November 4th, 2008

First time voters go heavily Obama

Antoine Owens-Davis, 19, and D'nise Smith, 18, wait to vote for the first time in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

In early exit polling, first-time voters are breaking overwhelmingly for Sen. Barack Obama. 72 percent report say they voted for Obama, compared with 27 percent for McCain. First-time voters compose 10 percent of the total national electorate thus far.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Let's color Texas Blue

48y/o w/f Christian...voted Obama/Biden 08

November 4, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  2. Miranda in NV

I know a lot of first time voters voting for Obama. Some even have parents voting for McCain, but once they're in that voting booth alone, no one can tell them who to vote for.

OBAMA BIDEN 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whooooohooo!

November 4, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  3. McCain Man

No, Obama is getting first time voters because he is the "cool" pick. He's trendy, McCain's not. Plus, college kids think they're all liberal and rebellious. Obama will be a puppet in the White House. McCain won't be. But I guess our country just needs to find this out the hard way. Obama will give you a fish. McCain will give you a rod. Obama's health care program will set us back ages. McCain is lobbying to reprimand corrupt insurance companies, and fix our current system. Voting Obama takes this country one step closer to Socialism. Don't believe me? Obama's public health care program is a perfect example of having the government run your life. Nobama. McCain '08.

November 4, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  4. Topher Grant

The young voters have all bought the HYPE. NObama!

November 4, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  5. Hilary

Cause Americans want a uniter, not a divider. Obama cares for ALL Americans, not just a select few.

November 4, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  6. fhtmcoach.com

I'm Canadain but my roots are from the US. Were all rooting for Barrack up here.
    US voters it's time to send a BIG MESSAGE to the White House. We are all happy to see the "Bush" curse go.

November 4, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  7. J

Susie, your comments really sting and it sounds like you don't know much about mcuh. I hope an Obama presidency will help us all to strive to be better.

November 4, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  8. Red, Red WHINE!!

Susie November 4th, 2008 6:34 pm ET
    You are probably white trailer trash.

Sincerely,
    A rich white democrat that hates white racists and stupid people...like Susie.

November 4, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  9. Aaron

Comments like those from Indiana_Chris are precisely why this country is in trouble.

November 4, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  10. Matt

Obama is curing political apathy.

November 4, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  11. Selwyn Mancao

I've been watching the U.S.presidential election process and I want to know if you could explain to me the electoral votes in order for either Obama or McCain to win. Thank you.

November 4, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  12. Amy

Plenty of us parents of school aged children are also Obama voters. Sarah Palin ruined McCain's chances. Far too divisive!

Amy in MN

November 4, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  13. JROD

AM FIRST TIME VOTER. FOR OBAMA FROM PA.

November 4, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  14. McCain Man

Eva,
    Encourage your son to continue to be knowledgeable about politics, instead of following the crowd. If people knew who they were voting for, I'd bet McCain would be in the House.

November 4, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  15. Brock

With turning 18 in September, I was very anxious to have my first vote ever for the first Black president ever.

November 4, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  16. Annette

This was my first time voting and I drove 45 minutes to my hometown to cast my vote for Obama.

November 4, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  17. Ike

Its about time for a change, we have seen incompetence for too long. We need someone who is gonna look out for us, Humans are not perfect. What if your down on your luck, who is gonna take care of you? Is a conservative gonna take care of you? Economy is to wishy washy to be taking any chances. Do you know what your stocks are gonna do tommorow? For now I have lost lots of money on stocks. I am glad that is not my only source of income. What if my company suddenly had to make job cuts and I had to stop working. Who would take care of me? I am voting OBAMA.

November 4, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  18. Matt Salit.

Obamas not gonna change crap for the good...Its a subconcious thing, this change...cause he himself is african american, which itself is change. Making you believe his promises of change and ignore the facts against him. Iam dissappointed. He shouldnt even be qualified to run for president, he couldnt even get a job at the LAPD cause his ties to Ayers, i dont understand why nobody cares about that, wich is why he'll probably win, cause no one give a hoot.

November 4, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  19. 1stbroker

This is great!! I am proud of the younger generation for being so grounded. They get alot of flack but voting and their turnout shows that they have a voice and they want to be heard. Obama/Biden ran a campaign that spoke to the people on an intelligent level. McCain/Palin has tried every trick in the book. No matter how I tried to weigh the issues, there campaign was so clouded with non-issues I just couldn't consider there ticket. Remember: small minds talk about people and great minds talk about ideas!!! We should always remember that.

November 4, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  20. Mikey

Lets face it, the bottom line is, everyone is sick of the Republican Party.

Also, how many times has John McCain 'ran' for President and not made it out of the primaries?

The only reason he is the nominee now is because there wasn't anyone else.

November 4, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  21. snugglez

I am so glad this is almost OVER! nonetheless, we are getting a president that just doesn't care about himself and his oil fields in iraq, this has been a long time A-coming!

November 4, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  22. Robert Lombard

Ashamed to admit it but at 63 years of age this was the first time I have ever voted......

........... PROUD to say I voted for the Obama/Biden ticket !

Opinion.. Mr. McCain is told old to be running the country. At 63 I can say for a fact that at this age one is not as sharp. And sorry but Ms. Palin is beyond a total wacko.

November 4, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  23. A Concerned Customer

Well, it appears like Obama is going to win, doesn't it. Obama’s policies sure sound great, don’t they? Tax the rich, give it to the poor and everything will be better. Does nobody realize they have tried this before? Does nobody realize how many times they have tried this before? Does nobody realize it has never worked? Ever? I often wonder why we are going to get a president like Obama. Then i realize that there are so many people out there who have never taken a basic economics course. So many people who think its possible to get something for nothing. In my opinion, if that’s how ignorant so many people in America are, then hell, we deserve a president like Obama.

November 4, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  24. Lara

Kyle: Like we are not " in for it now"!?

You may not like Obama or even like his values, but one thing is for certain: THAT DUDE IS WICKEDLY SMART! Let's put it this way, if that shall we say, not-so-smart president put us AND THE WORLD in a mess, I don't think Obama could do worse IF HE WAS TRYING!!!!!

GO OBAMA GO!!!

November 4, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  25. latinvoter

That is correct. For the first time people have felt important. Obama has reached out and made us realize the importance of what can we DO for our Nation. Voting empower us. He is the one who open our eyes to new possibilities. In order to achieve great results we must stay together. He has the spirit, intelligence and guts to get the job done.

November 4, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |