November 4th, 2008

Bill, Hillary Clinton won't paint 'rosy scenarios'

Hillary and Bill Clinton cast their votes Tuesday from Chappaqua, New York.

Hillary and Bill Clinton cast their votes Tuesday from Chappaqua, New York.

(CNN) — Speaking to reporters in Chappaqua, New York, Bill and Hillary Clinton emphasized the tall order facing Barack Obama if he wins the presidency, and reflected on parallels between this year's race and President Clinton's own 1992 run.

"It’s got a lot of parallels to 1992, in the sense that the economy is in trouble and all that," Bill Clinton said. "But the difference is that it’s coming after eight years, six of which had the Republicans in control of both the White House and the Congress."

"I think most people understand this is not just a choice between candidates –- it’s a choice between philosophies," He said. "That’s going to be the fundamental significance, and our party tomorrow will wake up with an enormous responsibility, but a profound responsibility."

Watch: Bill and Hillary Clinton cast their votes Tuesday

Hillary Clinton also conveyed confidence in the Democratic ticket and Party—emphasizing the vital need to work across party lines moving forward.

"It's going to be really hard, but I think everybody's up to the task and we're gonna roll up our sleeves and we're gonna get to work," said the New York senator.

"I think that the country will be well served. I'm not painting any rosy scenarios," she said. "It's going to be very difficult to dig ourselves out of the ditch that the Republicans are gonna leave us in, but we'll do it, and I'm very confident about that."

1. bababear

I truly hope that the Senate gets that magic 60%. Then the R's cant fillibuster and play obstructionist and then blame it on the D's for not getting anything done. If they dont reach that number Obama and the rest of us are in for a really long rocky road

November 4, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  2. Katie Flagstaff, AZ

One can always rely on Hillary Clinton to stay politically correct. I'm happy that as a Democrate I can claim her intellect!!!

OBAMA/ BIDEN 2008!!!!

November 4, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  3. mccain is thrown under the bus by the GOP

karl rove predicts a landslide for Obama...quick everyone check their wallets, who knows what this crook is up to.

Clearly Obama was going to win the only question was would the GOP be able to rig this election.

Now it appears there target is mccain. So they are just trying to throw him under the bus. I feel sorry for him. Like I would feel sorry for my unsuspecting grandpa. Better be careful which butt you kiss.

November 4, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  4. Denise Groves

Happy days are here again! Thanks Bill and Hil for the help you gave Obama! We are in the White House!

November 4, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  5. Amy

Barry November 4th, 2008 11:48 am ET

re: Convicted Felon (Stevens). How can it happen? One word: Alaska.

(Can Stevens actually vote today???)
    --------------------------

Stevens can vote because although he was convicted he hasn't been sentenced yet.

November 4, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  6. Goddess

Hubby and I voted Obama/Biden. I am praying for a change.

November 4, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  7. Amy

Just voted for Obama!

I cannot wait until this election is over and Obama wins by a landslide, so I never have to hear the words "McCain" and "Palin" ever again!

November 4, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  8. David Watson

I'm hoping that today is a "Perfect Storm" for the democrats. Obama in the White House, a Blue US House of Representatives and 62 Blue Senators. SWEEP!

November 4, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  9. thaddeus buttmunch

"My candidate didn't win."

Bill Cllinton.

WHAT??!! I didn't know Monica was running in the primaries! or was it Jennifer Flowers??

November 4, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  10. RRB

This is not just change we are voting for, this is catharsis -we have become a sick nation, we need healing.
    OBAMA BIDEN '08

November 4, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  11. David

At least some prominent officials are noticing that the Democrats should not carry sole blame for the last eight years. Republicans have had congress for all but two of the last 14 years, and one party government from 2000-2006. Sarah Palin is just fear-mongering over this "left-wing takeover" nonsense.

November 4, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  12. Paul in PA

....I wish the Dems would just shut up and realize that Pelosi squandered the largest political mandate in history, just as Nobama will if he manages to squeak by with a win....which he won't.

GO McCain!!!

Paul.

November 4, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  13. BJ

This has been the MOST ONE-SIDED BIASED election in the history of this nation. 90% of the media reporting has been FOR Barack Obama. This is downplaying his "win".

HILLARY should have been the nominee if it were not for the meddling of the DNC (Pelosi, Dean, Kerry, Kennedy), the media and the bully tactics of the Øbama campaign.

It is shameful that this country would elect a president based on media and party choice. Let us hope at least that he can fulfill his promises... which I doubt he will, or can.

November 4, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  14. amelia

It's time United States has to make a stand to get our country back in shape.We are know to be the land of opportunity we need to make Americans believe in this again!!!
    CHANGE IS OBAMA FOR THE NEXT FOUR YEARS!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  15. Anonymous

so what happens when the election's over and Obama is president and you all realize that he doesn't have the power to implament all the thing's he's talking about. as a matter of fact almost everything he's said with the exception of the things concerning the war only congress has the power to do. so good luck to all of you and I can't wait for the swing the other way..

November 4, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |