November 3rd, 2008

Poll: Who would voters be prouder to have as president?

(CNN) - Coming into the home stretch, voters’ views of Barack Obama and John McCain seem relatively locked in place, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Monday.

With just one full day of campaigning left, 59 percent of voters feel Obama is someone who can bring change; roughly the same number say McCain is not. Seventy-seven percent of those surveyed think McCain has the right experience to be president, but voters remain less certain about Obama: Half the country says the Illinois senator has the experience he’d need in the Oval Office, and nearly the same number do not.

Working in Obama’s favor is the perception that he is as strong a leader as McCain: the two are essentially tied, at 64 and 62 percent.

And Obama seems to have an edge on the question of which candidate cares about people: Two-thirds of those polled believe Obama cares about people like them. Fifty-four percent say the same of McCain.

No matter which candidate comes out on top, a majority of voters say they’ll be proud of their new Commander-in-chief: Sixty percent of registered voters surveyed say they would be proud to have Obama as president, and 54 percent feel that way about McCain.

The survey was based on telephone interviews with 1,017 adult Americans, including 950 registered voters and 716 likely voters, conducted October 30-November 1, 2008. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN • John McCain
  1. Trysh in Los Angeles

McCain has the long resume, but its not filled with experience that would make him a good president for ALL....just for those who are already well off or wealthy. Sen. Obama has a shorter resume, but its filled with works that would be good for ALL Americans. Being on the job a long time doesn't mean you can run the company. Obama would be the best thing to happen to this country. If McCain becomes president, I will be convinced that Rev. Wright was actually correct.

November 3, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  2. jm for sc

I would be proud and honored to have Senator Obama as president of the USA. He is indeed a man for all people.

November 3, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  3. Filipina

I will proud and call Senator Obama the President of the USA.

Go Obama and Biden!

YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 3, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  4. Hard Working American for McCain

I will not refer to Obama as the President of this great country. He is not worthy of the position. Obama is full of BS and lies. Why would any normal person with half a brain want him as their President. He is an embarssement to the hard working citizens of this country!

November 3, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  5. Bryan, Bronx

I would be proud to to have a president who is smart, intellectual, highly educated, competent, rational with greal morals. And only one man falls in to all this. Barack Obama.

November 3, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  6. BNG

I would be totally honored and proud of my country if we could all call Barack Obama our next president. I truly believe he is the change we have all been waiting for and I can't wait to see how the world will change as a result of his election!

November 3, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  7. hooverguide

The problem with Senator McCain is Governor Palin. What a shame to throw away his last chance for the office he so desires on a quick fix gimmick. Most women (and men) are smarter and more discerning than the Republican machine gave us credit for.

November 3, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  8. Teach

I can't believe that so many hardworking Americans are voting for Obama. I don't want to share my hard earned money. I want MY children to have it. I don't want my family to go without for the people who choose not to work!

November 3, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  9. JoE-Republican for Democrats

Lets just go out on November 4th and VOTE OBAMA/Biden.

This way we can prove the pundits, and esp the republican base for calling all the names they called Barack Obama.

We are American and lets prove to the world America is NOT RACIST and by voting for Obama will just prove that, MY OPINION.

Sorry McPain, running a dirty campaign does that to you....Retire with dignity and give up.

November 3, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  10. Mark

I would like to see how Obama will bring this country to death.
    Go Obama!!!!!!!!

November 3, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  11. Donald, Toronto

I may not in all honesty agree with Senator Obama on his view with respect to abortion and same sex marriage but owing to the fact that he is a politician (not a pastor, rabbi, priest etc. who ought speak against immorality), his responsibility is to ensure that the constitutional rights of every person is protected. As such, along with his intelliegece, calm demeanor, his economic platform and his willingness for diplomacy/dialogue will make him to be a better president.

November 3, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  12. John in Virginia

McCain's experience consists of failure in school (894 ouf 899), a failure as an aviator (3 crashes; the last of which got him captured), failure to keep his mouth shut while captured (which got him sent home; the ones who wouldn't sing like a bird got killed), failure as a husband to a woman he promised to be with through thick and thin, but when things got thick and she needed him most, he left. Left selfishly for Cindy because of the money he needed to fund his Senate campaign. The rest is 26 years of incompetence and deregulation. Obama's experience is an advanced degree which he earned magna cum laude, experience as a civil rights attorney, experience in academia teaching Constitutional law at a top 5 law school, and State and Federal legislative experience. And yes, he spent time teaching communities self help and how to get things done on their own. So let's knock off this big lie that has surounded Obama this entire campaign season.

November 3, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  13. DJ Vintinner

President Obama!!! McCain has sold his soul to the G.O.P (Government of Puppets) and its truly sad to see. Oh well, Obama is more qualified and definitely more intelligent.(Attended Harvard AND Columbia!!??? Where'd McCain graduate college? How about Palin? Oh yeah she flunked out of 2 COMMUNITY colleges. She's definitely brilliant. Grampy McCain and Souless Sarah need to tuck their demon tails between their legs and saunter back under the rocks from whence they came) McCain says Obama's a socialist? He must be mentally challenged. Any who pays taxes to a government that otherwise does nothing for them(like provide free health care and college) is a victim of socialism. Why should my hard earned money be taken by the Puppets and redistributed throughout society to pay for cops who do nothing more than write tickets for victimless crimes or to pay for roads I will never travel on? Paying federal taxes is the EPITOME of socialism when you really think about it. OBAMA 08

November 3, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  14. Darnell

Are the riots starting tomorrow night, or Wednesday morning?

November 3, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  15. Pamela

IF YOU ARE A CHRISTAIN YOU NEED TO VOTE THE BIBLE. GOD DOES NOT BELIVE IN KILLING BABIES OR DOES HE BELIVE IN SAME SEX MARRIAGES. MCCAIN AND PALIN ARE DOING WHAT IS RIGHT WE WANT TO HANG OUR HEADS HIGH AND SUPPORT OUR TROOPS NOT WAIVE A WHITE FLAG AND BACK DOWN. DO WE WANT TO BRING OUR TROOPS HOME AND SAY WE GIVE UP

November 3, 2008 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  16. Salena

Obama all the way! He is truly an inspiration.

November 3, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  17. Tobi Adetayo ---- Manchester, England

America, the world has been waiting on you for 8 years. Rise again and take your rightful place on the world stage come Nov 4th. Elect Sen "That One" or shall we say Sen "The One" as your next President and make us all proud of you again.

We have been waiting, the world is not the same again, the financial crises threatings even those that have no idea what the fuss is all about. Rise again America, you, the paragon of hope, have fallen into a deep slumber. Arise from your sleep come Tomorrow. Sow the seed of hope in your ballot boxes. That seed be Senator Barack Obama. wow!!! cnt wait....

November 3, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  18. Edith Michigan

It is certainly overtime for change. I don't think anyone wants America to remain as it is and you can't get change doing the same old things, so we need new blood in the White House, not new wine in an old bottle. It is the most disheartening thing to learn that Americans are not liked overseas becuase of the last eight years policies. It is time for us to be able to be proud of being American again. Its time we learned to live together, but it starts at home and we're not doing that very well. I'm sorry, I just don't think McCain-Palin are the ticket to unity and cohesiveness. Diva's don't need other people......

November 3, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  19. jm for sc

Francis lawrence, you must be a white republican because no real black person or democrat would say that. Race can not help this economy. I voted for Obama because he is a smart strong leader and I am thankful and proud because he happens to be black. I voted for Obama, because he selected a strong smart running mate who I love just as much who happens to be white.

Obama/Biden 08

November 3, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  20. Isabel

I voted Republican all my adulthood life. Today, I have changed my vote for Democrat. I am dissapointed with Senator McCain's poor judgement. He had insulted to our party by choosing an unkown politician and a beauty peagant as his running mate. She hasn't earned recognition to deserve my interest less to the entire world. She is no Senator Hillary Clinton. In the other hand, Senator Obama has earned credibility and respect in his state as well as in Congress. I believe that he can make changes for our future. He brings hope to a future generation.

November 3, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  21. Jay

I watched "McCain Revealed" and "Obama Revealed" both on CNN. McCain has life time experience and done a lot for the country. What Obama did was community organizer in Chicago. He has not even done enough for Blacks people. All talks.

November 3, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  22. November 4 it ends.

This is a great day for America.

It is funny to read the comments by the downhearted GOPpers. I mean, really, did you think something else was going to happen after all that you have done to slow down progress in America?

You seem shocked, which is shocking to me. How could you not notice the pain you have caused this country? It almost makes me question either your patriotism or their sanity.

I wish you the best – but try to understand. This is a potentially great change. You don't have tobe afraid.

November 3, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  23. When shall you stop this deception!

Today is the last day before the election and Sarah Palin has not yet had interview with Larry King Live, WHY? Not Qualified to be a VP? Fraud???

– Why are Sen. McCain and his team using Joe the Plumber (a Fraud) to insinuate issues about Obama's Presidency, is it because he is erractic, lacks idea, and trying to defraud voters?
    – Why has Sen. McCain not allowed Sarah Palin as promised alone to do interview with LKL, if she is qualified to be a VP of USA?
    – Why is Sarah Palin’s windfall tax distribution to Alaskans not wealth distribution and “socialism”?
    – Why are those checks from Bush Administration last May not wealth distribution and “socialism”?
    Sarah Palin is a Fraud and must bet stopped before she messes up USA and the world!

November 3, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  24. Debra

Not proud of Sarah Palin, and McCain picked her!

November 3, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  25. rob

Obama is the only one that can bring about any change .He's educated , has dignity . has the average people in mind , resourceful , calm -all that a President should be and all that Mc Cain will never be !

November 3, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |