November 3rd, 2008

Poll: Who would voters be prouder to have as president?

(CNN) - Coming into the home stretch, voters’ views of Barack Obama and John McCain seem relatively locked in place, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Monday.

With just one full day of campaigning left, 59 percent of voters feel Obama is someone who can bring change; roughly the same number say McCain is not. Seventy-seven percent of those surveyed think McCain has the right experience to be president, but voters remain less certain about Obama: Half the country says the Illinois senator has the experience he’d need in the Oval Office, and nearly the same number do not.

Working in Obama’s favor is the perception that he is as strong a leader as McCain: the two are essentially tied, at 64 and 62 percent.

And Obama seems to have an edge on the question of which candidate cares about people: Two-thirds of those polled believe Obama cares about people like them. Fifty-four percent say the same of McCain.

No matter which candidate comes out on top, a majority of voters say they’ll be proud of their new Commander-in-chief: Sixty percent of registered voters surveyed say they would be proud to have Obama as president, and 54 percent feel that way about McCain.

The survey was based on telephone interviews with 1,017 adult Americans, including 950 registered voters and 716 likely voters, conducted October 30-November 1, 2008. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • CNN • John McCain
  1. 08 Voter

Without a doubt someone that has been proven vs. someone that is risky and inexperienced. McCain 08.

November 3, 2008 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  2. Wayne

Obama, McCain has created a dirty campaign, make you wonder if he can be trusted, shows that he would lie and cheat to win. What would he not do as president? History is being written, and we are the lucky ones to experience it. Who would have thought this could happen? The majority will chose

November 3, 2008 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  3. joseph

was the poll condacted in GOP neighbourhood.

November 3, 2008 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  4. Sadie Calif

I am sitting in a cafe in France - amazing to watch this from overeas. Europe is watching us - and is a buzz about Obama. If Obama is elected - we're going to get a HUGE internal boost. We need to make sure we use it wisely!

Obama 08!!!!

November 3, 2008 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  5. Obambi

White House USA–for sale–600 million dollars-"bundles only" from illegal immigrants and foreign nationals. Send your donations directly to AA, Obama organization–Acorn, DNC. I believe CNN , NBC<CBS will go the way of Oprah at 50% viewership loss in 2008.

November 3, 2008 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  6. Linda from Prescott AZ

oUR ONLY HOPE TO GET OUT OF OUR CURRENT DISGUSTING SITUATION IS TO ELECT OBAMA. SURE MCCAIN HAS MORE EXPERIENCE, BUT HE IS IRRATIC. IT DOESN'T TAKE EXPERIENCE TO HAVE COMMON SENSE.

AND LASTLY, I'M SO TIRED OF HEARING THATMCCAIN HAS THE SCARS TO PROVE HOW MUCH HE LOVES HIS COUNTRY. BEING POW IS A TRAGEDY INDEED, BUT IT DOESN'T GIVE YOU THE RIGHT TO THE PRESIDENCY

November 3, 2008 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  7. Erastus Mtui

His Qualities makes the rest of the world wish they vote! Barack Obama is expetionally blessed with leadership skills! The world will be very very proud to have Barack Obama in the Oval office of the greatest nation on earth!

November 3, 2008 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  8. Jimmie

There is much talk about spreading the wealth, in OBama Policies.
    I am a German by Citizenship living in Germany. Here the wealth is being spread and that is why the crime rate here is to the bearest minimum, and that is why Politicians, Governours, Senators, House Representatives walk around, without body guards and they are not attacked.
    In Germany wealth is being spread around and that is why the more you earn the higher you pay taxes and this taxes are being spread around for the least furtunate ones.

In Germany if you loose your work, you get 60% of your last Salary for one year, before you are being sent to the socials, if you could not get a work in a year.
    In Germany as a Social person, your health insurance is being paid for, by the Goverment and you can visit any Doctor or Surgeon. Your house rent is being paid for, likewise your montly cost of living.

Education is free at all level for your children, and that is why we German love to pay tax and that the wealth from the tax can be spread around.

There is an old Adage which says and i quote "A rich man among 10 poor men, he himself is also a poor man." Americans what does it profit you as a country of 30% rich Republicans and 70% poor Americans. Time for a change that we all believe in it.
    Remember 8years of Repulican rule of Shame by President G.W.BUSH

VOTE OBAMA.

November 3, 2008 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  9. Country First

McCain–Someone that will create jobs; someone that will protect the country; someone that can be trusted; someone that has been tested; someone that won't raise taxes; someone that will fight for Americans.

November 3, 2008 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  10. saved

Obama!!! McCain has showed us he is a lying, angry, bitter, old hypocrite. The world does not want 4 more years of worse than the same and I for one will never vote in this country again if McCain wins. That means America will never change and people of color will never have any hope.

November 3, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  11. ny independent

It's been said repeatedly that running for office is the longest, toughest job interview there is. Just look at how the two campaigns have been run. That says it all for me. As an independent (who supported Hillary), I looked long and hard at these two candidates. I now believe, after all that I've seen and heard, that Obama is the right choice. The Palin pick was McCain's downfall. And it's not even her lack of experience that is so frightening, though that's bad enough. The McCain campaign knew exactly what they hiding when they didn't let her have access to the media for so long. It's her positions on virtually everything and her tactics that turns off so many people.
    I'll be casting my ballot with a clear conscience tomorrow.

November 3, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  12. Cindy

I'm more confortable with Obama, I feel like I can trust him, I like the way he talk about the issues and what he'll do because we have to do it together.
    Obama/Biden for president
    No Mccain=Bush
    No Palin=Cheney

November 3, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  13. Michelle

I'm not voting for Obama because he's Black. I'm voting for him because he is smart!

November 3, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  14. Toby

Jaye, speaking about bringing shame to our country (but not to the Republican party), BreakingNews.ie/World, an excellent source from Ireland for international news, reports a whole list of vile dirty tricks in the American election. But they seem to be unaware that every single item in the list was perpetrated by Republicans against Democrats. The whole country is being tarred by the Republicans' brush, and we are all being made to look like the vilest of Republicans in the eyes of the world.

November 3, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  15. Sohrab

Obamas strong leadership and he understood the regular people more than Mccain the joke .That's the reason peoples are voting for democrats.Obama isn't a magic but personal momentum .

November 3, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  16. byhen from Met. LA.

I would be proud to have Obama as President simply because he is trying to unite our country. The McCain Campaign on the other hand seems to feel that only certain places in America matter. At the end of the day you need to ask yourself is our country better off united as one or divided. By the way CNN's latest report of LA. being safe for McCain is totally inaccurate. As of Friday McCain is leading Obama 43% to 40% with 15% undecided. That sounds more like a tossup to me.

November 3, 2008 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  17. Terry

It is clear to me the time is now for Senator Obama. How many of us stated George Bush has or had experience to manage this country? How very wrong we were. This year I cast my vote to what I believe I am witnessing in the 47 years of my life what could be one of the greatest presidents of my time, Obama.

November 3, 2008 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  18. grahame

Strange thing is. If you listen to McCain's speeches you will note that he never uses connecting phrases, but just talks in 'bumpersticker'

Mind you, it does him no good to have Cindy McCain looking like a bobble head in the background. If you really watch you can see that she is not listening to a word but just responds when others do.

What is really sad is that a lot of Americans believe the McCain nonsense. A sad commentary upon the American Education System.

Hope this comes out with the Democrats controling everything.

November 3, 2008 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  19. Bubba

Proud? PROUD?? Between the shaky old geezer and the guy with the big ears, we're going to have a funny-looking prez however it falls. And could there be anything less dignified than Palin grunting and winking and not knowing where the capitol of Alaska is located?
    It's gonna be a long four years, and comedians will be the ones getting rich.

November 3, 2008 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  20. Sylvia of Florida

My Fellow Voters,
    I would like to share my thoughts with you because even at this last minute I am very conflicted. I feel very strongly that the president should be a man of strong character. I am a democrat and would like to give Obama my vote. It should be that easy, but I have nagging doubts about him. In the 18 months that I have followed this election very closely, I still do not know very much about him. I admire his achievements but there are a lot of questions still remaining about him as a person. I suspect he is more radical than he would like us to believe. I think he could be great yet he may be a disaster. And I am still not comfortable with some of the things that went on during the primary with Hillary Clinton. All politicians make promises that they cannot keep. What makes a great president is the mettle of his character when he is put to the test, and I wish that I had that confidence in Obama. I also feel that the greatest quality a leader can have is humility and I do not see that with Obama. On the other hand I could not vote Republican, except McCain is the only Republican I could vote for. At this point, however, it is what is best for the country regardless of party affiliation. Therefore, I am leaning McCain.

November 3, 2008 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  21. McCain/Palin

McCain is someone that has always been proud of his country and doesn't need to be vandicated. He's a true American hero and will do a great job as the next president.

November 3, 2008 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  22. ez

I'ts showtime. Go Vote America!

Registered Republican "voted" Obama/Biden 08

November 3, 2008 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  23. Dawn

I would be more proud of Sen.Obama as President. He is calm even all the slander slung at him, he is precise on what he will do for us, Sen.McCain is too angry and he is constantly attacking Obama and that phoney plummer Joe...AKA Sam...

Sen.Biden may have a big mouth, but I would be safer with him as second in command. Sarah Palin is just plain scary..She abused her power in Alaska and think of Dick Chaney...picture her three times worse.

Go Obama/Biden08/12

November 3, 2008 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  24. Independent Voter

And again, just like in the Democratic primaries...experience can be over-rated.

November 3, 2008 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  25. Anonymous

John McWane would lead to trouble that's for sure.

November 3, 2008 08:13 am at 8:13 am |