November 4th, 2008

Biden's 10-year-old granddaughter meets the press

Democratic vice-presidential candidate Sen. Joe Biden votes with his wife, Jill, and mother Jean, in Wilmington, Delaware.

From CNN Producer Alexander Marquardt

CHICAGO (CNN) - Reporters traveling with Joe Biden Tuesday finally came face to face with the girl they had been hearing about in every single one of her grandfather's campaign speeches in the past two months: Finnegan Biden, the Delaware Senator's 10-year-old granddaughter who wants to be president and urged him to agree to be Barack Obama's running mate.

"I subscribe to anything Finnegan says, I have absolute confidence in my granddaughter," said Biden, who joined her in the press section of his campaign plane shortly after Finnegan wandered back and started answering reporters' questions.

"She's the one who pushed the hardest for me to be vice president, didn't you," Biden asked the blond-haired girl standing in the aisle of "Pop's" plane, surprised at all the attention being paid to her.

Why did she want her grandfather to get the nod?

"Well, first, it'd be really cool. And, he and Barack Obama will make a difference," she said.

That and the fact that the vice president's mansion in Washington is "a mile and five-tenths" from her house and has a pool.

The focus quickly turned to the vice presidential nominee who says that even if his ticket wins Tuesday night, his family life won't change much.

"If we were to win I don't know that it would change a lot. In the sense that, just being different locus I guess." The family - 36 members of which are with Biden today - is mostly split between Wilmington, Delaware, and Washington. Biden says those in Wilmington would simply have to make the short trip to DC.

When asked if his 91-year-old mother, who lives with him now, would make the move, Biden told CNN that she might. But he quickly reminded the press that he's superstitious and doesn't want to get ahead of himself.

"I really am superstitious. And we really have not talked about it. I mean everybody's thinking about it, but no one's, no one's talking about it," said Biden, adding that it's presumptuous to assume one knows what voters will do.

"I know it sounds silly but I really mean it," he continued. "If you notice, all the speeches you've heard me say you've never heard me say 'I believe the American people think.' Never presumed to think for the voters or the American people."

After voting in Wilmington Tuesday morning, Biden made a final campaign stop in Richmond, Virginia, where he greeted voters at a polling station. He then flew to Chicago where he will watch the returns come in with his large family at their hotel before joining Obama at their rally in Grant Park.

Notably absent is Beau Biden, Biden's eldest son who is about to be deployed to Iraq as a captain in Delaware's National Guard. He was told he could leave his training base in Texas to join his family, but turned it down to stay with his fellow soldiers.

"This kid is a different brand of kid," said Biden.

With all the questions about the future if he becomes Vice President, Biden says one thing is certain.

"Jill said, 'I'll make you a deal,'" said Biden of his wife. "'If you get the vice presidency and get elected, you can get a dog.'"

Filed under: 2008 Election • Joe Biden
  1. Barbara in NC

Cute little girl – and smart like her grand-parents !

Obama/Biden – voted early to avoid the rush.

November 4, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  2. Chris (SC)

Even 10 year olds know who to vote for. :)

Go Obama!!!

November 4, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  3. Lisa

I think Joe Biden has a great family. Joe, I sure hope you get your dog!!!

November 4, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  4. Brendose, Oceanside CA

Funny.........the 10 year old talks like Palin.........or does Palin just sound like a 10 year old??

November 4, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  5. 47yo male for McCain

That's what happen. Now I understand why he made such a stupid decision.

November 4, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  6. FLORIDA for Obama

Rudy Guiliani was just on with Wolf Blitzer.

What a RUDE man that Guiliani is.

He didn't let Wolf finish a complete sentence the whole interview.

The Repug-licans are VERY GOOD at TALKING OVER people.

VERY RUDE

WHOLE FAMILY VOTED FOR OBAMA/BIDEN
    TWO GREAT MINDS ARE BETTER THAN NONE

GO JOE!!

November 4, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  7. Voice of Reason

"...a mile and five-tenths..." ???

Wow do we ever need education reform in this country if even a 10-year-old cant figure out that 1 5/10 miles is a MILE AND A HALF!

That said, I think Obama's going to take it today with 3240 Ninths electoral votes.

Get out and Vote!

November 4, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  8. Greg Padgett

I do not appreciate the questions and manner that was just used on the former Mayor of New York. You can obviously see that the media is bias (Democrat), you didn't even give the man the opportunity to respond. As a Southern Baptist, and a Christian, I will pray for you. You definitely need Jesus.

You are very disrespectful.

Greg
    Mobile, Al

November 4, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  9. lerajel

Tis funny !!! This unbelievable story coming from a poor suburb of the capital of the Nort-Western African nation of Mauritania.

A 34-year old lady who quitted family to marry a man without traditional consent of family delivered a twin. She named them today after Obama and McCain, a local newspaper reported.
    Link to the story in its original Arabic version below:

November 4, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  10. Dan

Awwww... Now that's news I like to hear

November 4, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  11. simply_kris

O, you repugs are a set of whiny wussies.You font deserve any respect for the attitude you spew.You deserve to be kicked out of your houses or jobs. Sad part is how much ever you say you are progressive thinking, you are nothing but racists ! Sick of you losers !

November 4, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  12. Proud to be American

That is justification enough .... how cute! Love you VP Biden! I have Barack the vote and certain that Obama will be President.... live where evey you want ...... just work as hard as I anticipate you will for America!

November 4, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  13. mike jacobs in mesa arizona

so since he was always talking about her in his speeches why is he exsploiting little kids

November 4, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  14. Voted For Barack/Joe

I love Joe's Crest White smile!

November 4, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  15. Kathleen

Finnegan, you are one smart young lady! Good luck to you and Barack, Joe. Cheers K

November 4, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  16. HM

Finnegan is an AWESOME name!

November 4, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  17. David

Great article. Finnegan sounds like a great kid and I'm glad she was able to meet the press and answer a few questions. May she truly become president in 20 years time.

The Biden family really sounds like that all American Family that I've seen on TV.

President Finnegan Biden sounds really good!

November 4, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  18. Donna

Ou are

November 4, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  19. Griff

Mr Biden! I have a 14yr old Granddaughter! So What? I also have another five Grandchildren.. The World moves on!

November 4, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  20. Mary

Its so great to see politicians who are truly invested in their families. Obama and Biden are both family oriented, and I think that, more than any other factor, is telling of their character.

November 4, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  21. Smarter than

Palin.

November 4, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  22. Mary

Wow. Palin should take notes.

November 4, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  23. Amy

Mike, being proud of your grandchildren is different than exploiting them.

November 4, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  24. S

Biden and Obama are very connected to their families, you can tell by their interaction. Palin seems like she is very family oriented, but I do question how much she really pays attention to her kids when she is out of the public eyes since she has a pregnant teen in the home. The McCain's on the other hand are very cold, they do not seem as happy. Cindy and John appear to have a marriage of convience, they never hug or show warmth towards each other.

November 4, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |