November 4th, 2008

Biden makes big entrance at poll

CNN

Sen. Joe Biden voted Tuesday morning with his wife and mother.

WILMINGTON, Delaware (CNN) – With his wife, daughter and 91-year-old mother in tow, Joe Biden headed to the polls to vote Tuesday shortly before 9 a.m., about the same time Barack Obama cast his own ballot in Chicago.

The foursome walked into a local school minutes away from the Bidens’ home to cast their ballots at the spacious polling station void of the long lines seen elsewhere Tuesday.

Biden’s mother, Jean Finnegan Biden, showed an election official her ID. After her granddaughter Ashley asked “Ready, girlfriend?”, walked into one of the three booths.

Watch: Biden votes with his wife and mother

The senator and Mrs. Biden took the other two booths, and the Democratic vice presidential nominee emerged seconds later with a wide smile, flashing a thumbs-up for the cameras.

Mrs. Biden came over and gave her husband a big hug. As his mother emerged from behind the blue curtain he told her, to loud laughs, “Don’t tell them who you voted for.”

Moments earlier, Biden told an election official, “Mom said ‘It's the most important election of your life, but not because of you, Joe.’"

Asked by a reporter how he’s feeling, Biden responded, “Feel good, feel good.”

The Delaware senator was on the ballot twice Tuesday, as he runs for his seventh term in the U.S. Senate against Republican challenger Christine O’Donnell. With a significant lead in the polls, however, his re-election bid is essentially a foregone conclusion.

Election Day is shaping up as a family affair in the Biden household: 36 relatives will travel with the senator to Chicago Tuesday, ahead of the Democratic ticket’s evening rally in the city’ Grant Park . On his way, Biden will stop at a polling station in Richmond, Virginia. The Democratic ticket heads into Election Day with a small lead in that traditionally-Republican state.

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. greedyboy

Good luck Joe. I hope you are the next VP of the United States of America.

November 4, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  2. Obama Fan

I have never been this excited about an election in my life.

I truly feel that Obama is the right man for the job.

Got Hope?

Vote Obama/Biden

I did!!

November 4, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  3. sabuc for Obama

Biden prolly wrote in Hillary's name! :-D Love ya too, Joe!!!

November 4, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  4. Obama Fan

Time to face the change......changes...

Go Obama!

Today I am truly proud to be an American!!

November 4, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  5. Linnae

VOTE BABY VOTE!!! This ain't over til all the ballots are in - make sure yours counted. No way, now how, no '00, no '04!!!

November 4, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  6. Christine CT

You go Joe the Biden!

YES WE CAN!!!!

November 4, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  7. HappyEnding

It has been the most divisive election I have seen or read of in my adult life. Barack and Biden will win and reunite the nation McCain and Palin have helped divide.

November 4, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  8. Keyia

GO OBAMA/BIDEN 08'!!!!!! History will be made tonight!!!! Although there are some still some IGNORANT americans who will not vote for Obama because the color of his skin! So sad! WHEN WILL AMERICA GROW UP AND FOCUS ON IMPORTANT ISSUES???????

November 4, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  9. Anonymous

gaffe attack

November 4, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  10. texasgirl

I love Joe Biden. I love his gaffs. I love his sense of humor. I love his respect and love for his family. I love his commitment to our country. And I love the fact that he will be our next Vice President!!

You go Joe! We love ya!!!

November 4, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  11. Across the border

Independent and Learning .. keep learning ... seems you have a ways to go. Between librarys and common sense there is hope.

November 4, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  12. BOB S S

WHERE IS HIS CART . THE ONE WITH ALL THOSE REGERISTERED DEAD VOTERS .

33.8 MILLION WAS GIVEN TO THERE CAMPAIN FROM FOREIGN COUNTRIES , FOR ACORN TO DIG UP DEAD VOTERS .DIG ACORN DIG .

FLIP FLOPS ARE WELCOMED HERE . AND MEDIA AND NEGATIVE REPORTS AGAINST THE MAVRICKS.

November 4, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  13. It's like Christmas!

Joe Biden, heretofore to be known as Joe the Vice President!

November 4, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  14. Liz the Young Voter

did he cut in line?
    that's not fair.
    hahaha.
    whatevz, i can not wait for him to be in the white house making this country awesome again.
    and hey,47 yr old bitter old man for McCain: relax, you sound ignorant as hell implying the size of a state is proportional to its importance.
    come on, i'm 24 years younger than you but many years wiser.

Obama!

November 4, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  15. Gertrude Martins

I have never been so excited in my life as I am today. Though there are many black Americans voting for Obama, he could not win without the support of the white people. The white Americans have shown to the world that they are the smartest, most generous and good hearted people, who know when they see something really good. Don't ever call America racist any more. They have risen above all differences. Hat's off to you America. You are once again the beacon of hope and you can once again lead the world. All nations will be glad to follow you.
    The last time I as a foreigner was excited about American election was when Kennedy stood for election!
    Please don't kill him America. You will be face the wrath of the world and you will be deemed the worst nation on earth!

November 4, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  16. Benny - Texas

I wonder why they didn't Poll Texas for OBAMA? I guess since Texas is normally a Republican State, they just conceded it to McCain, but let’s see just how far that goes. Texans for Obama\BIden, we respect McCain for his service, but this country is really in need for a chance, and Texas is on board for that Change!

November 4, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  17. Otto

And so the Tsunami begins. The color blue takes primary stage across the nation.

November 4, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  18. OBiden

Early voted three weeks ago in Maine for Obama / Biden. My mother called me at 6:15am to tell me she was first in line in her precinct to cast her vote for the same ticket.

Go get em'!

November 4, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  19. Nik

President Barack Hussein Obama!

November 4, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  20. Kevin

How many times did you and each of your cronies vote, Joe?

November 4, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  21. McCain=the draft

I'm your neighbor in PA, Joe. I'm headed to vote for you and Obama right now! You and Obama will give us back our country!

November 4, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  22. dem4obama

November 4, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  23. sick of independent but leaning

@Independent but Leaning:

I will miss you least of all once this election is over. I certainly hope you are never hired as a motivational speaker, ever. You are one of the most negative people roaming on these blogs. Hopefully you can get yourself together, soon.

November 4, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  24. Mavwreck

Independent but Leaning November 4th, 2008 9:58 am ET

Biden was quoted as saying, "I have a lot of respect for John McCain…. he is probably even a better choice for president than Barack…"

What Biden said was that Hillary probably would have been a better choice for VP than he himself was. Typical republican- just make something up, and call it a fact. Clue- if you are in the tank for one
    candidate, you are neither independent, nor leaning

November 4, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  25. dem4obama

You go joe! no,( not joe the plumber,) JOE BIDEN, our next vice president ,alongside our new president BARACK OBAMA!!! OBAMA/BIDEN 2008!

November 4, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |