November 3rd, 2008

Poll: Who would voters be prouder to have as president?

(CNN) - Coming into the home stretch, voters’ views of Barack Obama and John McCain seem relatively locked in place, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Monday.

With just one full day of campaigning left, 59 percent of voters feel Obama is someone who can bring change; roughly the same number say McCain is not. Seventy-seven percent of those surveyed think McCain has the right experience to be president, but voters remain less certain about Obama: Half the country says the Illinois senator has the experience he’d need in the Oval Office, and nearly the same number do not.

Working in Obama’s favor is the perception that he is as strong a leader as McCain: the two are essentially tied, at 64 and 62 percent.

And Obama seems to have an edge on the question of which candidate cares about people: Two-thirds of those polled believe Obama cares about people like them. Fifty-four percent say the same of McCain.

No matter which candidate comes out on top, a majority of voters say they’ll be proud of their new Commander-in-chief: Sixty percent of registered voters surveyed say they would be proud to have Obama as president, and 54 percent feel that way about McCain.

The survey was based on telephone interviews with 1,017 adult Americans, including 950 registered voters and 716 likely voters, conducted October 30-November 1, 2008. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN • John McCain
  1. It will soon be over

I am from Canada, and to tell the truth, I don't think that there has been any time in U.S. history that the opinion worldwide of the Americans has been so low. The last 8 years have made Americans less liked. The world has been watching this election process with interest, and from polls taken worldwide, Sen. Barack Obama is by far the favourite, and I am sure that the opinion of the U.S. would be a lot more favourable.

November 3, 2008 07:14 am at 7:14 am |
  2. dinma1

I will vote for Obama, he has the charisma,....

November 3, 2008 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  3. Steve in CT

Okay, let's take a serious look. Say you're the governor and you have first hand knowledge one of your state cops has anger issues with violent tendancies from what you've personally seen in your family. He's out on the streets in high stress situations carrying state firearms. Would you try to quietly address the danger or stuff your head in the sand? She's the only experienced Chief Executive and the only experienced Commander In Chief. She's saved the economy of Alaska and put big oil in it's place to help the citizens. Let's hope people start paying attention to what she really is rather than political properganda.

Palin / Huckabee or Huckabee / Palin 2012 to fix Tuesday's mistake.

November 3, 2008 07:15 am at 7:15 am |
  4. New time ... new generation ...

McCain has been in Washington for 30 years. He is part of the problem. He should really stop drawing attention to that by attacking Obama's lack of experience! Furthermore, what about the experience of his running mate? If something happens to him, she's got even less experience than Obama! Being a Mayor of a town of a hundred, and Gov of *sigh* Alaska is hardly enough experience to lead a Country. Winking, slang, and charm only get you so far. There's very little between those two big ears of hers ................

November 3, 2008 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  5. Revcarrie

It looks like we will have Obama as president and our household could not be happier about it. We know very staunch Repub. who have already voted Dem. for the first time in their lives. This is a sad state of affairs but the right state of affairs. Mr. Bush (he never was MY president ) and the Rep. ticket this time have been a total disgrace to us as Americans. We are hated around the world. The "trickle down economics" didn't work for Reagon and why we allowed them to be tried again, I'm never know. The results have been devistating. I'm trying right now to help five hard working families keep their homes and NOT due to greed of theirs but unemployment and lost CONTRACTED pensions! NOT out of stupidity with their mortgages but out of loss in value of their neighborhoods and credit that is non-existant now.

November 3, 2008 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  6. Pat

The last time we had someone as inspiring as Obama was in the 60's. (King, Kennedy)
    Colin Powell said it best: He is a transformational figure.

There are good polititians and then there are people that have the once-in-a-generation ability to move and inspire millions in the world.

November 3, 2008 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  7. Lisa

The words McCain and proud do not belong in the same sentence.

November 3, 2008 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  8. jeff - Dallas

The really frightening variable in all of this is Palin. Potentially putting this naive Governor one heartbeat away from the Presidency should be enough to convince anyone that Obama/Biden is the ONLY way to vote if you care about the future of this country.

fifty year old white college educated Texan for Obama.

November 3, 2008 07:17 am at 7:17 am |
  9. Mac in Nova Scotia

John McCain has run a dirty, sleazy campaign along with the RNC. They are going to need Joe the Plumber to clean the McCain/Palin cesspool. I voted for Obama and pray that he will be our next President. It will be so nice to be represented by such an intelligent, thoughtful man instead of an angry old man who is looking for a fight.

November 3, 2008 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  10. Mr. President Obama

I would love to say I'm from the United States of America once again. GWB has faultered the presidency. He made a joke of the presidency. The USA has been laughed at long enough. CHANGE IS WHAT WE NEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 3, 2008 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  11. Lynne

I would be extremely proud to have an intelligent President of the United States, as Barack Obama would be.

I don't see how anyone could be proud of the McCain-Palin ticket after the way that campaign has been run, as well as the obvious lacking of the VP candidate. A ticket of non-intellectuals...is that what the USA wants as its leaders? C and D students? When did we decide to lower the standards to THAT degree?

November 3, 2008 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  12. vote! OBAMA-BIDEN NOV.4th

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA !!!!!!!!!

November 3, 2008 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  13. don

Yeah, they are both about the same....especially if you want a lying, war monger, son of W in the white house who cannot even keep his running mate in line. I read once that someone who had worked with George W said he ran his campaign like the royal navy, and McCain ran his like the Pirates of Penzance.

If you like war and the current economy only worse-McCain will be W on steroids.

November 3, 2008 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  14. It's a shame

Insanity-Doing the same thing and expecting to see a DIFFERENT

November 3, 2008 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  15. Becky

No questions- one who is presidential and carries himself likewise.
    Barack Obama

November 3, 2008 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  16. Pat

Being European I used to feel uncomfortable with the pedge of allegiance
    Two days ago I went ot an Obama rally and for the first time in my life I felt that I will finally have a reason to pledge my allegiance.

November 3, 2008 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  17. Another Texan For Obama

I would be proud to have Obama as President. He has the ability and the vision to bring this country together. McCain and especially Palin, have shown how devisive they can be.

November 3, 2008 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  18. Opens new conversations

As an Obama supporting white man, I feel with the leader of the free world being black,it will allow white people in general to speak more critically about the problems in the black community. Maybe we can finally remove the false stigmas against any white person who would dare speak openly about problems beyond his own race.
    Also, I believe this will help put the African American struggle to an end, because I do believe all are created equal.

November 3, 2008 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  19. Juan Grain

If people don't make the small sacrifice and go vote, stand in line for a while for senator Obama then we can loose this thing. and the future will be more of the same crap. I know for a fact that the Republicans believe that the Democrats are lazier when it comes to actually taking the time and voting. And that is one more thing that drives them to the polls in droves on Tuesday. If you have ever needed to get er done, now is the time. Don't try, if you are trying then you are failing. Just DO IT. Just get up and go vote for Obama/Biden.

November 3, 2008 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  20. Marty, FL

Obama/Biden earned my vote in this election with their unifying campaign, addressing the issues we face in a positive, constructive manner.

God Bless America

November 3, 2008 07:21 am at 7:21 am |
  21. Mac in Nova Scotia

I voted early so that I can have time to ask all my Aunts and Uncles if they are here legally.

November 3, 2008 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  22. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

McCain is Bush all over again.... Palin is just a boob.

OBAMA '08
    OBAMA '12

November 3, 2008 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  23. Brad

Lincoln had very little experience when he became president. Why is this such an issue? I think better understanding of the world is what's key in this race.

Everyone vote!!!!

November 3, 2008 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  24. Denise Groves

I do not trust McCain. Not after the way he behaved when the financial crisis imploded and how he reacted when Russia invaded Georgia. he is too erratic, and too tempermental I would hate to see him in the Oval Office.

November 3, 2008 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  25. ron from nj

Since I live in the fake America I have only one choice for President. I will be overcome with joy to be able to call Sen Barak Obama President.

November 3, 2008 07:24 am at 7:24 am |