November 4th, 2008

Brazile: The day we turned the page

(CNN) – Tuesday, November 4, 2008 will go down as the day America opened its history book, turned the page and started a new chapter of change.

This is truly an historic night - a moment many of us prayed for, marched for, organized for and some even died for. This is not the end of a journey, but the turning of a major page in American history.

If Dr Martin Luther King were alive, he would have cautioned us not to stop praying, not to stop marching, but to keep the dream alive.

As Senator Barack Obama has stated so long ago, change never comes easy. Tonight the people of America will tell the world that they are ready for change and they will back Obama in leading the change.

Filed under: 2008 Election
  1. Cheryl from Destin, Florida

yes we can and yes we did – we will put a new face on this wonderful country we ALL live in.

November 4, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  2. OBAMA 08

Thank u Donna Brazile for ur beautiful words. President Barack Obama!!!

November 4, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  3. Eleanor Thornton-Landry

What a night!
    Who would have ever thought this country would see a night like tonight. May God bless the Obama family, and give him the wisdom to surround himself with people like-minded. May we as citizens know we all have a part to play to make this experience a historical statement, not just for the USA, but for the world.
    Thanks to Senator McCain for being gracious in his speech this evening.
    Go Obama/Biden!

November 4, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  4. ray allan

I finally have faith in my country.

November 4, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  5. From the North

Congratulations, America! Well done!

November 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  6. travis

This is not a page that should have ever been. We have taken a flying leap towards communism. True americans suffer tonight.

November 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  7. David from Ohio

Yes we did.

November 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  8. youthdude

Martin Luther King wouldn't have voted for abortion, wouldn't be a socialist and wouldn't support same sex marriage. Martin Luther King would not have voted for Obama. This is a sad day in the history of the United States. One which many will regret.

November 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  9. Thinker

I cannot believe Donna Brazile wrote that and CNN posted it. What does that even mean? Voted for change? Voted for a black person? Is that a valid reason for choosing whom to vote for? Does anyone really believe that? A career centrist vs. a die-hard leftist, and we celebrate the selection of the probable Marxist because he's black? Is that what Dr. King wanted?

November 4, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  10. Steve Jones

This is a great night! It's the first optimistic thing we've done since we went to the Moon.

November 4, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  11. nancy morales

God bless president elect obama and the usa. What a great time to be an american.

Palmview tx

November 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  12. Jon

I am so happy!!!!!

I really wondered if I'd ever live to see the day that we, as black folk and as Americans, would embrace change and vote for the things that matter!

I still hope that Americans–both red and blue, young and old, rich and poor, urban rural and suburban, can really work together to retake our rightful place in society–national and international.

I look forward to the promise of the future!

November 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  13. stephanie from copenhagen

America has spoken!!!!welcome president Barrack Obama!!!!oh my God i cant beleive im saying this oh my God!!!!!!!!! God bless America, im totaly proud of you Americans!!!God bless and protect our half Kenyan brother president Barrack Obama!!!!!!
    im a Kenyan Luo!!! oh my God! talk of history!!!Thank you Jesus!!

November 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  14. Daniel Williams

From Australia I would like to offer my heartfelt congratulations America. In my 34 years I have seen a political prisoner rise to lead a nation. I have seen the end of the Berlin Wall. I have witnessed the arrest and prosecution of war criminals. Today reminds me again of how people return to what is good and right. Today, no American is a slave. All American's can seek their potential and pursue their goals irrespective or race or gender. You have set yourselves free. Congratulations America!

November 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  15. Angus

November 4, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  16. yup

YES WE DID!!!!

November 4, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  17. Rita Louise

Ms. Brazile; this country will never recover from what you have done. You have no idea how divided this country will be.

November 4, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  18. Susie

HISTORY WAS JUST MADE TODAY!! -WAY TO GO OBAMA!!!

November 4, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  19. wbd

Eh – DB! If this isn't about race, how long do we have to endure your comments about race? And how long will you persist in digging up this poor man who has been dead for decades???!?!?!?!?

November 4, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  20. herman dill

This is a day that was aligned by the pains and scares of people so long ago who were taken from the shores of africa. These people were brought to the shores of a country thatthey did not know existed. A son of a man from these distant shores came back to this country to plant a seed.man is tactical, god is strategic. Praise his holy name

November 4, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  21. Patty

As Americans we now feel the dream that inspires us to be ready for change. This was my sons first Presidential election, he voted for Obama and he voted for his future.

November 4, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |