November 4th, 2008

First time voters go heavily Obama

Antoine Owens-Davis, 19, and D'nise Smith, 18, wait to vote for the first time in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

In early exit polling, first-time voters are breaking overwhelmingly for Sen. Barack Obama. 72 percent report say they voted for Obama, compared with 27 percent for McCain. First-time voters compose 10 percent of the total national electorate thus far.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Vanessa

i am one of them too!
    OBAMA!!!!

November 4, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  2. Kyla

I'm a first time voter who won't be voting for Obama

November 4, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  3. John

It's SHOWTIME ladies and gentlemen. Saddle up and watch history live on CNN.

November 4, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  4. Megan

I voted for Obama and i'm a first time voter.
    He really is an empowering person. I will keep my fingers crossed
    that he pulls it into the white house!

November 4, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  5. kyle

I think alot of young Americans are going from apathetic to independent in this election cycle. And the independent young mind is favoring Obama.

November 4, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  6. Benjamin

Let's face it, Americans have the chance to vote for a woman or a non-white for president/VP. This in itself gives enthusiasm to the voting process. Forty three white men for President and forty three white men for vice president has been the story of our history. But that cycle will at least be half broken after today. Rejoice America, change is finally coming. The change may even go beyond our wildest imaginations. A government for the people by the poeple............ remember hearing that somewhere? Don't worry , be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  7. Tracy

Yeah, we rocked the VOTE GO 'BAMA !!!

November 4, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  8. katiec

Hey ignore Campbell Brown. She has shown her true colors
    over and over and that is RED.
    Breathlessly await the outcome of this election.
    Know the American voters will do what is best for this country
    and support Barack Obama and Joe Biden.
    It is our survival.

November 4, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  9. SHM

Yes we can ! Yes we did !

November 4, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  10. Bob

If those first time voters are of college age I wonder if they would accept the following from Obama. Let's say there is a hard working student who is very bright who earns high grades. Let's say this student has a perfect 4.0 GPA. Now we have another student who isn't quite as bright nor is that student studying as often as they should. That student has a 2.0 GPA. In the equivalent of Obama's tax plan, the Dean of Students should take one full grade point average from the hard working more successful student and give it to the student who is not performing very well. If hard working students understood such a tactic is precisely what Obama has in mind for those that have moved beyond school into the working world then I susepct his popularity would not be as great with our younger voters.

November 4, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  11. Juanita

Obama was who I voted for.... I voted 7 a.m. Goooooo Obama!!!!!

12. PS

I feel Obama will be the one. He has what it takes to get the country in the right direction. I bugs me when they make the statement that he has no experience to lead the country as the president. Well no one that is a first time as a president has experience as the president. But I feel he will do a terrific job. Better then we have had in 8 years...

13. Laurie

I am not one of those first time voters that voted for Barack! I am very proud to say that I am a REPUBLICAN!!!

14. NOBAMA

I DON'T MEAN TO SOUND JUDGMENTAL. BUT TO BE HONEST, MAINSTREAM PUBLICITY IS FOR OBAMA. WHATS MAINSTREAM? RAP MUSIC. ALL THESE YOUNG PEOPLE ARE NOT AWARE OF HOW THIS COUNTRY WAS FOUNDED, NOT TOO MENTION MOST YOUNG MINORITIES ONLY CARE TO SEE A PRESIDENT IN THE OFFICE OF COLOR. ITS BEEN YEARS WE HAVE TRIED TO INVOLVE THE YOUTH IN VOTING, THEY SIMPLY DIDN'T CARE, AN THOSE WHO DID , DID WHAT THEY HAD TO , TO MAKE A EDUCATED VOTE. AND IT TOOK A MAN OF COLOR TO GET THE YOUTH INVOLVED. McCAIN 2008!!! BECAUSE I LOVE THIS COUNTRY AND HAVENT FORGOTTEN WHAT IT WAS FOUNDED FROM, GOD. ONE NATION UNDER GOD.

15. Denver Dem

Go get'em Kiddos, I am so stoked that this country is now going to be run by the younger generations and not decided by people who are losing their minds in their 70s. Get ready for real American progression, time to make ourselves a good example for the rest of the world.

16. jim

this country is heding down the wrong road with obama at the helm people are mesled by his carisma and insperation we dont need insperation for dreams we need a leader........

17. Bonnie

What can we expect from Obama? Oh yeah, higher taxes.

18. Meg from Colorado

Younger voters are more informed about what is happening in this nation via the internet and other websites such as CNN.com, so it is no surprise to me that 72 percent have already voted for Obama. The young can see through the negative rhetoric of OLDER politicians for what it is – simply desperate maneuevering. Kudos to the younger generation for being more knowledgeable about the problems of this nation and what is needed to fix it. Stop Bush's 8 years of failed policies. Go Obama!

November 4, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  19. Sumukh Aryal ( Canada)

The whole world is behind Obama. We don't want Bush people anymore!

20. John

I'm 25 and I can say most of my generation is misinformed, or has no clue as to the reality of the issues in the election. It's a shame that democrats CAUSED the mortgage crisis starting with the community reinvestment act, NOW they want to "spread the wealth" and will be unchecked in the government if Obama wins. Taxes will go through the roof, businesses will just leave. We'll see 50%+ taxes again.

21. Benz

The youths are the future of this country and the world and they are smart to vote for a president that will be on the same level in understanding the future and breaking barrers in diversity which is and should be the symble of USA.
    The adult first time voters- FTV had a vision that prompted them to be part of this history.
    Congratulations to all first time voters.

22. Nutnut

WE LOVEEEE YOU OBAMA!!!

23. Steve Wilcox

I volunteered in Hammond, Indiana for OBAMA today. Over 200 others showed up to getout the vote –and there was very large number of young-first time voters present! McCain ran a campaign of fear and insult - Obama gave us a campaign of HOPE! Hope Flotats!!!!!!!

24. FY

This is the 5th election since I have been of age (34yo) and this is the 1st one I voted in... give you 3 guesses for who.

BHO

25. expat 27 yr old first time voter

First time ever I felt fired up! and ready to go!

November 4, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |