November 4th, 2008

First time voters go heavily Obama

Antoine Owens-Davis, 19, and D'nise Smith, 18, wait to vote for the first time in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

In early exit polling, first-time voters are breaking overwhelmingly for Sen. Barack Obama. 72 percent report say they voted for Obama, compared with 27 percent for McCain. First-time voters compose 10 percent of the total national electorate thus far.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Sumukh Aryal ( Canada)

Please please vote for Obama. Whole world is requesting all Americans to vote for Obama. America needs Obama now. All american citizens please vote for Obama. Please go to voting poll and vote for Obama. Still few hours left.

Obama !! Obama!!!

2. Ike

Didn't Mark Furman Work for the LAPD?

3. debrasaffold

winners wo wo

4. chris

obama is the least qualified candidate in history. And he has a horific economic plan. If he wins, God help us all.

5. Dale, Roanoke, Va

Eva's comment about her son...quit sheltering your kid. Who would want to vote for someone who needs their Depends changed every half hour.

6. Tat

Red, Red WHINE!!,

If you're truly a rich, white democrat, I hope you enjoy more of your hard earned money being appropriated to support folks like Susie for the next four years.

7. sarah

im 18 and voting for obama and not because im YOUNG or because its the COOL thing to do, its because i educated my self about both canidates then made the decision that i thought was best for the country!! so if Obama wins the youth is right, and the old still SENILE

8. Cristine C.

From a 38 year old, thank you to all of the young and first time voters for exercising your most precious of rights!

9. sjdlajlksdfjsa

You all make it sound like Obama's some sort of angel from heaven....

Jeez... he's a crooked politician like the rest of them... He is a skilled orator, but that's about all I can say about him...

If you listen to WHAT he says more than HOW he says it... he's really not as much as he's cracked up to be...

But so many of you dumb people are so enthralled by him, it looks like he's going to be the next President...

I hope we all like the idea of Obama's SSA (Socialist States of America)

10. Susie

I am balck and all I am saying is my people should have stood up and done this a long time ago.

11. Jeremy

Why do people think that voters are turning to Obama because its "cool"? Maybe voters actually see that the economy is in the tank? Or maybe voters realize we have had the most corrupt 8 years of government in our Nation's history? It isn't just about likening McCain to Bush. Its the whole Neo-conservative platform that is turning people away. Not to mention the radical right and its anti-freedom stance with regard to abortion and gay marriage. This is America people, you can do what you want with your own body. I am an independent and I believe in conservative values. But I do not use the bible as my voting guide.

12. nikki

This close-to-middle-age white woman voted for him too! So did my elderly parents, both of whom are registered republicans.

OBAMA/BIDEN!!!

13. Matt Salit.

Obamas not gonna change crap for the good…Its a subconcious thing, this change…cause he himself is african american, which itself is change. Making you believe his promises of change and ignore the facts against him. Iam dissappointed. He shouldnt even be qualified to run for president, he couldnt even get a job at the LAPD cause his ties to Ayers, i dont understand why nobody cares about that, wich is why he'll probably win, cause no one give a hoot

14. Ken in NC

FIRST TIME VOTERS are not stupid like McCain thinks they are and McCain is not as smart as FIRST TIME VOTERS.

November 4, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  15. Lucia

Today, November 4, 2008, will mark a historic point in history when Obama wins. I am still not old enough to vote but hear the cry of a 11 year old "Obama!" We might not know if he will truly make a difference but we can surely hope that he does. Today a Democratic party president will be elected and later he will lead this country. I know that Obama will win! You can see right when you look at him that he has what it takes to lead this country and that he has the knowledge to go along with it. Dont vote for someone you may later regret. Vote for the one who will make a change and no matter what happens he will always be there to do something. Obama will win! Obama will win!

Sincerely,
    Lucy

November 4, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  16. WW

To those that lament that they fear that Obama will not be able to deliver on his promise for 'change': the fact that Obama ran a campaign focused on issues rather than an erratic collection of seemingly random smears is already a testament to his argument for change. I think he generated so much enthusiasm because his campaign was actually efficient and mostly clean of the attack-style politics that have left us all so numb and cynical. Also, he seems genuinely interested in reaching across the aisle to conservatives, unlike Bush who promised to be a 'uniter' but instead established one of the most divisive administrations in recent history. Finally, I think he has generated so much enthusiasm because he is NEW. We're all tired of the same people – do you realize you'd have to go back to the 1976 election to have a presidential campaign ticket without a Bush or Clinton?! If we had embraced Hilary we would be embracing the notion of political dynasties, which is not the american way in my opinion. Obama is eloquent and NEW. Those are my thoughts on why he has generated so much enthusiasm

November 4, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  17. mike

obama!!! from a struggling 1st time voter with a 2 yr old and a house mortgage that will triple this year if i dont refinance

November 4, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  18. flo

Amercans – if you want us to look up to you again – don´t vote for that war-head McCain. We have seen enough of these old men in Power all around the world.

sincerly
    yours Europeans

November 4, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  19. Jay in Florida

Susie this comment by you got my attention "We all knew that every single black person in America that has never voted a day ....". Black Americans have voted for White Americans for decades. Now there is a bi-racial, highly intelligent, faithfully married man as a candidate and you have a problem with people voting for him. Go F yourself.

November 4, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  20. Eric

Susie

Interesting how when the numbers were in your favor since oh, George Washington's time it was all good but not that Blacks are mobilized you are bitter cause some of em 'never voted a day in their lives'. Exactly why we need a transformational figure in the White House. GOBAMA!!!!

November 4, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  21. Rachellie

This is my 3rd presidential election and the last I am going to be voting in. This is the First time I was ever able to vote for a candidate that I wanted to vote for and not just the lesser of 2 evils. Thank you for putting yourself on the ballot Mr. Obama, you made this girl very happy!

November 4, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  22. Laken

I am a first time voter and my vote went to McCain. I can see how biased this website is with their numbers. At the university that I attend, the majority of students are voting for McCain. Many young people out there are attracted to the "hype" of Obama. I am sure many first time voters want to go with what is trendy, and with what their friends say, which tragically is Obama. However, I speak for myself and my friends when I say I am an informed first time voter who thinks John McCain should be our next leader, or we are going to be in a great deal of trouble.

November 4, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  23. Amber

I'm 22... this is my 2nd chance to vote in the presidential election and I'm absolutely HONORED to do so. I voted for Barack Obama because he moves people and if we're ever going to get out of the mess Bush has made for us – we need everyone to pitch in and get involved. I believe in Obama's power to inspire America to do so.

GO OBAMA/BIDEN '08!

November 4, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  24. Ayslinn

Hey Tat.

What are you implying? That the opinions of those, say, 30 and under, don't really matter? So sayeth the heavily condescending tone of your post.

However, these voters DO matter, and so do their opinions... so sayeth the equally-weighted vote every American over the age of 17 recieves.

You don't get more points for being older. Or ruder.
    Every American gets a vote.

November 4, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  25. Anthony

Go McCain!!!!. If Obama Gets It We Can All Quit Work And Stay Home A Get A Check. And Live off Food Stamps. Come on Its Called The "WHITE HOUSE"!!! McCain McCain McCain 08 08 08

November 4, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |