November 3rd, 2008

Poll: Who would voters be prouder to have as president?

(CNN) - Coming into the home stretch, voters’ views of Barack Obama and John McCain seem relatively locked in place, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Monday.

With just one full day of campaigning left, 59 percent of voters feel Obama is someone who can bring change; roughly the same number say McCain is not. Seventy-seven percent of those surveyed think McCain has the right experience to be president, but voters remain less certain about Obama: Half the country says the Illinois senator has the experience he’d need in the Oval Office, and nearly the same number do not.

Working in Obama’s favor is the perception that he is as strong a leader as McCain: the two are essentially tied, at 64 and 62 percent.

And Obama seems to have an edge on the question of which candidate cares about people: Two-thirds of those polled believe Obama cares about people like them. Fifty-four percent say the same of McCain.

No matter which candidate comes out on top, a majority of voters say they’ll be proud of their new Commander-in-chief: Sixty percent of registered voters surveyed say they would be proud to have Obama as president, and 54 percent feel that way about McCain.

The survey was based on telephone interviews with 1,017 adult Americans, including 950 registered voters and 716 likely voters, conducted October 30-November 1, 2008. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN • John McCain
  1. BM

Palin has already demostrated how she is above the law. She is set on dividing the country, simply because she believes America should be separated.McCain does not have the temperament to be commander in chief. He has been in the senate all these years and hasn't done anything worthwhile.

November 3, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  2. David, Silver Spring, MD

I didn't know a whole lot about John McCain before this election cycle. I knew the press liked him and wrote a lot of favorable articles about his integrity and honesty, etc.

Then the campaign started. First I learned that he'd said some crazy things about taxes (lower taxes means more tax revenue! In other words, a tax rate of .000001% should bring in near infinite revenue?). This made me realize he was another trickle-down believer. Bad mark.

But the thing that really turned me against him is the way he's run his campaign. He's been belligerent, he misrepresents Obama's positions, he's made a crazy Rovian pick of VP, and he's basically shown that he'll do and say whatever he needs to to win.

So, yes, I'd be proud to have Obama as president; and I'd be very ashamed to have McCain as president.

November 3, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  3. Surrealist

None of the above-I see is not a category. Wonder what those results might be?

November 3, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  4. Kevin

I would be most proud to have Senator McCain as president. He clearly understands and is responsive to the average "Joe." I would much rather have McCain because he is clearly the better speaker of the two and he would do more to fix the wounded image of the United States abroad. And John McCain would do better on the economy and taxes. Senator Obama is a socialist.

Wow. I tried repeating the Republican spin and I didn't even find myself credible when I typed it.

OBAMA/BIDEN, 2008

November 3, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  5. Debra, NY

A President Obama would send a message to the world that America has finally grown up and out of it's past. It would also show how the American people have the power, through their democratic syatem, to change the course of their country's policies...something that is still only a dream in most parts of this world.

Get to the polls, know your rights, and stay in line!

Obama/Biden '08

November 3, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  6. fretta VA

I will be honored to have Obama as president

November 3, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  7. Don

Just like in 1980, we are coming through a period when our national standing was suffering on the world stage. Obama represents the opportunity to restore the country's image in ways McCain with his divisiveness and bravado does not.

November 3, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  8. Rich

Obama. I will be once again embarrased like I was for the last 8 years in McCain and Palin get in. So lets not let them screw it up...VOTE

November 3, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  9. one american

I want to say that i am proud of the majority of american people being able to look past skin color when selecting a leader. The american worker has made this country what it is today, and it is a dream come true to see a leader who is truly concerned about what is best for ALL OF AMERICANS. go Obama 2008 and god bless

November 3, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  10. Betty, Virginia

Obama will make us proud both home and abroad!

November 3, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  11. Delisa Kyerefo

He has been choosen to lead this great country, not just by the people, but God first. He's chosen....Obama/Biden '08'

November 3, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  12. donte u.s. army

It will be a proud day for all americans when the obama/biden ticket wins this election. Our fine country will be back on the road to respect from our neighbors and prosperity for all americans who are willing to fight for change in their lives. God bless our USA!

November 3, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  13. Beth from Virginia

Obama! He has the vision. He has the intellect. And he brings this whole country the hope for a new day!

November 3, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  14. Noah

Social Security, Medicare and payroll taxes are not income taxes. That is the worst argument I have ever heard. You will get social security back once you reach 67. You will also have access to medicare. Paying into those taxes is not the same as paying INCOME TAXES!! WOW talk about uninformed

November 3, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  15. Alex S.

I have voted on both sides of the aisles, even for Ross Perot once.
    I was contemplating Barr, but this is too big an election to toss it like that.
    Even Bob Barr said McCain isn't ideal for us and conceded the win to Obama. I hope and I pray Obama wins, we do need a new direction.

It'll also be EXTREMELY refreshing to have a person in the White House that can actually speak fluent English.

We do not need a comedian or someone that'll rub the shoulders of other world leaders while the cameras are rolling.
    This isn't a bar nor a party.

Mr. Obama, I wish you and your family all the best as well as Joe Biden and his.

Voting for Obama.

November 3, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  16. cnn junkie

ladies and gents,in 24hrs i present hte next POTUS,sen BARACK OBAMA!

November 3, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  17. Annoyed

OBAMA IS MY PRESIDENT NO MATTER WHAT.

CARIBOU BARBIE AND GRANDPA KEN JUST AINT CUTTING IT

GOOOOO OBAMA 08/12

November 3, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  18. Obama is a questionable candidate

I don't agree with John McCain on everything – but I am utterly convinced that he is qualified to be our next President, and I trust him to do what's right. I know in my heart that he has the best interests of our country in mind. He doesn't simply want to be President – he wants to lead America, and there's a huge difference. Factually, there is simply no comparison between the two candidates. A man of questionable background and motives who prattles on about change, can't hold a candle to a man who has devoted his life in public service to this nation, retiring from the Navy in 1981 and elected to the Senate in 1982.

November 3, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  19. Lucy

I'm incredulous. At this point, unless there is something really wrong with the general American population, they must, by simple logic choose change. McCain at best, has never spoken consistently about the issues, he's gotten into name-calling and the only thing he and McMoosie have consistently done is throw the kitchen sink at him. Do you want someone who cannot string 2 ideas together, and won't let his running mate speak for herself (she's vapid), or do you want to get up in the morning and be part of helping to change the world. I believe Obama can.

O/B '08

November 3, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  20. latina for Obama

Obama is the hope and change that thiscountry needs so much. People are so caught up on either race or what their ticket is, or just caught up in all the hype that they forgot what this country stands for.
    We all want the same thing, we want to live in peace , and to feel safe again a better future for us and our children. That opportunity is staring us right in the face with OBAMA, yet so many of you are choosing to put a blind eye to it all. It is a real sad shame. GOD bless us.
    Please vote and do it with good intentions and with dignity
    OUR COUNTRY DEEPENDS ON IT

OBAMA/ BIDEN

November 3, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  21. Dana Knight

Without a doubt I would be proud to have Barack Obama as my President. McCain is nothing more than a war mongler!

November 3, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  22. bailey in Ohio

Please everyone vote. But remember when you vote there is a one in six chance that Sarah Palin could be president if McCain is elected. Would you appoint her CEO of the largest company in the world? I don't think so.

November 3, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  23. sharon,ny

In less than 48 hours it will all be over. McCain can go back to Arizona and do what he does best, which no one has figured out what his best is, and, Palin can go back to Alaska and put on her lipstick and take down a moose with a hockey stick!

November 3, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  24. THE US OF WHAT?

OBAMA/BIDEN

WOULD NEVER WANT PAILN NEAR THE WHITE HOUSE EVER EVER EVER EVER!

November 3, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  25. Robin in SC

After the debacle of W for 8 years, Obama will be respected worldwide instead of ridiculed.

November 3, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |