November 4th, 2008

Exit Polls: The Religion Factor

Acording to exit polls, John McCain is winning among America's Protestants but Barack Obama took the Catholics.

Among voters surveyed, 55 percent identified themselves as Protestant. They went for McCain by 53 percent to 45 percent.

While some Catholic bishops stressed the Church's opposition to abortion rights as the most-important issue for the faithful to consider, Catholics - who made up 26 percent of the voters today - went for Obama 53 percent to 45 percent.

Jewish voters - 2 percent of the electorate today - went heavily for Obama: 78 percent to 21 percent.

Twelve percent of those surveyed today say responded "none" when asked about their religion. They went for Obama 76 percent to 22 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. OBAMA/BIDEN SUPPORTER

Im glad that they see the bigger picture. Sarah Palin messed up this campaign. She knows, wait all her followers know Barack is not a terrorist. The McCain/Palin campaign promoted ignorance and racism. I am glad that it is almost over!!

November 4, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  2. Matt Basham

I voted Obama, but would like to say its a shame Rove and Bush smeared McCain in 2000. This election seems more a reflection on how miserable the Bush administration was rather than a reflection on John McCain's abilities and credentials.

November 4, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  3. PAGAN PALIN, DOES NOT HAVE A CHRISTIAN VALUE IN HER MORALLY BANKRUPT BLACK HEART OR CHRSITAN THOUGHT IN THAT VOID BENEATH THE ‘50’S BEEHIVE!

America has said no to the rabid right religious fascists in the Reptilian Party!!!!

Also, someone notify the half-wit that “God’s will has been done” for America!!!

November 4, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  4. sandee in Portland

You can count me as one of the Catholics that voted for Obama. McCain/Palin being anti-abortion wasn't enough to offset the issues currently facing our country.

November 4, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  5. No Hillary = No Obama

What about the sexism factor? Hillary was smeared while Obama was hailed. You call this a win? I call it a sham.

November 4, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  6. Jay Ontario Canada

no one has said no to the right, What you have said no to is mis information. The Religion Factor is not the human factor.

November 4, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  7. CTurner, Durham, NC

And in North Carolina the atheists turned out in droves for Kay Hagen. Congrats to her and all the other godless candidates who are beating the heck out of the GOP.

November 4, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  8. Richard Dawkins

Proof that athiests are better citizens.

November 4, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  9. Florida Independent for Obama

I am a christian voter. Wait let me back and say I am a pastor's kid who voted for Obama. Why? I don't think spewing hate and reciting lies should be rewarded.

November 4, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  10. Independent white female patriotic voter

May God bless our president elect and may he bless the soul of "TooT" his grandma who did not make it through this election. I am so happy to know that she had the opportunity to vote by absentee ballot for her grandson and I tip my hat to her and say that I am grateful to her for raising such an amazing man! I cannot wait till it is officially announced! " Barack Obama the next president of the USA"
    God bless the USA

November 4, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  11. Lost in Texas

TAKE THAT Dr. Dobson...you don't have to be an far right zealot to believe and trust in God! Focus THAT with your family.

November 4, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  12. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Justice prevailed, a long time coming and I hope John McCain's disabled ex-wife is alive and well to witness what has been in the making for years.

November 4, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  13. KJL

Interesting. Religion should be kept in church, where it belongs, not in schools or government. I've noticed that it's the laws of this country, not the fear of the lord, that makes its citizens behave themselves.

November 4, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  14. Leo in San Antonio Texas

I am a catholic Texan who voted for Obama. Only a very silly person could imagine that a ban on abortion would stop it. responsible and caring social policy is the way to go. This is what we heard from Obama's reasoned stance on the polemic abortion issue. The lies, deceit and lack of concern for the poor and disenfranchised (the ones that Christians are asked to care for) by the Republican ticket is very shameful.

November 4, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  15. allen

This election sends a powerful message to the right wing nuts. hanity, o'riley, and all of fox fixed news. I voted for bush in the last election and now Obama is going to run this great country for ALL AMERICANS. I'M GLAD YOUR FILTH IS OVER. BY THE WAY.... I'M BLACK.

November 4, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  16. COLORADO

Catholics outnumber evangelicals, so no surprise there, but still, thank you, Catholics, you made the right choice! Now we can rebuild America!

November 4, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  17. David

I witnessed my baby on the screen at 21 weeks for the first time and all I can say is shame on those who have put abortion to the side as a serious issue. The selfish people who argue for abortion have never witnessed the miracle of life and care only about themselves. That is it and there is not argument... choose life because without it this world will die.

November 4, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  18. Griff

There is no Religion Factor! When will the rest of the World, grow up?
    Three billion years this _Planet has existed... Your stupid Religion came around 2000yrs ago... Where was your God for the other 2 Billion Plus....Stuck in the Same Mud as Barack Obama, and the rest of CNN..

November 4, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  19. Megan

the only resion that OBAMA won is because there is nothing but sheep in this country, wave a little bling in front of them and they will follow you in to the pits of hell!!! which by the way is where we as a country will be in 2 years.

Is it raining money from the trees yet.

November 4, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  20. Paula

Either way will be God's will, rather it will be to punish us for turning our backs on him or bless the nation as he has done since the beginnings of America

November 4, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  21. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Glad to see this result because it actually reflects the reality of people being centered in their life principles, values and also decision-making!

Age has nothing to do in this election just like racism and sexism!

Military heroes has never been elected as President and this is why people still admire America! We have enough military minds around the world messing things up!

Mr. McCain could have chosen a new direction...he kept the last eight years attitude dictate his own words and actions in this campaign!

If there is one thing I have learn in my young 43 years of age is to appreciate other generations for their past contributions but also the respect towards this generation who has not been able to see clearly and stay in touch and be driving on the wrong side of history. I think President Obama and millions of americans still have and will continue to have a deep respect for Mr. McCain especially when we get to see back the real John McCain, the one in this campaign was not John McCain! God Bless you!

November 4, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  22. Paul akhere

Thank u cnn. How is u s election

November 4, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  23. Diane Dagenais Turbide

CONGRATULATIONS MR. PRESIDENT OBAMA!

AMERICA WELCOME BACK TO THE WORLD!

November 4, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  24. Peter (CA)

As a Catholic, I am distressed to see my Church selling its soul to the Republican Party. I was disgusted to see the "leaders" turn their backs on Kerry (a Catholic!) to support an ignorant warmonger. They expected us to do it again, but looks like some people voted their own interest.

Abortion is a deeply personal issue. Why don't the bishops speak out just as loudly against war, poverty, environmental degradation, the death penalty, and the struggles of working families?

Some day I hope my Church finds its conscience.

November 4, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  25. A Catholic for Obama

I agree with Sandee – I am also a Catholic who voted for Obama. Although I am heartily against abortion, there were just too many other "Pro-life" issues at stake. It's time to heal the wounds that that far right created among all Christians.

November 4, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |