November 4th, 2008

CNN projects Warner to win Virginia Senate

Mark Warner wins open Virginia seat.
Mark Warner wins open Virginia seat.

(CNN) - CNN is projecting that Mark Warner has won Virginia's Senate race.

GOP Sen. John Warner won the last race with more than 80 percent of the vote - but the only politician to rival him in popularity was former Democratic Gov. Mark Warner. If the veteran Republican senator had not retired, the battle of the Warners promised to be a tough fight.

But Mark Warner's Republican opponent was the far less-popular former Gov. Jim Gilmore, who mounted a barely-noticed presidential bid this cycle. With Warner's massive fundraising and organizing advantage, the race was a foregone conclusion for months. Virginia, which had not supported a Democratic presidential candidate since Lyndon Johnson ran for re-election in 1964, delivered its electoral votes to Barack Obama last night. The party now also controls the governor's mansion, and both Senate seats.

Filed under: Mark Warner • Virginia
  1. Jay

"Virginia, which had not supported a Democratic presidential candidate since Lyndon Johnson ran for re-election in 1964, delivered its electoral votes to Barack Obama last night."

Huh?

November 4, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  2. Patrick

"Virginia...delivered its electoral votes to Baradk Obama last night." That is news!

November 4, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  3. Christian in High Point

"Virginia, which had not supported a Democratic presidential candidate since Lyndon Johnson ran for re-election in 1964, delivered its electoral votes to Barack Obama last night"????? Uh, did we miss something in editorial control? Virginia hasn't been called yet ... and it's not Wednesday yet.

November 4, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  4. Frankie

Mark Warner is pretty much Virginia's favorite Governor. When Jim Gilmore brought down the economy by cutting the car-tax Mark Warner came in and fixed the mess. In a time of economic crisis its obvious who you are going to vote to fix the economy.

November 4, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  5. jack

What do you mean Virginia "delivered its electoral votes to Barack Obama last night"? It's 8:00 EST on election day. Prewritten copy alert!

November 4, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  6. nick

Do you proof read what you write?

How about letting us vote on who we want to be president before you write stuff like this.

November 4, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  7. Jim

Last night? I thought the media was going to actually wait for the ballots to come in before anointing Obama.

November 4, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  8. nick

I think we all know who Rebecca is voting for.

November 4, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  9. George Conclave

Hey everyone, I hope you all got out to vote today! I just wanted to let you know of this hysterical video I found that makes fun of the presedential race called ANYONE CAN BE VP. It's probably the funniest video I have ever seen. Have a wonderful night, just go to youtube and put it in the search bar!

November 4, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  10. Mike

The real elections were done last night. You think your vote actually counts?

November 4, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  11. Arlyn

I'm 28, and very Democratic. I heed from the Hampton Roads area. Williamsburg exactly. My family is VERY Republican, I was born on a military base, my father owned his own business, I grew up in a gated golf neighborhood, etc. BUT this country is SO wrong it's ridiculous. I'm the head of Moveon here, I have been working the local Obama HQ, too. The fact that Warner won isn't even surprising. Even historically conservative areas have turned. I know loads of lifelong c0nservatives who voted the other way. Republicans have only done it to themselves. What's the saying.............what goes around??

November 4, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Nice job, CNN.

November 4, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  13. Greg

Virginia controlled by Democrats is not news. Virginia mastering time travel IS news!

November 4, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  14. paul

Gee, wonder who that journalist and editor is supporting?

November 4, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  15. David h

last night??? Can you spell Dewey?

November 4, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  16. Anonymous

i want to know how cnn can tell how the minority voted. are they saying my vote is not private?

November 4, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  17. Meggo

It's a good thing I voted early!

November 4, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  18. Frank

Nothing like a typo to mess with everyone's mind. Don't worry, the Electoral College casts their votes to a sealed ballot box on December 6, to be opened in a joint session of congress on January 6.

November 4, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  19. Ally

Virgina, hmm? I don't know. Maybe that state hasn't up there minds yet. I meen a candidate has to have 270 votes to win. I'm sitting here with my whole family watching this thing on CNN.

November 4, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  20. Jay

That is just bad journalism.

November 4, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |