November 4th, 2008

First time voters go heavily Obama

Antoine Owens-Davis, 19, and D'nise Smith, 18, wait to vote for the first time in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

In early exit polling, first-time voters are breaking overwhelmingly for Sen. Barack Obama. 72 percent report say they voted for Obama, compared with 27 percent for McCain. First-time voters compose 10 percent of the total national electorate thus far.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Clare Walker

If I were a US citizen (I live in Canada and Cdn citizen) I would be so very proud to be able to vote for B Obama. what a statesman. They don't come much better than that. Clare

November 4, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  2. mike

if we are going to put them at the food court for youth to vote then why dont we put them at the nascar track where 70,000 trash people can vote mccain!!

November 4, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  3. Jumpin Jack Flash

Eva,

You and you son need to leave Darth Vader and his evil minions and step into the light.

November 4, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  4. Cookie

I'm a first time voter even though I have was able to vote the last two elections. I waited 6 hours to vote for Barack Obama.

November 4, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  5. Jim

I was a stupid first time voter once myself. I voted for Jimmy Carter. At least their vitriolic rhetoric (see above) will end very soon.

November 4, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  6. Not Fooled in Chicago

Unfortunately, most young voters are living with their heads up their holes just as Obama is. It's not surprising that they swing toward him. He did however do a great job of getting them involved.

November 4, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  7. lista

I would like to know why is it OK to vote for someone because of color.....but if you do not vote for a person because of color it is racist??
    Could someone please tell me that.....
    AND before you think you know.......I AM AFRICAN AMERICAN!!!!!!!
    I would NEVER vote for someone because of ANY color.......
    What does that say about a person,,,,,,,,.............it says they are RACIST – NO MATTER WHAT COLOR THEY ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  8. Peter Canuck

mccain is an old man. why would young people want their grandpa to represent their concerns? last time i checked, my grandpa didn't know what an ipod was. yeah, no thanks.

November 4, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  9. Savannha

IF Obama wins, you all will be standing in unemployment lines because all of the illegal aliens he so happily welcomes in our country will be taking your jobs. Socialism will replace democracy. Share the wealth, baby! Work hard and give your money to EVERYONE who needs it. That is the OBAMA WAY!

November 4, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  10. Amanda

Tat, I think you should have a wake up call and see that many young people are aware of the issues in the world today. Whether they are voting democrat or republican, they are not just running around voting on peer pressure.

November 4, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  11. Maverickpoet

I've never voted till now. I registered as Independant in CA and voted Obama/Biden. I also voted against all Republicans on the ticket as well.

November 4, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  12. allen cohen

Considering that the last 8 years have been the worst for this country and the world since the 1929 Depression, and Senator McCain has voted with this president 90 % of the time, it is not surprising, that I believe, the majority of the voting electorate will vote for Senator Obama to become our next President. We need to help our people instead of spending 10 billion dollars per month in Iraq, a country that has been at war with its neighbors for hundreds of years, and after we leave the same will be true. We need to undersand as a country that by being ageressive against countries and leaders whom we do not like, will only increase the number of countries and leaders whom do not like us. We cannot make war upon every country we do not like !

November 4, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  13. Niels Chew

Relatives in Denmmark and England are actually praying for Obama.
    They know what Ameirca needs, they want to love us once again.t

November 4, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  14. Johanna Werbach

My six year old son said to me tonight, "This is a historic election because it's the first time a black man might be president." I told him that was very exciting but what's more important is that we agree with Obama's view of the role government has in our country, and how America is seen in the rest of the world. It doesn't matter if the candidate is purple, or green, or polka dot, we should support him (or her) if we agree with how they want to run our country.

November 4, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  15. Eric

No one can be expected to get something right on the first try. ;)

November 4, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  16. Sandy

I am 37 years old and recently became a U.S citizen so I am a first time voter. I am voting Obama because he can inspire people and is very charismatic.

November 4, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  17. Suzy

They don't want to tell their friends that they didn't vote for Obama?

Oh please. Get a backbone. If he's man enough to make the decision, he should be man enough to stand by it.

November 4, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  18. Mike from CA

I voted for Obama and I happily can say I never voted for the failure known as president Bush.

November 4, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  19. BJ Moritz

So what I'm reading is young voters are ignorant if they're voting for McCain. This is my second presidential election (I am 24 years old) and I have been following it all every day, a couple times a day, for over a year. And I'm voting for Obama because I am an EDUCATED voter. Not because I'm young and it's the "cool" thing to do. You older folk need to get over the fact that we do care, and we're SICK of Republicans!

November 4, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  20. Amy

Based on some of these comments, you'd think the voice of today's youth doesn't matter.

I'm just very happy to see people go out and vote. Four years back I convinced someone very close to me to start voting, and it meant a lot. Today we both went and voted for Obama. It was a very exciting experience.

November 4, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  21. tonysoprano

to all vote for obama or i will send my guys around to have a little talk with you

November 4, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  22. djak

I'm a first time voter. It was listening to Obama speak during the primaries that prompted me to register and pay attention this election season. I always said in past elections "I don't want to be responsible for putting those bozo's in office" so I lived my life in poverty and ignored politics. Thankfully, with age often comes wisdom. I'm never letting another election go by without my voice being heard.

November 4, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  23. HARRY COOK

Please do not predict too early who has won a state(s) like CNN's Judy Woodruff did in 2000 – according to a recent WSJ article last week, her "jumping the gun" discouraged hundreds of thousands of Democrat s from going to the polls in both Florida and midwest states thinking Gore had won those states when in actuality he hadn't. It would be a monumental travesty if this historic election was adversely influenced by CNN and other news organizations because of their desire to be the first news organization to "call" a state for Obama or McCain – please let the election run its natural course and "bite" your tongue this year.

Sincerely,
    Harry E. Cook, Geologist

November 4, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  24. Nick

I first voted in 2006 (I turned 18 in late 2005), but this is my first presidential race. Why waste my vote on two candidates who are very similar to one another in their foundational ideology? That's why I voted for Dr. Chuck Baldwin, a true American.

November 4, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  25. jaci

i'm a first time voter. most young adults and college students like myself are voting for Obama, sorry to break the news. And a facebook status from one of my "friends" said not to vote today and to wait till tomorrow. This is so ridiculous and annoying. I am so nervous for McCain to be in office. I am terrified!

November 4, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |