November 3rd, 2008

Poll: Who would voters be prouder to have as president?

(CNN) - Coming into the home stretch, voters’ views of Barack Obama and John McCain seem relatively locked in place, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Monday.

With just one full day of campaigning left, 59 percent of voters feel Obama is someone who can bring change; roughly the same number say McCain is not. Seventy-seven percent of those surveyed think McCain has the right experience to be president, but voters remain less certain about Obama: Half the country says the Illinois senator has the experience he’d need in the Oval Office, and nearly the same number do not.

Working in Obama’s favor is the perception that he is as strong a leader as McCain: the two are essentially tied, at 64 and 62 percent.

And Obama seems to have an edge on the question of which candidate cares about people: Two-thirds of those polled believe Obama cares about people like them. Fifty-four percent say the same of McCain.

No matter which candidate comes out on top, a majority of voters say they’ll be proud of their new Commander-in-chief: Sixty percent of registered voters surveyed say they would be proud to have Obama as president, and 54 percent feel that way about McCain.

The survey was based on telephone interviews with 1,017 adult Americans, including 950 registered voters and 716 likely voters, conducted October 30-November 1, 2008. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN • John McCain
  1. tom

my captain my captain obama--yes we can

November 3, 2008 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  2. grahame

If Sarah Palin has any aspirations regarding 2012 then I suspect she is in for a surprise. The kind of dirty political campaign the Republicans have run will remain in the minds of voters for a long time. A prime example is Elisebeth Dole's Dirt. If Palin does run in 2012, and she well might, then if she runs the same kind of campaign she will definitely lose. I predict that the Republicans will be down for a long time. We can only hope so.

I personally am proud to call myself an Obamabot.

November 3, 2008 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  3. stephy

I will so proud to call Sen. Obama, President Obama. He is a man that will bring true change to the USA. He is a problem solver, and brings 21st century solutions to 21st century problems. Barack is the prsident we need for this time in America.

November 3, 2008 08:02 am at 8:02 am |
  4. St. Paul Mom

I am looking forward to an Obama presidency. I believe he has the intelligence, knowledge, and temperament to do a first-rate job. He's calm and focused.

Like many people, I could put up with John McCain as president but really don't want Sarah Palin to be a heartbeat away.

November 3, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  5. Obama brings International Integrity

This question should be not only what Americans think, but what the world public opinion would be of the U.S. Obama helps to restore integrity. McCain is seen as a loose cannon and worse with the perception that Palin is just a political hack. Obama gets a slight edge domestically, but restores respect instantly abroad.

November 3, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  6. K Baker

Barack Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 3, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  7. Paula

I am trying my best to remain calm and hopeful. Obama is what we need right now in so many ways. The dispicable attacks on Obama have been awful and yet he has remained calm and direct. I pray for his safety, but know in my heart that many, many people wish him a safe journey.....our lives and country depend on it.

November 3, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  8. (Former) Lifelong Republican supporting Obama, Columbia, TN

I hoping and praying that I can call Sen. Obama...President Obama on Wednesday morning. I am already proud of this young man. Obama has run a picture perfect campaign and has worked hard a delivering clear and concrete solutions to the many problems that America is facing. It would be a very sad day indeed if Obama were to lose this election. I would NOT be proud to call McCain my President!

November 3, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  9. Charles L. Shaw, Liverpool, NY

Do not feel pressured to vote for the lesser of two evils. Both of the major parties choices are poor indeed.
    Vote third party this year, vote for the only Party committed to lower spending, and thus really having lowered taxes.

VOTE Bob Barr and the Libertaraian Party for real changes.

November 3, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  10. Shu

I am very impressed seeing how Obama run his primaries and general campains he has shown me he is very organized,intellegent, dispined, well spoken and always ended with a positive note. Those are qualities we need in a president in this trouble time. Not like his opponent born with a silver spoon and married to a wealthy wife he is where he is today through hard work and determimation .
    Go Obama . You makes us all very proud.

