November 3rd, 2008

Poll: Who would voters be prouder to have as president?

(CNN) - Coming into the home stretch, voters’ views of Barack Obama and John McCain seem relatively locked in place, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Monday.

With just one full day of campaigning left, 59 percent of voters feel Obama is someone who can bring change; roughly the same number say McCain is not. Seventy-seven percent of those surveyed think McCain has the right experience to be president, but voters remain less certain about Obama: Half the country says the Illinois senator has the experience he’d need in the Oval Office, and nearly the same number do not.

Working in Obama’s favor is the perception that he is as strong a leader as McCain: the two are essentially tied, at 64 and 62 percent.

And Obama seems to have an edge on the question of which candidate cares about people: Two-thirds of those polled believe Obama cares about people like them. Fifty-four percent say the same of McCain.

No matter which candidate comes out on top, a majority of voters say they’ll be proud of their new Commander-in-chief: Sixty percent of registered voters surveyed say they would be proud to have Obama as president, and 54 percent feel that way about McCain.

The survey was based on telephone interviews with 1,017 adult Americans, including 950 registered voters and 716 likely voters, conducted October 30-November 1, 2008. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN • John McCain
  1. Robert

I'd be proud if Obama was the President. McSame . . . well there you go.

November 3, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  2. Pat

It's time to END the great OBAMA ILLUSION !!!!!!!

COUNTRY FIRST – no more silly hat tricks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McCain / Palin - YES WE WILL !!!!!!!!!!!!

November 3, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  3. Sue in Alabama

To "Teach":

Have you never listened to what Obama said about taxes?

Do you make (profit) over $250,000 a year?

If you do then another 3% will not break the bank, and if you Don't bring home that much then you are in for a tax break, BREAK, not increase.

November 3, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  4. Gail

J.O.B.S., tax cuts, rich pay their share. That's how the 'wealth' of this great nation will be 'spread' around and I'm all for it. Quit feeding those fat cats in Washington OUR hard earned money.

Get a Clue Vote Obama, if you haven't already/ I am proud to say I voted early for Obama/Biden.

November 3, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  5. ms j La

Jack,

I believe we as a country need to move forward and not be caught up in the past. McCain represents "the past" look at his record. McCain openly admitted voting with George Bush 90% of the time. McCain needed Palin to energize HIM not the people and McCain definitely can't identify with the common people, he's never been there! He is still tied to Bush and even George Bush knows this, that's why George Bush is not showing his face, he doesn't have to, He's speaking through McBush!
    A Blind man can see through this!!!!

November 3, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  6. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

I'll be very proud to call Obama my President.

Barbara – 65 yr old white female in NC November 3rd, 2008 8:07 am ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    I cannot stand the thought of McCain representing this country – he continues to spew lies weeks and months after they have been debunked. I'm ashamed of him. He is not an honorable man.

November 3, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  7. Cynthia; Bham

Without a doubt the U.S. and the world would be prouder to have Senator Obama as President. An Obama presidency would greatly improve our standing in the world. He's level headed, intelligent, organized and knows where he is going and everybody knows it. We don't need another goober for President.

November 3, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  8. Team America

Easy decision...war hero/experienced/tested/proven vs. inexperienced/wright/ayers/ACORN/raising taxes to pay for everything/3 headed monster in Washing(Obama, Pelosi, Reid)....no brainer...I'm voting McCain!

November 3, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  9. Annie, Atlanta

Barack Obama was my choice. I don't understand why McCain isn't further behind in the polls. What he and Sarah have unleashed is a horror. I live in suburban Atlanta and am afraid to put an Obama sign in my yard for fear of my family's safety. As Paul Krugman put it, the GOP has become the party of intollerance.

I am afraid for my country for the first time in my adult life. John McCain, win or lose, owes this country an apology for what he has knowingly unleashed. He won't. And I hope to God it can be contained again, for all our sakes.

November 3, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  10. Charles L. Shaw, Liverpool, NY

Save your comments folks, CNN will only post pro Obama comments...How do you hold the media accountable for this horrid election? When will the media take the side of "We the People" for a change, oh but that might cost them revenues from the big advertisers huh?

November 3, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  11. bjyellen

Teach,

The trick is to have hard earned money. It matters less how much you pay in taxes as it does how much you earn and keep. A strong economy will net you and your children more than an economy dominated by the special interests.

November 3, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  12. Sharon

Obama is an honorable extraordinary man, and has demonstrated over past two years he possesses the charactrisitcs we need as a President. The rest of the world knows it too!! Top leaders of other countries almost unanimously want Barack Obama elected.

Get out and vote everyone!!! Not done until every vote is counted!

Go Obama!!

November 3, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  13. Former PUMA

Obama by far wins this question. I can't wait to show these right wing, christian nutjobs, trying to force their beliefs on the rest of the country, that we are not gonna take their crap anymore. I am so sick of the values of others being forced on me, and if I don't agree, then i am unpatriotic.

November 3, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  14. rick allen

for the 1st time in my life, I'm voting for a candidate I truly believe in. I'm in my fifties, so it's been a long time coming! I saw Barack yesterday in Columbus, he was great!
    McCain, palin and the RNC have even given hypocrisy a bad name. Their campaign has all been aimed at the LCD (lowest common denominator) of people's fears and ignorance, fanning the flames of ignorance.
    Obama/Biden TUESDAY!!!!

November 3, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  15. Donald, Toronto

I may not in all honesty agree with Senator Obama on his view with respect to abortion and same sex marriage but owing to the fact that he is a politician (not a pastor, rabbi, priest etc. who ought speak against immorality), his responsibility is to ensure that the constitutional rights of every person in the U.S.A. is protected. As such, along with his intelligence, calm demeanor, his economic, health, education and foreign affairs platforms and his willingness for diplomacy/dialogue with others will make him to be a better leader who will be respected around the world. Thus one will be proud to have Senator Obama as president.

November 3, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  16. Claire

To Teach: I will give you a thousand dollars if you can successfully cite where Obama stated he would take your money away from you to give it to someone who refuses to work.

November 3, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  17. Sue in Alabama

Oh, and P. S., Teach,
    Your money won't go to people who don't work, it's not welfare, it's a tax break for WORKING PEOPLE!
    OK?

Obama/Biden '08

November 3, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  18. Red, white and blue

President Obama of course! He is young, eloquent, intelligent and cultured. He is also bi-racial (not black). A perfect candidate to heal the divisions and to reach out to the world beyond America's borders.

November 3, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  19. military spouse

My active duty husband and I would be much prouder to have Barack Obama as president. McCain has run a very dirty, negative campaign full of lies and exaggerations and has shown poor judgement in his choice of Palin as VP. Who wants a person like that running our country? What message does that sent to other countries about our leadership? Its time we had a noble, intelligent and honest president and vice president.

We're hoping Georgia turns BLUE this year!!

OBAMA/BIDEN

November 3, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  20. Blue in Colorado

After 30+ years of voting Republican, I am very proud to have voted already for Barack Obama. He is wise, intelligent, thoughtful, controlled, and the list goes on. He will represent our country well. Sarah Palin is a joke as far as we women go.

November 3, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  21. Craig in Washington

Our president is not only our nation's chief executive, he represents our country abroad. Bush's job as chief executive was poor. His job representing the U.S. to the world was abysmal. John McCain would be somewhat better at the first task. But not much of an improvement in the second task. That’s why Al Qaeda wants McCain to win – for recruiting purposes.

November 3, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  22. Bikll,Ca

NO MORE 4 years of the same.

Palin and McCain are still are liars and are misleading the american people about Obamas tax plan.

The never talk about their own planned spendings.

Nobody knows what they are planning to do – why should anyone buy a cat in the sack.

And don't reward any republican for their 8 years of failed politics. Get them out of washington.

Obama / Baden 08

November 3, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  23. Soccer mom from Canada

McCain and Palin are dividing the country. Palin is dividing the Republican party. These two should not be any where near a leadership role. Their behavior has been irresponsible and it should not be rewarded

November 3, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  24. Christine

I couldn't be more proud to have Senator Obama as The President of the United States!! The world will see our country in a better light! Can't wait to see it happen.....

November 3, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  25. Pat Pa.

How can anyone say that they are proud of a sleezebag like McCain and his Barbie Doll. They ran a filthy campaign and still have never told the American people what their plan is if they get elected. All they know how to do is smear Obama. They have no plan. It will only be more of the same, EXCEPT, worse.

November 3, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |