November 4th, 2008

First time voters go heavily Obama

Antoine Owens-Davis, 19, and D'nise Smith, 18, wait to vote for the first time in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

In early exit polling, first-time voters are breaking overwhelmingly for Sen. Barack Obama. 72 percent report say they voted for Obama, compared with 27 percent for McCain. First-time voters compose 10 percent of the total national electorate thus far.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. mama4obama

wooooohooooo!

November 4, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  2. Vicki5

Bottom line...Obama empowers people, and that is key – in this case, it is key to the white house :)

November 4, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  3. Mary

so happy to hear that first time voters are going for Obama.
    I switched parties to vote for Obama.
    HE WILL BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT

November 4, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  4. mbg

Okay here another corrupt Alaska elected offical U.S. Rep. Don Young is under criminal investigation. great first Stevens, Palin before you are elected VP clean up your own state you cant control them so why should any one elect you

November 4, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  5. Sad in Ohio

Well, I guess we'll find out in a few years if it was the 'right' thing to do or just happened to be the 'cool' thing to do. I'm guessing we'll find out it's just another 4 years, and it was just the 'cool' thing to do and there really wont be much 'change'

November 4, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  6. Chris

This is truly an amazing number. Should give Obama a 350+ landslide.

November 4, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  7. Carla

I am so looking forward to hearing and seeing Obama tonight. As one of the lucky ones chosen for a ticket to the rally, I am going to relish in all the glory of history being made! A President FOR the people – like it's supposed to be!

November 4, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  8. Lucia

I dont care what others think but I think that today is the day to vote for a president that will make a change for this country. I president who has knowledge and one who can lead thee United States of America. I vote for Barack Obama

November 4, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  9. Obama-Biden 08

Not a first time voter, but 22 so I guess I fit into the "young" vote.

IN YOUR FACE!

November 4, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  10. Kyle Crow

That is ridiculous, just because it is a big change, all the first timers have to jump on it without even seeing the views of both sides and the comparisons. I do not get what people are seeing in obama except "change". John McCain should win this. If not then we are in for it.

November 4, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  11. Indiana_Chris

I am a young voter... I wish we could have write-in's on the ballot.....

I would nominate SNOOP DAWG!

Cant do worse than the current one, and I would feel a lot more safe with him IN da' HOUUUUUSE

November 4, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  12. James

I think it's ashame that people have to resort to tactics such as the tex and/or e-mail hoax asking people to wait to vote until tomorrow. That just goes to show the level in which people will sink to, for their owe personal gains. And no one should be excluded nor turned away from voting "freely"!

November 4, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  13. KLEE

Thank you Jacked-up-Politics, Florida!! way to go! I'm not a first time voter – but I am highly motivated by Senator Barack Obama. Got my fingers crossed.........It would be so nice to see a President in the White House that will bring the Nations standing back up in the world and inspire Americans from all walks of life!

November 4, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  14. Kathie, Houston TX

My son, a first time voter, proudly stood with me in line to vote. I couldn't have been proudier of him. All the way Obama/Biden

November 4, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  15. Zack

NObama 08

November 4, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  16. Kelly

I am an 18 year old Hispanic voter. I Voted for CHANGE with great pride. My experience as a first time voter was filled with a great sense of duty to fight for the betterment of America. I felt my vote was key in this battleground state that is Florida. I therefore encouraged many of my peers and even my mother, who is a first time voter as well. While i was waiting in line, an elderly woman who was working as part of the volunteer staff looked down at me and said "You young kids are the future you know...sooner or later we'll be handing in everything to your control". As she said that i saw the lady behind me smirk, and couldn't help but share her thoughts: "Before we hand in everything to our children and grandchildren, we have a lot in our hands to mend and change". I have great hope that Senator Barack Obama will be the one to drive America not just into a new chapter of change, but the RIGHT CHANGE.

November 4, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  17. Sumukh Aryal ( Canada)

Go Obama!!!!

November 4, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  18. Britta - FT Hood, TX

I'm 39 years old, married to a Lieutenant Colonel in the Army and a first time voter. Barack Obama is the first politician EVER to actually inspire me to register, much less vote, in a presidential election. I am so looking forward to the results tonight!

November 4, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  19. Tat

Lots of these first time voters are likely teenagers and college kids. They just don't want to have to face their friends tomorrow morning and say they didn't vote for Obama. It's not the cool thing to do.

Let's put some voting machines in the mall food court. You may have missed some potential voters hanging out there.

November 4, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  20. Eva

My son is a first time voter this year, and there are many many McCain voters out there as well. McCain is also inspiring to alot of youth in America. My son has been actively campaigning since August and will continue to help the Republican Party after this election.

November 4, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  21. COLORADO

It's beginning! Big party in Grant Park in Chicago tonight! Be there!

November 4, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  22. Red, Red WHINE!!

When the day is done, let the republicans lay in the bed they have made. Today is pay back, and we're making it clear. Republicans are no longer welcome in this country as a whole...they can only fool the dumb ones from here on out. The smart people are back out and taking it back. NO MORE REPUBLICANS EVER! They are the scum of the earth and represent all that is wrong with america. They are domestic terrorists. If you need help finding the dumb ones, just look for states that are painted red when this is done.

Stupid is as stupid does, stupid is a place called "red on the electoral map"

November 4, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  23. KJL

I'm a new American voting in my first election so I didn't have any loyalty to a party. I'm also older and white. I looked at both candidates carefully, and chose Obama because of his intelligence, cool head, and ability to work with others. That was before Palin, which would have eliminated McCain immediately.

November 4, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  24. Nate

That is expected, first time voters tend to be young, uninformed and or in college and have yet to experience the real world (e.g. job, paying taxes, mortgage, kids, etc). They tend to vote for the 'cool' guy rather than vote on the issues...pretty sad if you ask me. I did the same thing when I first voted.

November 4, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |