November 4th, 2008

Exit Polls: Changing faces of U.S.A

(CNN) - White voters continue to support the Republican presidential candidate, as they have for many years. In the exit polls reported thus far tonight, 53 percent of whites say they voted for McCain while 43 percent of whites voted for Obama.

Obama, however, has a dramatic edge among African-Americans (96 percent), Latinos (67 percent ) and Asians (63 percent). Significantly, America's non-white vote is increasing as a proportion of the entire electorate. In the 1992 presidential election, whites made up 87 percent of all voters. This proportion fell to 83 percent in 1996; to 81 percent in 2000 and 77 percent in 2004. So far in today's exit polling, whites make up 75 percent of the electorate. Projected demographic trends indicate that the proportion of non-white voters, particularly Hispanics, will increase further in the future.

Exit polling also shows that McCain winning among Southern whites by a margin of 69 percent to 31 percent. Outside the South, McCain won among white voters 51 percent to 49 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Farrell, Houston, Tx

WE ARE ALL AMERICANS, EAST, WEST, SOUTH OR NORTH, WHITE, BLACK, HISPANICS, CHRISTIANS AND JEWS. TOGETHER WE STAND, ALL OF US, DIVIDED IS NOT AN OPTION.

November 5, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  2. Rob indetroit

The new america president Obama-vicepresident Biden 08'

November 5, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  3. Florida for Obama

More white people voted for Obama than for Kerry. So get over it.

November 5, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  4. Kim

On this historic day the people of America have a choice... to either be positive and join together for the greater good of the county or to be negative and act like we have no sense. With the state of the country today I would think the choice is clear, but I am only one person. Please America look into mirror of our country and choose to be a part of the solution and not the source of yet more problems. We are the greatest nation, and it is time we start acting like it. Let us be the source of inpiration not jokes, of strength not weakness and of hope in the sight of despair. The saying is old but very true... "United We Stand, Divided We Fall" Let Us Rise Together and above all Let Us Stand Together once again proud to be an American.

November 5, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  5. amy

two years ago, when she saw Hillary on the news and asked "Is that the lady who wants to vote herself president?", I told my daughter we'd see a black man president before we'd ever see a woman – and it's great that we've come this far – but I don't think it's possible to see a female president of the U.S. in my lifetime – maybe my daughter's, but I don't really have much hope

sexism crosses all those racial boundaries

November 5, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  6. COLORADO

I love Obama, I love Biden, and I love my country. Finally, I am truly happy again, things are looking up. I am so proud of this moment in our great country's history. The U.S.A. is finally ready for change. Let's bring our boys home!

November 5, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  7. Upset in Iraq

As a soldier serving in Iraq, this is disturbing, horrible news to wake up to. A Commander in Chief with no experience, lots of promises, and a huge set of blinders to put on the American people, his promises are going to fall through, I just hope and pray he has good advisors because our new leader lacks everything we need in a President right now...

November 5, 2008 04:05 am at 4:05 am |