November 3rd, 2008

Poll: Who would voters be prouder to have as president?

(CNN) - Coming into the home stretch, voters’ views of Barack Obama and John McCain seem relatively locked in place, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Monday.

With just one full day of campaigning left, 59 percent of voters feel Obama is someone who can bring change; roughly the same number say McCain is not. Seventy-seven percent of those surveyed think McCain has the right experience to be president, but voters remain less certain about Obama: Half the country says the Illinois senator has the experience he’d need in the Oval Office, and nearly the same number do not.

Working in Obama’s favor is the perception that he is as strong a leader as McCain: the two are essentially tied, at 64 and 62 percent.

And Obama seems to have an edge on the question of which candidate cares about people: Two-thirds of those polled believe Obama cares about people like them. Fifty-four percent say the same of McCain.

No matter which candidate comes out on top, a majority of voters say they’ll be proud of their new Commander-in-chief: Sixty percent of registered voters surveyed say they would be proud to have Obama as president, and 54 percent feel that way about McCain.

The survey was based on telephone interviews with 1,017 adult Americans, including 950 registered voters and 716 likely voters, conducted October 30-November 1, 2008. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN • John McCain
  1. Rob

I've been ashamed for eight years. On Tuesday, change is coming and I can proudly hold my head high once again. President Obama will be a breath of fresh air after this debacle. We can start working towards shoring up our global image, turning around the economy, cleaning up the Iraq mess, deal appropriately with Afghanistan and Pakistan, find renewable energy solutions, and a host of other matters that have been bungled or ignored for too long.

Should we be so unfortunate as to have McCain win, no, I would not be proud. McCain was proud of voting with Bush over 90% of the time, which means McCain was wrong over 90% of the time. Look around and see where that got us. More of the same, we simply cannot afford it.

November 3, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  2. Attorney in FL

NEITHER ONE!

I'd prefer to have Hillary Clinton, actually. McCain and Obama are a joke.

November 3, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  3. Karen - Tired of McCain and Bush Administration

Personally I think Obama would make a better President simply because he's willing to here other people out and will cross party lines to get things done. Also world leaders have lost respect for the United States and I don't think they would be willing to work with McCain. Already you have world leaders speaking out that they are willing to work with Obama.

The United States (WE) think were can bully other countries. The same way we love this country why on earth do we think people from other countries don't love the country in the same manner. Every country don't want democracy and we shouldn't push our ideas on that country. We all have to respect they others are willing to live and concentrate on fixing the United States.

I'm looking forward to Obama being President. Let's all get out and vote to make that happen.

Obama/Biden '08

November 3, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  4. Winnie Hussein.... in Montana

The only candidate I will be proud to call Mr. President is Sen. Obama. Sen. McCain has run the most disgusting campaign I have ever seen and his pick of Sarah Palin demonstrates his desperation to win for the sake of winning. Sen. McCain has done nothing to convince me that he wants to be President for any reason other than selfishness. I would not be proud to have Cindy McCain as first lady, either.

When 80% of the world would like to see Sen. Obama and his progressive, people first policies win the White House, I don't think anyone could be proud to elect McCain. Instead, I would apologize to all of those other nations who look to us to lead.

November 3, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  5. McCain- A patriot

Here's a question – 'Where were you five and a half years ago? Around Christmas, 2002. You've had five or six birthdays in that time. My son has grown from a sixth grade child to a high school graduate. Five and a half years is a good chunk of time. About 2,000 days. 2,000 nights of sleep. 6,000 meals, give or take.'

John McCain spent that amount of time, from 1967 to 1973, in a North Vietnamese prisoner-of-war camp.

When offered early release, he refused it. He considered this offer to be a public relations stunt by his captors, and insisted that those held longer than he should be released first. Did you get that part? He was offered his freedom, and he turned it down. A regimen of beatings and torture began.

Do you possess such strength of character? Locked in a filthy cell in a foreign country, would you turn down your own freedom in favor of your fellow man? I submit that's a quality of character that is rarely found, and for me, this singular act defines John McCain.

November 3, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  6. Christina

I would be more proud to say Obama is my president than McCain. I think it is sad that McCain had to revert to trying to smear Obama because he is in the lead. Guess not all of us can loose with dignity. I am in a biracial relationship and both of us feel McCain is stiring up old feelings of HATE and RACISM within our country. He is putting a divide among American's rather than uniting us as one country. It's just really sad.

November 3, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  7. BM

I would just like to know why McCain/Palin rallies are not diversed? This tells you what kind of leadership these two candidates will do for the country.

November 3, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  8. usualone

Mr. McCain does not have the temperament to be President. He stated the othe day, he is "an American." Because so many of us differ from his thinking, does that make us less Americans??? He should apologize to the American people for his dirty, soundbite campaign, especially since he said he would not run that type of campaign. He may have been "tested" but he has never been "tested" as President of the U.S. How could he be negotiating with world leaders and gain anything if he always looks like he is going to explode. His snide comments confirm that opinion. If Mr. McCain loses, one can only hope his type of negative campaigning goes away. Wouldn't that be wonderful.

November 3, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  9. unvme

Its plain and simple america,its time for a change. If mccain gets ill or something would you like to have inexperienced Palin in office not!!!!!!

November 3, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  10. jaqbqik

For the first time in a long time, I'm voting for the man I want to be president (not just voting lesser of two evils). I have complete faith that Barack Obama will be an excellent president, perhaps a great president given the opportunity. I will be proud to say that he is my president.

If it goes the other way I won't threaten to move, as I will still love this country, but I'll have to dust off the phrase I've had for the last 8 years: It's not my fault. I didn't vote for him.

November 3, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  11. Iamthepan

I couldn't agree with lovely in va more. That is why when Barack Obama says that his faith in the american people has been vindicated, he is right on the money. Finally someone understands our plight. During the past 8 years our voice has been silenced, it is good to be heard! God Bless America!!!! The true patriots are now speaking, not the fake ones that hold money as their God.

November 3, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  12. G. Robinson

OBAMA of course!!!!

November 3, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  13. Jim Marler

My many years of experience(35 years) in Human Resource Management has taught me that one of the essential skills is how to pick a top CEO. One that is honest, has moral judgement, right technical and educational skills, treats his fellow man properly

I have absolutely not hesitation voting for Obama.

Jim Marler

November 3, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  14. j

I'd prefer Obama. I think McCain is so 20th century and not forward thinking enough. My main concern right now is voter suppression. Can the United States hold a national election where all voters can participate? It doesn't look that way.

November 3, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  15. Karen - Tired of McCain and Bush Administration

Personally I think Obama would make a better President simply because he's willing to hear other people out and will cross party lines to get things done. Also world leaders have lost respect for the United States and I don't think they would be willing to work with McCain. Already you have world leaders speaking out that they are willing to work with Obama.

The United States think we can bully other countries. The same way we love this country why on earth don't we think people from other countries love their country in the same manner. Every country don't want democracy and we shouldn't push our ideas on that country. We all have to respect the way others are willing to live and concentrate on fixing the United States and getting back the respect we so deserve.

Obama/Biden '08

November 3, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  16. PHYLON DUBE

CAN WE REALLY PROUDLY SAY 'FOUR MORE YEARS' BECAUSE WE ARE REPUBLICAN NO MATTER WHAT?

WE HAVE NOT SUFFERED ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WE HEAR ABOUT TROUBLES NEXT DOOR, THEY HAVE NOT VISITED US YET. EVERY REPUBLICAN LIKE ME MUST VOTE SENSIBLY, NOT EMOTIONALLY. this is serious stuff, not a football game. How often do we see our top leaders endorsing the opposition? we should ask ourselves why???????????????

November 3, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  17. Bob, NY

I'll be proud to call Obama the first black president.

Not much else to say yet..

November 3, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  18. humble

hi, i'm really happy to see that in america people can decide in what they want for their future. but let bring this to the light:
    it's practically impossible to say that america isn't a reference for the rest of the world. this election, this specific one is a real and final test for the world to see that really american are an example to follow in the world.
    we've been turning on our tv everyday to follow the two campaign to see who is the candidate who will bring real change in us and the world and who is not. failing to elect this man will really be a full proof to us the world that the american never been real, is not real and will never be. their leadership is not real as well. everybody beleives in change. because it create a path for our future.(i'm from DRC)

November 3, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  19. 44th President

Many of us in the US, and certainly around the globe, believe and KNOW that Barack Obama, will make us proud as President. Sen. McCain is a warmonger and has lost any respect that I had for him because of the things he has allowed his campaign to put out there about Obama, especially Gov. Palin. They have adopted the Republican/Karl Rove style tactics, but it will not work this time. They have run a dishonourable campaign and not to mention disorganized. I shall be glad to not have them spewing their vitriol on the TV after tomorrow. Good ridance to Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin.

November 3, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  20. Christine Sherriff

Mr. Obama is in my opinion going to change the course of history that our current administration has hijacked us into which I believe is political degradation and segregation causing divsion of our nation and has kept us from being a viable player in the world.

November 3, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  21. Carol

If Canada could vote we would go for Obama he is the one to trust
    McCain is to old and Palin is to stupid and who wants her to be Vice- President dio not get me wrong I would love to see a woman in the White House, but like I said a woman not Palin.
    When McCain picked her he should have just bend over and kissed his butt good-bye.
    We are rooting for you Obama from Canada
    She is guilty of abusing her power in Alaska, plus if two Canadians can prank her on a phone call and she falls for it that just tells you how dumb she is actually I think that was her last words before she hung up. What a joke they are
    GO OBAMA
    just my opinion

November 3, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  22. Anonymous

The mere thought of the words "President Obama" makes me sick.

He cares only for himself, and will stop at nothing to destroy everything this country has ever stood for.

He is the worst kind of human being-the kind that honestly believes what he's doing is the right thing. He's too ignorant to see otherwise.

November 3, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  23. Daniel Murphy

All Americans/ whole world should go for change. that is Obama.

November 3, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  24. former gop

Palin, who is colossally inept, cost McCain the white house. Actually, McCain cost himself the white house with his first major decision in connection with running the country – choosing Palin.

I wasn't ashamed of the U.S. until Palin.

November 3, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  25. Ken in NC

CNN I said OBAMA at 05:58am and you have posted others but not my response. Why am I not being allowed to post a response?

November 3, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |