Obama is my president and have looked at it that way since he won me over from being a Hillary Clinton supporter. Deep down, we all know who will be better all the way around for the country. This man has fought a constant battle for two years to win this office. He has the grit, determinination, brains, and understanding as we have never seen before. I have spent my adult life voting for the candidate that I felt would be better and has the country's best interest at heart, whether they won or lost, and none have made me feel that my vote was as worthwhile as this one. Evidently, there are so many others who feel the same as I do because they felt the need to get up and get involved in THIS ELECTION,THIS YEAR. As my mother told me over and over growing up, actions speak louder than words.

November 3, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  9. Vindicated?? I don't think so...

I'll be forthright with you I believe the American voters who are supporting Barack Obama don't have a clue what they're doing, as evidenced by the fact that not one of them – NOT ONE of them I've spoken to can spell out his qualifications. Not even the most liberal media can explain why he should be elected. Political experience? Negligible. Foreign relations? Non-existent. Achievements? Name one. Someone who wants to unite the country? If you haven't read his wife's thesis from Princeton , look it up on the web. This is who's lining up to be our next First Lady? The only thing I can glean from Obama's constant harping about change is that we're in for a lot of new taxes.

November 3, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  10. President Barack Obama

MAKE SURE YOU VOTE FOR THE CHANGE WE NEED!!!!!

Obama/Biden08!!!

November 3, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  11. JamOne

Electra you are right on the monSeney regarding the experience agrument, only ex-presidents have the experience to be POTUS and they are ineligible to run.
    Sen. McCain knew from March that he would be his party's nominee, Sen. Obama had to wait until June. Still with less time than Sen. McCain, Sen. Obama made his first executive decision calmly, enlisted the aid of sensible people and chose a good VP candidate. Sen. McCain with twice as much time seems to have procrastinated on his first executive decision until the last minute, then chose arguably the worst VP candidate ever. A self-described "lipsticked Pit bull" who suffers from a Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Sen. Obama may not have the years Sen. McCain has, but I will take Sen. Obama's approach to problem solving any day.

November 3, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  12. T. Nelson

I would be extremely proud to have Senator Obama as President of the United States. This is a man that truly cares about people. American needs a change! Lets enjoy this most historical time in American. I love my country! Thank you God!

November 3, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  13. Jeff Brown

I am a middle aged white man who will vote for Obama and I am very proud of it!

November 3, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  14. Vicki, CA

As a Babyboomer, I have witnessed history. I have witnessed Camelot with Kennedy; I have witnessed the first man on the moon; I have witnessed the dream with King; I have stopped a war; I have lived by Bob Dylan's lyrics: "The Times They Are A-Changing"; And, yes they are, yes we can! I will now witness the full circle of all the efforts mentioned above, as I witness Barack Obama become our President. I am so proud to be an Americian!

November 3, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  15. A.E

NO DOUBT OBAMA.

My friends, My friends ,My friends,My friends.

McCain you are a joke.

November 3, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  16. GA voter 08

I would be more proud to have Obama than Mr. Mccain. Although in the past I voted republican I can not do that again. Mr. McCain in my view sold his sole to his party. He is a different man than the real John McCain. I wanted to see more of that John McCain then the one I see now. Maybe in 2012, if the GOP can get itself together I will vote republican again.

November 3, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  17. maverickalltheway

John McCain by a landslide.

Communist/socialism and marxism doesn't make me proud.

November 3, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  18. VCC

Electra – here! here!

November 3, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  19. suzc

PS One more thing about Obama. Yesterday, when a few folks started to Boo the opposition, Obama instantly said "We don't need boo's; we need votes." The second time it happened, he again immediately said, "We don't need boos... what do we need?" and the crowd yelled, Votes! It shut down the disrespect and focused on the message.

That is a CLEAR DISTINCTION in leadership styles between ACTUAL leadership and the rabble-rousing riot-inciting campaign sadly being run by McCain (beginning with his stupidly ill-fated Palin choice) as though Republicans could not win on their own merit!

November 3, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  20. Breana

I hope and pray America will have a president for the people and not for his political esteem....Obama is the one.....with God's help Obama will help America get out of this crunch we are in....forget the negative campaigning and get to what can be done about getting America out of the DEPRESSION we are in.....PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA!!!!!

November 3, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  21. McCain 2008

I would be proud to have McCain as our president.

Obama on the other hand, is like the flavor of the month. Say anything to get elected, but look good doing it. All talk and no substance. Reminds me of disco, lots of flash and fun for a year and then something people make fun of.

November 3, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  22. ronse

Americans no matter the party you belong to ,your choice will save the world from the last eight years.So think well and elect well.Elect OBAMA/BIDENS ticket.From Uganda

November 3, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  23. Joy

Definitely Mr. Handsome.....Barack Obama!!

November 3, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  24. Dawn Kessler

It's funny that my pro-McCain posts are not making it through the "screening" process. Apparently, CNN finds pro-McCain statements not appropriate for posting.

November 3, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  25. Ariko Joseph David

It is time for America to show the entier word that it is truely the world power. If Obama is not voted becouse of his colour, then God judgement awaits USA, for its clear that Obama should have the whitehouse ticket.

November 3, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |