November 3rd, 2008

Poll: Who would voters be prouder to have as president?

(CNN) - Coming into the home stretch, voters’ views of Barack Obama and John McCain seem relatively locked in place, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Monday.

With just one full day of campaigning left, 59 percent of voters feel Obama is someone who can bring change; roughly the same number say McCain is not. Seventy-seven percent of those surveyed think McCain has the right experience to be president, but voters remain less certain about Obama: Half the country says the Illinois senator has the experience he’d need in the Oval Office, and nearly the same number do not.

Working in Obama’s favor is the perception that he is as strong a leader as McCain: the two are essentially tied, at 64 and 62 percent.

And Obama seems to have an edge on the question of which candidate cares about people: Two-thirds of those polled believe Obama cares about people like them. Fifty-four percent say the same of McCain.

No matter which candidate comes out on top, a majority of voters say they’ll be proud of their new Commander-in-chief: Sixty percent of registered voters surveyed say they would be proud to have Obama as president, and 54 percent feel that way about McCain.

The survey was based on telephone interviews with 1,017 adult Americans, including 950 registered voters and 716 likely voters, conducted October 30-November 1, 2008. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN • John McCain
  1. Tom - Cary, NC

Obama couldn't lead a gang of sailors into a bar on payday. God help us if he wins on Tuesday – we will be royally flushed.

November 3, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  2. cesar

I am really tired and ready for this election to be over.
    It has been a long to weeks and i will be proud to have Sen Obama as my president.

November 3, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  3. david

I look forward to having Obama as our next president. He will be a president we can all be proud of. I took a close look at Biden's record and he's also someone we can be proud of. The next administration is being handed some enormous problems and the Obama/Biden team is the only one which will be willing to make the changes necessary to get our country back on the right track.

The McCain of 2000 might have been a president we could have been proud of. He sold his soul to the devil in this election. The steady stream of lies or gross distortions of the truth have severely tarnished his honor. It's sad.

As far as Palin, her very first speech at the Republican convention was filled with lies and divisiveness. She belittled Obama for his community organizer experience. After Columbine, we teach our kids not to belittle others and yet she, and Guilliani both engaged in that behavior on a national stage. That's not leadership. It's shameful. Her interviews with Charlie Gibson and Catie Courick uncovered the glaring truth that she has no depth of knowledge once she's off her prepared 'talking points'. The "I can see Alaska from my house" line is representative of her as a whole. She's all fluff and no substance.

Of course the real reason to vote for the Obama/Biden ticket is because they have better policies on the issues which are laid out in detail on the obama web site. I also agree more with their voting records posted on votesmart.com or the us library of congress web sites. Their senate votes match their rhetoric which is often not so for McCain.

November 3, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  4. Michael watching from Canada

The image of the US will be viewed much better if the US elected Obama, the candidate that offers hope, not negativity.

November 3, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  5. John Starnes Tampa Florida

I would be very proud to have the Obama/Biden team leading America out of the Bush/Cheney abyss that the "Mavericks" would only take us deeper into.

November 3, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  6. Terry, Lakeland Florida

running who has been found GUILTY of ethics violations
    ------------
    Which is 100% false. Go away Obama Paid Staffer.

November 3, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  7. Shanti

Finally someone is here who's mind is open enough to listen to the American people and willing to re-connect us around the world. It's here... We just need to vote. Do whatever it takes. VOTE!!!!

November 3, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  8. Duke

Both candidates have great stories. I think Obama is not an idealogue and he possesses intelligence and judgment. I think that he can bridge the gaps between the factions of our country. Worldwide competition is strong and we need to compete as one nation not as a divided nation. I think that Obama offers the best possibility for bringing the country together. I respect McCain alot, but I think his time was 2000 and I think Obama's time is now. I also feel light McCain sold out to the rabid faction of his party and that in the end it will cost him the presidency.

November 3, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  9. Terry, Lakeland Florida

So most people agree Obama lacks the experience.

November 3, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  10. dj

Obama, without question!!!!!!!

November 3, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  11. Tim

Go to Drudge to listen to Obama say that his energy policy will bankrupt the US coal industry and that his policy will also "necessarly" cause a dramatic increase in the cost of energy.

Then go google the story and see if you can find it anywhere on the MSM, including CNN.

