November 4th, 2008

Biden makes big entrance at poll

CNN

Sen. Joe Biden voted Tuesday morning with his wife and mother.

WILMINGTON, Delaware (CNN) – With his wife, daughter and 91-year-old mother in tow, Joe Biden headed to the polls to vote Tuesday shortly before 9 a.m., about the same time Barack Obama cast his own ballot in Chicago.

The foursome walked into a local school minutes away from the Bidens’ home to cast their ballots at the spacious polling station void of the long lines seen elsewhere Tuesday.

Biden’s mother, Jean Finnegan Biden, showed an election official her ID. After her granddaughter Ashley asked “Ready, girlfriend?”, walked into one of the three booths.

Watch: Biden votes with his wife and mother

The senator and Mrs. Biden took the other two booths, and the Democratic vice presidential nominee emerged seconds later with a wide smile, flashing a thumbs-up for the cameras.

Mrs. Biden came over and gave her husband a big hug. As his mother emerged from behind the blue curtain he told her, to loud laughs, “Don’t tell them who you voted for.”

Moments earlier, Biden told an election official, “Mom said ‘It's the most important election of your life, but not because of you, Joe.’"

Asked by a reporter how he’s feeling, Biden responded, “Feel good, feel good.”

The Delaware senator was on the ballot twice Tuesday, as he runs for his seventh term in the U.S. Senate against Republican challenger Christine O’Donnell. With a significant lead in the polls, however, his re-election bid is essentially a foregone conclusion.

Election Day is shaping up as a family affair in the Biden household: 36 relatives will travel with the senator to Chicago Tuesday, ahead of the Democratic ticket’s evening rally in the city’ Grant Park . On his way, Biden will stop at a polling station in Richmond, Virginia. The Democratic ticket heads into Election Day with a small lead in that traditionally-Republican state.

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. Jered Townsend

What better time to address the "slander" action by Joe Biden during the Youtube Dem. debate. There is no better time to act than right after he wins...more to come!

November 4, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  2. Saidou Sabally

Obama!

November 4, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  3. Julie in AZ

Go Obama/Biden! History is going to be made today. A great history with a great future! Finally relief from the last 8 years!

November 4, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  4. Mr. Mike

American living in Sweden. Voted via absentee ballot early October. I'm from Chicago originally. Guess who I voted for...

Europe is watching! The World is watching! This election is so important to the entire world, I can't even believe it.

Wish I could be back home and have voted with my neighbors, but I'll enjoy watching it all unfold from abroad.

November 4, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  5. Amir

I live in Texas and I voted for change. What McSame brings nothing but same neocon agenda to bomb other countries and bully around the world. What the mess this Republican party brings, 8 years of a low mental IQ Bush and now a joker like Palin and erratic, sick and old McSame with the agenda of 100 year war.

November 4, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  6. Ashley

Benny – Texas?!?! really? McCain will win Texas by a landslide. in 8 years…after Obama has let all the illegal immigrants in Texas gain citizenship there will be a significant chance that Texas will go Blue. until then...McCain 08 baby! i realize it’s a long shot but hoping mccain will pull through this.

November 4, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  7. VICKIE

BIDEN IS A JOKE. OBAMA IS THE WRONG WAY TO VOTE. WHO CAN TRUST HIM.

November 4, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  8. stephen

She definitely wasn't prepped to say that.....
    Anyway, change isn't always a good thing....

November 4, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  9. Linda of Woodbury, MN

77 days and counting to the inauguration of the best pair of leaders this country has seen in a long, long time.

Fired up for change!

November 4, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  10. Blaise

How anyone can't love both Barack Obama's and Joe Biden's message and general demeanor is baffling. There is no question who SHOULD be the next president. Unfortunately due to narrow-minded, fear filled Americans there is much doubt as to who WILL be the next president.

November 4, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  11. davidoff777

Go Obama-Biden go.This to me is the most important election so far in my 34years on this earth.As i head to the poll,(armed with my rosary praying fervently for Obama)i feel my nerves shaking,my body trembling and my mind wondering what is going to happen in less than 12 hrs from now.May the good lord continue to guide the Obama-Biden ticket.This i pray in Jesus name.Amen.May the good lord guide them both to victory and may him give them the wisdom to put America back to its place in the world.This and many more good things we pray in Jesus name.

November 4, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  12. Independent Voter

I love Biden – he's REAL. Obama, no. Hey, all you Obama fans, BO teared up yesterday. Where's all the nasty cracks about crocodile tears – or do you save those for Hillary?

And here's a missed opportunity to make fun of Mr and Mrs McCain – quick – not a moment to lose – get out there and be jerks one more time.

This Special is available today only!

November 4, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  13. Cammi317

Wondering what happens if Joe wins both of his elections...does Delaware then hold a new Senatorial election? I would hate to think his opponent would then gain his seat.

November 4, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  14. Matt

Obama the 44th president of the United States

November 4, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  15. IT's A Girl

I certainly hope you all BO supporters are gracious losers. It's not over yet and you will see- Victory for McCain/Palin

Or are you going to be one of the rioters that have already been predicted? Can't understand it . Black folk burning down black folk business and homes. Go figure. Stupid is the word for that.

November 4, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  16. Voter in Virgina

This country is still too racially divided for Obama as President.

November 4, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  17. Darla (Edmonton, Canada)

I love the fact that Senator Biden went to vote with his mother and his daughter ... if every eligible voter from each generation of every family were registered to vote and then exercised their individual right to vote ... just imagine how robust and stable each level of our government would be?

November 4, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  18. Elaina

For the first time in my lifetime, I believe we will have a government for the people and by the people. We will grow jobs and have more people paying taxes. We will tax the wealthy who own 7 houses and make over 4 million a year to spread the wealth they possess from the blood, sweat and hard labor of 95% of the population. Everyone will have access to medical. We will protect our environment and become more dependent upon ourselves for our energy, we will unite all Americans and we will restore the name of our country and what it stands for abroad, and we will have an intelligent, sensible president...I am an American and for the first time in my lifetime, I am proud to say it with gusto and spirit. Barack needs our help and support to make our country the greatest on this planet, now let’s get to it! Oh, and we won't have the wealthy, fat cats, running our country or telling us they understand how bad it is while they own 7 houses and are multimillionaires.

Go Obama and Biden!

November 4, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  19. elizabeth

God bless Obama and Biden.My prayer is that they will do the best job they can. I'm sure there will be obstacles put in Obama way.

November 4, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  20. ITs FINALLY OVER

BEWARE NOW THE LIBERAL NAZI'S ARE HUNTING FOR ANY AND EVERYONE THAT VOTES FOR MC CAIN, CAUSE WE ARE ALL RACISTS AND SHOULD NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DISAGREE GOOD LUCK YOUR ON YOUR OWN.

November 4, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  21. ross berg- Buffalo, NY

I voted for the Democratic ticket which for me is a first since I started voting in 1960.

I just could not get beyond the fear of having Sarah Palin in the oval office. Seems to me that any thinking person who saw the Couric interview would share the same fear??

Let's hope we now unite behind the new President and work on the problems facing our nation!!

November 4, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  22. Erica in California

Obama and Biden will bring back the hope and inspiration of the American people. They have already CHANGED the future of American politics forever. Obama will show that nice guys can finish 1st!

Obama/Biden 08

CHANGE BABY CHANGE!

November 4, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  23. delaware chick

How can you go wrong with Joe Biden? Even if you don't prefer Obama, Biden's wisdom and experience can only help Obama with decisions. The man commutes from D.C. to home every day to be with his family, He is a regular American, a working American.I can't see him doing anything but his best for this great country.

November 4, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  24. Citizen of the World

Godspeed Barack Obama and Joe Biden.

Obama/Biden 08/12

November 4, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  25. Michael watching from Canada

Beside any minor gaffs that Joe has made, his experience and wisdom will be a blessing for the American people.

And Joe is right.......

America and the world are ready for change.

Go Obama.