November 3rd, 2008

Poll: Who would voters be prouder to have as president?

(CNN) - Coming into the home stretch, voters’ views of Barack Obama and John McCain seem relatively locked in place, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Monday.

With just one full day of campaigning left, 59 percent of voters feel Obama is someone who can bring change; roughly the same number say McCain is not. Seventy-seven percent of those surveyed think McCain has the right experience to be president, but voters remain less certain about Obama: Half the country says the Illinois senator has the experience he’d need in the Oval Office, and nearly the same number do not.

Working in Obama’s favor is the perception that he is as strong a leader as McCain: the two are essentially tied, at 64 and 62 percent.

And Obama seems to have an edge on the question of which candidate cares about people: Two-thirds of those polled believe Obama cares about people like them. Fifty-four percent say the same of McCain.

No matter which candidate comes out on top, a majority of voters say they’ll be proud of their new Commander-in-chief: Sixty percent of registered voters surveyed say they would be proud to have Obama as president, and 54 percent feel that way about McCain.

The survey was based on telephone interviews with 1,017 adult Americans, including 950 registered voters and 716 likely voters, conducted October 30-November 1, 2008. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN • John McCain
  1. Liz

Did Obama's illegal auntie vote? She contributed to his comapaign so did ACORN register her? Ethics???

November 3, 2008 06:47 am at 6:47 am |
  2. Mike

As an European I would be proud of the American people if they elected Obama, It would make me proud of the U.S. for the first time in 8 years.

November 3, 2008 06:48 am at 6:48 am |
  3. Amy

If you had asked me this question 6 months ago, I would have said I would be proud to have either candidate as my president.

But no more.

McCain has run a sleazy, divisive campaign, one that will go down in the history books as one of the most dirty. He chose a running mate who flamed the fires of racism and distrust. In my opinion, he sold his soul to the devil when he let the right-wing conservative "Christians" of his party set the tone of his campaign.

Obama on the other hand set a tone of equality, inclusiveness, and change for his campaign, and I will be proud to call him President Obama.

November 3, 2008 06:48 am at 6:48 am |
  4. Liv

Defintly BARACK OBAMA

November 3, 2008 06:49 am at 6:49 am |
  5. James

Barack Obama!!!

McCain that has voted 90% of the time with with Bush!!!
    has been a total disaster.

Bush and McCain has given us a very bad reputation in Europe and around the world.

November 3, 2008 06:51 am at 6:51 am |
  6. Tired

Obama! Obama! Obama! I really thinkd MCcain would have been ok, if he had not picked Sarah Palin.

November 3, 2008 06:54 am at 6:54 am |
  7. Emma from Texas

I am a registered republican voting for Obama. I am turned off by McCain's negative ad attacks. I have been waiting for McCain to tell me what he will do for the economy, healthcare, etc. So far, McCain hasn't given me a straight answer. McCain's straight talk is infact zero!
    Besides, McCain's running mate was found guilty of abusing her power, God knows what else that woman would do. Palin scares me!

November 3, 2008 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  8. Eli

A good question, but a better and more relevant question would be, "When is Gov. Palin going to release her medical records?" As Senator McCain's running mate, she should be giving folks voting for them some peace of mind.

November 3, 2008 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  9. e.

Obama, Obama, Obama.

November 3, 2008 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  10. David

Yes, I would be proud to have Obama as president. His experience as a Constitutional Law professor harkens back to our founding fathers. Here's a man who understands the philosophical underpinnings of our country.

Current leaders (e.g. Bush, McCain, Cheney, and Palin) seem to think the Constitution is something to cite when you want to promote guns, something to ignore when you want to torture, and something to venerate when you want to appoint a right-wing conservative judge to high court.

November 3, 2008 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  11. for obama nj-dp

remember america obama is a good strong leader with good people behind him, who does mccain have behind him "palin"? think about it...vote obama

November 3, 2008 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  12. Yuvone Harper

Everyone says this election is not about race. I am an african American woman I live in Kingsport Tennessee I have placed two Obama signs in my yard and I cant seem to catch the thief or hater who is oviously mad at the fact that I have this sign. Why cant we just all get along ? If it were a Mc Cain sign I guess it would be ok. I dont know who would violate my freedom by taking my sign but remember God sees all and knows all.

November 3, 2008 07:00 am at 7:00 am |
  13. Ben in NC

I don't see Obama as a strong leader at all. I think that perception may be out there because of the extensive and positive television coverage... that illusion is created and promoted. If you listen to his views and look at his record, he seems very indecisive and unsure of how to proceed on a given subject. Too many times, he chose to vote "present" and not take a stand either way. That's shady, and not the sign of a strong leader, but a sign of a slick and shady politician.

Also, if he is in an interview with someone vs. giving a teleprompter speech, suddenly he goes from a great orator to a stuttering teenager caught off guard. I think that is a good sign of his lack of conviction on any issue, and that he is trying to figure out quickly what the interviewer wants to hear.

November 3, 2008 07:00 am at 7:00 am |
  14. McCain

You liberals crack me up.... so blind... so uneducated. IF Obama wins you will get your "change" just remember.... Change is not always for the best. God Help us all

November 3, 2008 07:01 am at 7:01 am |
  15. lil

Not mccain/palin they are out and out liars.

Go out and Vote.
    Obama/Biden

November 3, 2008 07:03 am at 7:03 am |
  16. SENATUS POPOLUSQUE ROMANUS

Barack Obama.

November 3, 2008 07:04 am at 7:04 am |
  17. faxbot in Michigan

I'll be so pleased to cast my ballot tomorrow for Barack Obama and Joe Biden The RNC /GOP have thrown everything but the kitchen sink at this Bright young man. He has proven time and again he has the leadership the country needs. I can't trust the judgement of a man who braggs about his service but has refused to publish his military records I researched and was shocked by what I did find out about Senator Mccain. His actions to me were UNFORGIVEABLE He will have to face the maker for his actions one day I pity him when that time comes. So yes i'll be very proud indeed to call Barack Obama Mr.President.

November 3, 2008 07:04 am at 7:04 am |
  18. yvonne in columbus

I will be in tears of joy win Sen. Obama wins

November 3, 2008 07:05 am at 7:05 am |
  19. Catheryn Donathan

I will be so proud to cast my vote for Barack Obama Nov. 4th.This country is ready and needs A change from the same old politics.So America young and old get out and vote. Our children and grandchildren depend on it. OBAMA '08!!!!

November 3, 2008 07:05 am at 7:05 am |
  20. J HARRIS

john mccain probabably best experience, but cannot take the chance of sarah palin becoming president. that would be reidiculous.

November 3, 2008 07:07 am at 7:07 am |
  21. Gary

Of course Obama would make us proud.
    McCain and Palin have sunk so low even George Bush doesn't want to be seen with them.

November 3, 2008 07:08 am at 7:08 am |
  22. Voted for Bush the last go 'round ...

If Obama wins, maybe the racial tension and prejudice will ease a bit. I'm inspired by him. His rallies look like a "real America". The McCain rallies look a lot like "the old days".

November 3, 2008 07:09 am at 7:09 am |
  23. Ursula

Signed sealed and almost delivered!

Gobama!

wink!

November 3, 2008 07:11 am at 7:11 am |
  24. Obama voter in Western PA

The Republicans have run yet another campaign based on fear and hatred. It worked in 2000 and 2004. It could work again in 2008 unless we brave the lines and CAST OUR VOTES for Obama/Biden.

November 3, 2008 07:13 am at 7:13 am |
  25. Ray from NY

Sen.Obama will win this election because of 3 things,
    1. he has run a great campaign
    2. He speaks for everyone.
    3. Sen. McCain is just another long time politician that doesn't want change.
    The country is speaking loud and clear!!
    Obama/Biden 2008/2012

P.S. i know this won't be posted but at least i had my say

November 3, 2008 07:14 am at 7:14 am |