November 3, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  12. lol

john mccain is a proven hero, gave a lifetime of service to his country, took political heat for standing his ground on descisions he felt were in the best interest of the U.S., has a record of being non partisan. obama gave a stump speech against the iraq war, voted present over 100 times in the senate(safe votes) to avoid political reprecussions, belonged to a hate filled separatist church for over 2 decades, is "friendly with domestic terrorist, (ayers, doehrne) convicted felons(rezko), taken money from palestinian sympathizers(khalidi), backed by hamas, endorsed by chavez, iranians president, and libyas president. not to mention has a thin resume, and zero experience.

November 3, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  13. McCain?

OBAMA!!!!!! we have to be a better America, not the divisive one John McCain has shown us while running one of the worst campaigns in modern history... if you dont like Obama, you always have Nader and Barr

November 3, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  14. Dan Smith

Mr. Obabma has been more than stately, especially since he has had to listen to the bile being spewed by Palin and McCain. He has taken the proverbial high road while McCain demonstrates that there is life after Bush for the people that want to see the bully mentality of politics. McCain and Palin scare me. I knew that the religeous right had a profound effect on people but did not realize that it goes so unchecked that these zealots can say whatever they want without fear of reprisal. I am extremely hopeful that America's mandate is one that tells people that this divisive name calling and utter obfusation and half truths that are being created by these people will no longer be allowed. I am proud of what Mr. Obama and Mr. Biden have said about the direction America should be looing towards. I don't want that hateful couple called McCain?Palin around after tomorrow. I hope that obsucruity is a relegation for them both and that those liars in their campaigns are held accountable too.

November 3, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  15. Christine Sherriff

Along with my comments...I must say CNN has provided the most unbiased news on the candidates. Thank you for the dedication that you have all shown.

November 3, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  16. Sally Jo

This momma is for Obama! rock the vote. I'm off to help...

November 3, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  17. Dixie AZ

I must amend my previous comments. To quote Palin: "it is not negative campaigning when you call someone out on their record." Let's call her out on out right lies and half truths.

November 3, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  18. Terry, Lakeland Florida

socialist using coded language
    ----------
    There is no code here, Obama tends to lean toward socialism...lets see, over tax, government run everything, everyone the same regardless of how much work they do...yet he's a socialist.

November 3, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  19. dave harlow

I think Obama is an actor, chosen four years ago because of his color and the way he speaks. McCain has his faults, but he is no actor, he is the real deal.

November 3, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  20. Xavier, Saint Louis, Missouri

That's a no brainer . . . OBAMA ALL THE WAY!

YES WE CAN!

November 3, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  21. Al

The McCain and Palin ticket is the clear choice. How can you be so deceived? If you want to see socialism and your hard earned money taken away and given to people who do not want to work then you deserve Obama.

November 3, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  22. Al, NY NY

Only one more day until JM heads back the ranch (or ranches since he owns so many) and the lipstick Fido heads back to the Yukon for Iditerods, moose burgers, and duddly do-right

November 3, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  23. Mike-Woodmont CT

I have been waiting for 8 years for this horrendous disaster to be over. It began with a stolen election in 2000 and continued with a very corrupt election in 2004, hundreds of thousands of needlessly lost lives and damaged psyches later and finally an economic collapse of epic proportions.

I will be very proud to have Senator Barack Obama as our president. His great intellectual curiosity and his immense ability to inspire us will cause the presidency to once again make all of us proud and the United States will regain the respect of the entire world that was squandered by Bush.

November 3, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  24. Maureen

I will be most proud to have Sen. Obama as our President. After his keynote address at the Dem. Nat’l Convention in 2004, I was asked by a friend what I thought and I replied that I had just seen our first African-American President. As President, Sen. Obama will heal our county, as opposed to Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin who preach division and are seemingly dishonest and disreputable from the campaign they’ve run. I look for Gov. Palin to suffer the consequences from her past deeds and actions in her home state, hopefully soon.

November 3, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  25. Pierre Carbonneau

Barack Obama has the fabric of an world leader. I believe he has the potential to inspire the planet just as much as he has done so in the U.S.. He is setting a new standard for politics not only in your country, but all over the world. We are all realizing just how much hope, just like faith, can move mountains.
    Go U.S.A. you are showing the world your best and this canadian is very proud to be your neighbor.

November 3, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |