November 4th, 2008

Exit Polls: Changing faces of U.S.A

(CNN) - White voters continue to support the Republican presidential candidate, as they have for many years. In the exit polls reported thus far tonight, 53 percent of whites say they voted for McCain while 43 percent of whites voted for Obama.

Obama, however, has a dramatic edge among African-Americans (96 percent), Latinos (67 percent ) and Asians (63 percent). Significantly, America's non-white vote is increasing as a proportion of the entire electorate. In the 1992 presidential election, whites made up 87 percent of all voters. This proportion fell to 83 percent in 1996; to 81 percent in 2000 and 77 percent in 2004. So far in today's exit polling, whites make up 75 percent of the electorate. Projected demographic trends indicate that the proportion of non-white voters, particularly Hispanics, will increase further in the future.

Exit polling also shows that McCain winning among Southern whites by a margin of 69 percent to 31 percent. Outside the South, McCain won among white voters 51 percent to 49 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Somuchforleadership

All the money in the world will not save this country, but a lack of ethics and responsibility from politicians most certainly will destroy it.

November 5, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  2. Former PUMA

Well John. You are a good man. You put up a good fight. I hope this is not your swan song. You have quite a bit left to give your country and your country needs your voice in the senate. Obama, congrats. You had my vote last week!!!! Biden, continue to speak your mind. We need people who go off script in seats of power. Palin, well what can I say? McCain had my vote till he chose you. Once you were chosen, as a woman, my vote was even more of McCain. 2 weeks after seeing you on the world stage, my vote was for Obama and I never looked back. BYE BYE SARAH!!! Out of the 4, you will be missed the very least.

November 5, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  3. Ron G.

Thank you Mr. McCain for a fight well fought, but the right man won. I am pro-obama and we are going to come together and rebuild this nation.

November 5, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  4. mms

NOW WE CAN MOVE FORWARD,YES WE CAN!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  5. Todd Drax

"Obama, however, has a dramatic edge among African-Americans (96 percent), Latinos (67 percent ) and Asians (63 percent). "

Who are the racists now?

November 5, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  6. Concerned Business Owner

"The non-productive majority now realizes that it can vote itself handouts from the productive minority by electing the candidate promising the most benefits from the public treasury."

As Obama says "Spread the Wealth ..."

Socialism won tonight!

November 5, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  7. CSM

Hey money can buy anything.

November 5, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  8. Kay

It's time to heal this country. We are one nation, one people with one voice. Let us show the world how great the United States of America really is.

November 5, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  9. A new America

It is important to note that the "changing faces of America" include groups of people noticeably left out of the dialogue within the mainstream media. Luckily, those same groups were heard LOUD AND CLEAR on this day! So, let it be a lesson to those very comfortable with the status quo: anyone willing to sacrifice the good name, the future and the standing of this great nation for the sake of staying in a comfort zone has an important lesson to learn from this election. A vote for McCain/Palin was a vote for the status quo, but the American people saw through that old smoke and mirrors game. We are smarter, better, and more hopeful than ever before because we have someone who speaks our language: unity, restoration and HOPE for a brighter future. Yes WE DID!

November 5, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  10. Jason Van Cleave

I cried watching Obama's acceptance speech. Of course he won't be a perfect President, but when I think back upon eight years of hate, torture, war, and narrow-mindedness, I cannot help but breathe a sigh of relief that the dark age is coming to an end. I can live with being poor as long as I can hold my head high.

November 5, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  11. Walt, Belton,TX

God help U.S.

November 5, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  12. Richie

Thank you, dear God in heaven. Tonight there is hope for this nation.

November 5, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  13. Anonymous

its about time everyone has come to agreement that we all need a change. it does not matter if obama was white or 100% black. wee need a change""""""""

November 5, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  14. Rex

Concerned business owner, your parties propaganda failed to convince the majority of Americans. It's time to "share the wealth". I've given my sweat, blood and TAX money to this country all my life, while "business owners" like yourself receive tax breaks.....

Todd Drax: with all due respect, you are the racist.

November 5, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  15. chris, nc

obama sucks socialist dong. hope all you white, pant wetting liberals are proud of yourselves.

November 5, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  16. Paul Tan

Senator John McCain for Prime Minister of New Zealand

November 5, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  17. Independent white female patriotic voter

this is a great moment in our history and our great country. I believe we elected a grea president and a very good man. I am honored to have cast my vote for this great man and I look forward to contributing in my own small way to his leadership and follow in his footsteps to make our great country and the world a better place.
    God bless Obama, help him lead and bless the USA.

November 5, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  18. Ryan

Concerned Business Owner, you will need to stop being a cry baby. oh btw, MCCAIN LOST!! so, there is no need to repeat the message over and over when Obama made it very clear of what he said.

November 5, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  19. Denise Groves

This is not good news for those KKK people is it? The GOP has nobody to blame but themselves

November 5, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  20. Hooray for Marx!

WANTED: Nice, large parcel of land in the Rockies, where the world's producers can hide out for the next few years (possibly 8-12) as the looters and moochers drag the globe into worldwide collapse and socialism. Call John Galt.

November 5, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  21. Lost in Texas

Some of you haters out there need to put a sock in it. What I saw on the stage tonight is what America really looks like, white, black, young , old all together being united and going to work for a common cause. You far right wingers and sore losers need to regroup because it was the divisive campaign that helped sink the McCain ticket. I feel sorry for Sen McCain because he is a good man that had a failed group and VP running his show. If the GOP plans to get it's act back together one thing they need to do is be DIVERSE. The USA is a country of many colors and backgrounds..USE them..show that in your races and offices. Stop the hating and move on all you're doing is hurting yourselves.

November 5, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  22. White Happy Man

Welcome back Freedom !!!!

November 5, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  23. Al

Hey Walt in Belton...
    He just did!

November 5, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  24. Anne in Georgia

More than anything, I'm glad that the PUMAs divisive acts didn't prevent Obama from winning. I really admire how Hillary Clinton put our party first by supporting President Elect Obama.

This is definitely a memorable night!

November 5, 2008 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  25. Al

A special Thanks to IOWA! You opened the door to change. Had Obama not won there in the primaries this never could have happened.

Thanks, IOWA