November 4th, 2008

Exit Polls: How Obama Won VA

(CNN)–African-Americans played a key role in Obama's projected victory in Virginia, a state that has not supported a Democratic candidate for president since 1964. African-Americans comprised 20 percent of the total electorate in Virginia, with 92 percent voting for Obama. Whites - 70 percent of today's voters in Virginia– voted for McCain by a 60 percent to 39 percent margin - a margin higher than that found nationally.

Watch: Supporters pack Obama rally in Chicago

As elsewhere, Obama drew heavily among Virginia's younger voters (60 percent), first-time voters (63 percent), those most worried about the direction of the economy (54 percent) and those opposed to the U.S. war in Iraq (79 percent).

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Virginia
  1. Davange, NC

THANK YOU AMERICAN!!! NOW LET US UNIT IN ONE VOICE.. WE ARE THE "UNITED" STATES OF AMERICA.. IT IS TIME FOR RACISM TO DIE AS OF TONIGHT...

LETS WORK TOGETHER!!

November 4, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  2. S. James

Virginia is ready for change!!! Proud to be a native Virginian!!

November 4, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  3. concernedinSC

We will see where we are in 4 years–and see who is blamed with a democratic party controlled government.

November 4, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  4. puppydoggangsta

yaa doggg!

November 4, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  5. 60 YO white female , Springfield, VA

I knew Virginia would come through for Obama !
    It's a great night !!!

November 4, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  6. Mabel - VA

I am from Virginia, and I can't express how excited I am!! I feel like my vote has really counted for the first time in many many years!!

November 4, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  7. Unbelievable

Something tells me that when 92% of African Americans vote for an African American, then racism IS at work - just "backwards" racism. I agree that one should not vote based on skin color. Then why did 92% of blacks vote for a black man. Seems fishy.

November 4, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  8. Seattle Smiles

Thomas Jefferson once said that we need to have a revolution every 20 years to clean out the graft in government...

For the first time since the Founding Fathers, the president will actually reflect his constituency – in all its variety – in a bloodless coup!

Welcome to the Obama Nation!

November 4, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  9. Anonymous

If it is not about race, then why is that 600,000 african americans who were registered to vote last election, but didn't, voted this year and greater than 90% voted for Obama.

November 4, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  10. L. Bishop

I thank God to be a black female in VA, and I know my vote counted...

November 4, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Martin Luther King Jr said I had a dream.....
    It looks like his dream came true!!!
    Congrats President Obama!!!

November 4, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  12. Chuka Onya

GOD BLESS PRESIDENT OBAMA!!!!!
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

November 4, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  13. dennis overton

I am of the opinion that president-elect Obama will be the FIRST president to lead ALL Americans.

November 4, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  14. Johnson

I love obama

November 4, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  15. I.Osipova

I was watching very closely this election.American people made smart decision,I would consider this like a revolution in people's mind.
    Bravo America! Can't wait to sart voting next election.

November 4, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  16. USA CITIZIN

once upon the time voting for the meet not the crap. thanks Virginia..go obama wish you good luck.GOD bless all of US

November 4, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  17. J1

This is the awaited proof that racism as an institution in the US has died long ago. In the best case, it has only remained as difference of skin color between people, which is at the same level as the difference between sexes, eye color, hair color, height, weight, intelligence and everything else that makes us unique.
    I congratulate the American people with a historic victory!

Now, if only you could improve the education...

November 4, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  18. Jane

Go O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Let's fix America!!!!!!!!!

November 5, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  19. is there hope

I agree with anonymous.
    Is there any hope that any kind of racism will be gone?

November 5, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  20. Anonymous

o well, Obama should be a good leader, both canadates did a great job but Obama came out on top, this black vs white crud really subsided because we have so many yunger voters, yay!!!

November 5, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  21. Mauricio Aguinaga

The United States democratically reinvented itself, it showed the world that still is the land of opportunity, even going through economic discouraging times. Just think countries that consider themselves as the most democratic in the world such as France would never even think on having an Algerian descendent president in many years to come.

This election overcome race and shortminded mentality and I hope will lead the US on great times to come. Congratulations to the US

November 5, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  22. Anonymous

1st – the word is CEASE not seize

2nd – he played the race card very well, and so did the African-American voter

3rd – I like the MAN, I like his VIEWS, everything else is wasted energy and shouldn't matter

November 5, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  23. Franklin Onuchukwu

American voters today,won a battle against TRADITIONALISM by voting for a change they need.well done YANKEES.

November 5, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  24. grace sendifa

congratz Obama think 1st thing is to bring back the us troops you need to cut budget spending also.we needed change we were missing a democrat touch.

November 5, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |