November 3rd, 2008

Poll: Who would voters be prouder to have as president?

(CNN) - Coming into the home stretch, voters’ views of Barack Obama and John McCain seem relatively locked in place, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Monday.

With just one full day of campaigning left, 59 percent of voters feel Obama is someone who can bring change; roughly the same number say McCain is not. Seventy-seven percent of those surveyed think McCain has the right experience to be president, but voters remain less certain about Obama: Half the country says the Illinois senator has the experience he’d need in the Oval Office, and nearly the same number do not.

Working in Obama’s favor is the perception that he is as strong a leader as McCain: the two are essentially tied, at 64 and 62 percent.

And Obama seems to have an edge on the question of which candidate cares about people: Two-thirds of those polled believe Obama cares about people like them. Fifty-four percent say the same of McCain.

No matter which candidate comes out on top, a majority of voters say they’ll be proud of their new Commander-in-chief: Sixty percent of registered voters surveyed say they would be proud to have Obama as president, and 54 percent feel that way about McCain.

The survey was based on telephone interviews with 1,017 adult Americans, including 950 registered voters and 716 likely voters, conducted October 30-November 1, 2008. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN • John McCain
  1. OBAMA 4 PRESIDENT

Ya kno, I'm always thinking to myself, as much as I would like to disspell the racial factor, that if Barack was white, he'd be in a double digit lead across the board! It really bothers me and has me extremely anxious that people are still playing the skin game as opposed to paying attention to the issues. Clearly, Barack has our best interests at heart. It appears that McCain has done a good job at finding the right things to say to these people (borderline racists) to get them to vote for him, aside from the Republican wing nuggets.

He says things like Obama is "spreading the wealth." ARE YOU SERIOUS?? Why the hell do we pay taxes if we're not spreading our own wealth. McCain says he'll keep the Bush income tax cuts. But wait a minute, we still pay into "Social" security, payroll tax, and medicare. So much for that argument!! Then McCain's runningmate plays into the fears of these borderline racists by depicting Obama as an outsider, un-American, non-American, terrorist, socialist using coded language to entice them to vote for the Repub ticket based entirely on fear. Such dirty politics their playing.

November 3, 2008 06:12 am at 6:12 am |
  2. Ruben Villanueva

I would be more proud to say that Obama is MY PRESIDENT and he will bring hope and positive change that is needed in the good ol USA

November 3, 2008 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  3. LW In Texas

Well for me, I think our standing in the world would improve with Barack Obama as the leader of the free world. get out and vote,

November 3, 2008 06:14 am at 6:14 am |
  4. Francis lawrence

I like to vote for obama because he is a black

November 3, 2008 06:15 am at 6:15 am |
  5. Arowobusoye

I strongly belief obama, has the quality ability to carry america to the next level and make new the image of America. Obama 2008.

November 3, 2008 06:18 am at 6:18 am |
  6. blaising

Though their "leadership" numbers may be basically the same, McCain is the only one running who has been found GUILTY of ethics violations.

Oh...and let's not forget his running "soulmate":

The report states: "I find that Governor Sarah Palin Abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act.”

November 3, 2008 06:19 am at 6:19 am |
  7. Lovely in VA

Barack Obama. My friends and I have said for years 'if only we had a voice, someone that knows where we are coming from and what we see for America, someone like us'. Well, here he is and we are not letting him get away, not this time. On Wednesday, I will be able to say for the first time in my adult life, I'm am truly proud of my fellow Americans and this country. We are so much better than this right now. Peace to All.

November 3, 2008 06:20 am at 6:20 am |
  8. jaye

I will be more than proud to call Senator Obama our president!
    John McCain and his vile campaign turned me completely off...and in my opinion, he and Palin have shamed our country and the republican party.

November 3, 2008 06:23 am at 6:23 am |
  9. Sue, NY

McCain has run a dishonorable campaign...not too much pride in that.

November 3, 2008 06:28 am at 6:28 am |
  10. jaye

All this talk about John McCain's experience is complete rubbish!
    What has he done to end the war (even though he says he know show to win wars)? What has he done for the economic crisis (other than that silly suspending his campaign)? What has he done for the energy crisis (other than nothing)? What has he done to bring people together (nothing! Instead he chooses to run the most degrading vulgar campaign in history)?
    He has no answers...only more nasty attacks!
    He has shamed our country.

November 3, 2008 06:30 am at 6:30 am |
  11. Stephanie

I will so proud to call Senator Obama, President Obama. He has unified Americans of all races, ages, faiths into a more peaceful cohesive America. He kept his campaign positive on the message and did not fall into the mud with the Republicans.

November 3, 2008 06:35 am at 6:35 am |
  12. Joyce in Florida

Senator Obama, no question. McCain lost our respect with his nasty and negative campaign. He is one bitter old man.

November 3, 2008 06:35 am at 6:35 am |
  13. Mark, B'ham., Al.

Obama cannot be too smart wanting to destroy the coal industry which supplies half our electricity and is used to make steel. The liberal German Chancelor wanted to shut down the nuclear power plants in Germany within 6 months after getting in office then found out that 60% of the electricity in Germany was from nukes. With the dems we will not have drilling so gas prices will go soaring again and I hope anyone with an electric car does not plan to leave town since you will not be far before you have to spend the night recharging the batteries.

November 3, 2008 06:37 am at 6:37 am |
  14. Laurel

On election day my vote will be cast for Barack Obama; I believe he'll do a better job. While I have a great deal of respect for the service Senator McCain gave our country I don't think he would be a wise choice for President.

November 3, 2008 06:39 am at 6:39 am |
  15. judy

about obama's aunt , i cannot belive he didnot know she was still here , and living on public housing , how does a illeagal person that was ordered by a court of law to leave 4 years ago live free in public housing paid by ( we the tax payers) do this . this is one of the ways our goverment waste money , shouldn't one of our usa citizens like maybe a homeless person be in that apartment instead of an illeagal person .

November 3, 2008 06:40 am at 6:40 am |
  16. Gregg

I will be proud of either candidate. The problem is Palin. I was going to vote Republican for the first time until Palin was picked.

November 3, 2008 06:42 am at 6:42 am |
  17. Dr. Proctor

Obama / Biden. Sarah Palin is unqualified to be President, which is
    the job of Vice President.

November 3, 2008 06:42 am at 6:42 am |
  18. 70 year old senior

I hoe Senator Obama becomes our president,I'm scared about what McCain will do to medicare and that Obama will keep his promise. McCain will be status quo of Bush.McCain's vice president scare me with her inticing of fear.Joe Biden is someone that have lived a life helping and the seniors .When you travel all those years everynight to go home to your family in Delaware rather than put his career first you just have to admire his family values,I have gotten to feel for myself the person Obama is and I see him as a good and decent man.I will take my chance on change rather to go for another four years with McCain/Bush

November 3, 2008 06:43 am at 6:43 am |
  19. Drew in TEXAS

Barack Obama makes me Proud and HE isn't yet the president!!!

November 3, 2008 06:43 am at 6:43 am |
  20. Rick Douglas

With an Obama presidency, democratic congress and a democratic senate we can surely expect our political landscape to change. There will be no vetoes or possibly no fillibustering (if senate super majority) to create balance. With the most liberal senator now steering our democracy, combined with a dysfunctional congress (as evidenced during the past 2 years), this has the high potential of creating a total lack of representation for nearly 50% of the electorate. I fear that my beloved country will be forcing me to live with "taxation without representation".

November 3, 2008 06:44 am at 6:44 am |
  21. Karl

Jaye, you said it perfectly. Thank you.

November 3, 2008 06:44 am at 6:44 am |
  22. Karen

Bring a book, bring a thermos with a hot drink, bring a blanket, bring a sandwhich, bring something to sit an and bring your patience, the lines may be long but the goal is in site.

Obama/Biden 08

November 3, 2008 06:45 am at 6:45 am |
  23. ann

Obama- inspires me to be a better person....to do the right thing -Just think if this would catch on..
    Proud supporter of Obama Biden!

November 3, 2008 06:45 am at 6:45 am |
  24. bj

I will be prouder to have Obama as president. I think he will restore respect of America to the rest of the world. I think he will listen to the right people and make the best decisions. If McCain was president, I would be worried all the time that something might happen to him and we would end up with the disaster of having Palin as president. What a nightmare.

November 3, 2008 06:46 am at 6:46 am |
  25. AUC

This is a "no brainer"........Senator Barack Obama is the only choice to unify this country. Look at the composition of the people in the rallies -diversity vs. a segegated past. We are a better nation that what we've experienced these last eight years. Please VOTE OBAMA for our future!!!!!!

Obama/Biden 08/12