November 3, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  11. Susan

It WILL be WONDERFUL to call Sen. Obama our President! He will work to restore this countries good name within the worl which has been totally trashed by Bush and made worse by McCain with his love of war. God willing, Wednesday, we will all have a smile on our face as we say President Obama, and Yes, We Did!

November 3, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  12. Daniel from FL

The "experience" argument is out the window for me, especially since the Republican ticket features a VP pick who thinks she can protect us with her moose-hunting skills when Putin "rears his head" over Alaska. I'll take leadership, judgement, and good temperment any day over "experience". I'll take Barack Obama for President!

November 3, 2008 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  13. oghepaul

Jesus Christ is about people, love for humanity, christian or muslim, whatever your religion. Obama has the will of christ and not mccain. People come out tomorrow and vote Obama in. This the hope of America today.

November 3, 2008 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  14. xrglima@yahoo.com

Obama for president!
    Read the comments!
    It's going to be a landslid victory.

November 3, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  15. Bill

A vote for Obama / Biden is a vote for the average American, for which I
    can be proud.

November 3, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  16. Michael "C" LOrton, Virginia

The Obama Express is approaching the White House station.

November 3, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  17. Leigh

Obama voters would be proud, McCain voters would just be voting their party. Historically there has always been a fight for Ohio. When the election is over, Ohio is forgotten. No new jobs, or manufacturing. I hope this changes with the new administration. I'm tired of hearing Ohio put us over the top, thank you Ohio and then nothing.

November 3, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  18. Clinton/McCain

McCain. Although I'm a democrat and I've voted that way since 2000, when I was old enough to do so. McCain has a proven track record of getting work done and crossing the ailse. Obama has no accomplishments and ran a very dirty campaign against Hillary and against McCain. I would not be proud at all of Obama as president. I don't think he should have been our nominee.

November 3, 2008 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  19. JR

I would be more than proud to have Barack as President. He is the epitome of the American dream! As an American women who is pregnant with a son whose father is African and will have a funny last name too, I can rest that much easier to know that he now atleast has a chance in this country! OBAMA 08!

November 3, 2008 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  20. Obama voter

I am having a hard time thinking of Mr. McCain as a war hero. I remember the other POW's coming off the plane to boo's and put downs. What makes him a hero and the others not. I believe that McCain pretty much hung himself when he picked Palin for his running mate and started such a dirty campaign. We Americans are not stupid and we can see through his dirt. Smear Campain at its best.
    I already voted for Obama...
    Go BO and JOE!

November 3, 2008 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  21. MBFLA

If you have been unable to vote early, then please take the time to vote on Tuesday Nov 4 no matter how long the lines may be. This is your greatest responsibility as a citizen of our country.

We cannot endure 4 more years of borrow and spend economics, a refusal to practice diplomacy, a willingness to disregard international law, a belief that torture is acceptable if we do it and an administration that divides this country into the wealthy and the rest of us.

Please vote for hope, change and a better America!

November 3, 2008 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  22. ladyc803

OBAMA!

THANK GOD FOR SENDING US BARRACK OBAMA!

OBAMA/BIDEN (OB)

November 3, 2008 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  23. dan olisa

I will surely be proud to be among those that would usher in President Obama by Wednesday !

November 3, 2008 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  24. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

I cannot stand the thought of McCain representing this country – he continues to spew lies weeks and months after they have been debunked. I'm ashamed of him. He is not an honorable man.

Obama/Biden '08

November 3, 2008 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  25. Obamaisnotchange

NONE OF THE ABOVE!

Obama is a fraud, that not one person can point to a substantive piece of legislation or stance he has taken. Obama=Bush.

McCain is a fraud who, while being a "Maverick" within his own party, is still out of touch w/ America and it's needs. McCain=Bush.

Obama is going "spread the wealth around", and McCain is going to "bomb, bomb, bomb....Iran".

We are all screwed, and both candidates are the worst of the worst choices.

November 3, 2008 08:08 am at 8:08 am |