November 3rd, 2008

Poll: Who would voters be prouder to have as president?

(CNN) - Coming into the home stretch, voters’ views of Barack Obama and John McCain seem relatively locked in place, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Monday.

With just one full day of campaigning left, 59 percent of voters feel Obama is someone who can bring change; roughly the same number say McCain is not. Seventy-seven percent of those surveyed think McCain has the right experience to be president, but voters remain less certain about Obama: Half the country says the Illinois senator has the experience he’d need in the Oval Office, and nearly the same number do not.

Working in Obama’s favor is the perception that he is as strong a leader as McCain: the two are essentially tied, at 64 and 62 percent.

And Obama seems to have an edge on the question of which candidate cares about people: Two-thirds of those polled believe Obama cares about people like them. Fifty-four percent say the same of McCain.

No matter which candidate comes out on top, a majority of voters say they’ll be proud of their new Commander-in-chief: Sixty percent of registered voters surveyed say they would be proud to have Obama as president, and 54 percent feel that way about McCain.

The survey was based on telephone interviews with 1,017 adult Americans, including 950 registered voters and 716 likely voters, conducted October 30-November 1, 2008. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN • John McCain
  1. Yohannes woldegebriel

I have never been so inspired on any election in my life time than the 2008 US presidential election. This election, proved to me the triumph of reason against arrogance, integration against exclusion, harmony aginst discord, issues aginst personality, ...This election is a good lesson for Africans mediocre and other shameful personalities.

November 3, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  2. karen-phoenix

As a registered republican in AZ I am sooooo ashamed of the McCain/Palin champaign and the republican party that this year I am voting for Obama/Biden!!!! I can feel safe again with Obama/Biden in charge!!! McCain just might not make it through the 4 years and God Help America if Palin is in charge!!!
    I Want to feel good about my country and I haven't for a very long time!!!
    God Bless Obama/Biden

November 3, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  3. Cheryl

I will be proud of PRESIDENT OBAMA and VP Biden. I would hang my head in shame if McCain wins with that Palin who is not a smart cookie! She's hiding more than we know. WHY HAVEN"T HER MEDICAL RECORDS BEEN RELEASED?
    Go Vote, VOTE TODAY!! NOW,!! WAIT IN THE LINES, WHAT IS SIX HOURS COMPARED TO A POSSIBLE FOUR YEARS OF MC CAIN AND PALIN DESTROYING US MORE!

November 3, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  4. Election watcher

If Obama wins the stock market will take a major hit. The DOW will lose around 1000 by Friday. It will however bottom out at 7500 in the course of the next few weeks. It may start building again after the first of the year, but Xmas will be a retail disaster and many small retail outlets will fold early in 2009.
    If McCain wins, it will sort of slump along until just after (a disappointing) Xmas. It will start climbing after the first of the year. It won't be pretty either way, but things will be MUCH worse if Obama wins
    Just wanted to let you know what to expect.

November 3, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  5. mitch

hey teach! do you make more than $250,000? i didnt think so.

November 3, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  6. merk

man i love it when americans find that common sense inside themselves. that's why we're proud to have you as our closest friends and allies in the uk. we've missed it. vote barack obama and do us all proud, reclaim your place as a leader of freedom and humanity!

November 3, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  7. alvin from seffner, fl

obama being president would send shockwaves through the rest of the world.. we need to repair our reputation with the rest of the world....he would start it....

November 3, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  8. Shell in Missouri

This really isn't a single person, it's initially a full ticket, two people -and I couldn't possibly vote for McCain/Palin. I've been a conservative all of my long life and it broke my heart that I couldn't find a ticket I could vote for in the last election! This year I'm very proud to be voting for Obama/Biden! This has been the first time in many years I've had hope in leadership and the first time in my life I've ever voted Democratic – very exciting!

Mr. Obama and Mr. Biden will have some very hard years ahead of them and what they need to accomplish will not come quickly or easily. Our faith in them cannot disappear in a year or two after they're elected, just because things here are still rough! The changes which need to take place in our country will take time. We need to support them and the team they bring in around them for the long run and not turn our backs on them!! Obama is a man of his word – keep remembering that and stand beside him! VOTE TOMORROW AND VOTE RIGHT! Obama and Biden and their team – for the future of our country!

November 3, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  9. Donna from Colorado Springs

Obama......absolutely! McCain is just George Bush with white hair and the same person under the skin. Obama is change and the hope for a much needed different path for this country to take. The last eight years have been so difficult for this country because of Bush and his cronies, and we need something new and honest......not secretive and arrogance in government. Vote for Obama america!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 3, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  10. Loletha

Obama/Biden I would be most proud of as President of the USA.

I would have like to see a female, Palin is the wrong choice, she has already violated her powers in the past. She's to risky , I have my family to think of. If it was HILLARY oh yea, but Paliar NO NO NO

November 3, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  11. tom

Obama lacks experience but my life will sure be better off voting for him right now, McCain had the chance to date I have not heard what plans he has and may I remind everyone he still dose not has one. I wounder how much more days he has to come up with one because last time I checked elections are tomorrow.

November 3, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  12. OBAMA for Prez

A vote for John McCain is a vote for Sarah Palin...and I refuse to let a half-wit run our country

November 3, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  13. fmr. Hillary Supporter now for McCain

if all of you still think Obama has the experience to be president.

November 3, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  14. yvonne

Terry in Lakeland, We won't go away, Palin is a cancer,everywhere, Of course you being from Lakeland I can understand your feeling, You know alot about stupidity,I lived on the cusp of lakeland for yrs,people like you are still living in the stone age. Palin was GUILTY of ethics violation, And John MCCain is a MAKE BELIVE MAVERICK,Vietnams Best friend.

November 3, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  15. Michael in Houston

I would love to hear that the new President elect is Barrack Obama. I was one that supported McCain in the beginning but his judgement on issues her ein the last year have just baffled me. First, he let the RNC choose his running mate which was a horible decision. I still say, if McCain wanted to make a statement of equality and choose a female VP, they had much better choices i.e. Kay Bailey Hutchinson here in Texas who is more than qualified to be Commander and Chief if needed. I think the RNC wll have to go back to the drawing table for the next 2 years and revamp thier strategy a little. Thier ideology and message is outdated and no longer will this country be ran by the privilaged few as it has been. The people have spoke in 2006 and are even speaking louder in 2008.

November 3, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  16. David Orbach, New York, NY

Long national nightmare = almost over. Barack Obama will make America proud, and will make the world proud of America.

November 3, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  17. Joe Green

running who has been found GUILTY of ethics violations
    ————————————
    Which is 100% false. Go away Obama Paid Staffer.
    _____________________

Which part is false? The Alaskan Congressional investigative committee has found that Palin has violated Alaska's ethics laws.

Has she been found GUILY in a court of law? NOT YET as legal charges have yet to be filed (do you think her own Attorney General is about to do that?).

So, 100% False? Not quite. She is innocent like O.J. is innocent. Don't confuse not getting convicted (yet) with being innocent.

November 3, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  18. Cat

All I have read about is Obama - There is another candidate McCain.
    I am getting closer to whom I want to vote for, but this one-sided view is really bothering me. I look at the individual and what he is about, not his appearance or pretty speeches. Look beyond those things and you may see more than you bargained for.

November 3, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  19. Sandy

I would be very proud to have Mr. Obama as POTUS. He is intelligent and has the temperment to make America beloved around the world again. The way he ran his campaign is proof of his executive experience. The way the McCainPalin camp ran their campaign is proof of how they would run this country. Palin's behavior at rallies and that phone call from the Canadians is proof of McCain's lack of good judgement.

November 3, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  20. Lilly

Will we be safer with Obama or McCain in 4 years?

November 3, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  21. Maggie from Virginia

Obama will be your President and Leader even if you don't like him.

November 3, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  22. Debbie

If anyone out there has been paying attention, Obama should be our next president. He is someone we can be proud of and I think can elevate our pride in America again. I feel that the other two have already abused us enough with their lies.

November 3, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  23. Cath Done

To All Americans- Thanks for giving the world a modicum of hope for a short time. Please God ,by tomorrow evening it will be hope for a longer time!

Senator Obama has stirred the world in a way that only people like Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr., John F Kennedy and Robert Kennedy have been able.

The world needs a new course and a new cause. Please, Americans, let it be PEACE!

A Canadian Supporter of Senator Obama

November 3, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  24. fmr. Hillary Supporter now for McCain

I totally agree with you, Teach and Hard Working American for McCain.

November 3, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  25. frank rodriguez

America will finally "get it right" on Tuesday !
    OBAMA 2009-2016

Looking forward to a government FOR THE PEOPLE.......

November 3, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |