November 4th, 2008

First time voters go heavily Obama

Antoine Owens-Davis, 19, and D'nise Smith, 18, wait to vote for the first time in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

In early exit polling, first-time voters are breaking overwhelmingly for Sen. Barack Obama. 72 percent report say they voted for Obama, compared with 27 percent for McCain. First-time voters compose 10 percent of the total national electorate thus far.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. westpark

I don't dislike McCain, but once he made his Vice-Presidential choice a "gimmick" that was the end of him for me. If he was the man he was in 2000, or even 2004 and stuck with his own ideals rather than selling out to the Republican Party completely, maybe I could have stuck with him.

2. Juanita

Plenty of people I know in Michigan changed from McCain to Obama because he pick Palin... I'm a woman and she is not the right choice for vice-president. McCain is very old and you mean to tell me that if he dies Palin would be President.... I DON'T THINK SO.... What would you rather have in office.... Intelligence or Stupidity.... Hell... we have stupidity in office now.... WE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE NEED CHANGE... NOW.

3. Dan

End Democracy Now.

4. Sue

I haven't voted in years , but I did go out this morning and vote for Obama... my stepson just turned 18 this summer and he voted Obama also... as well as my husband... I'll be watching the election tonight. NJ better give it to Obama

5. angel

I don't think it should be any concern as to whether every black person in America voted or not, BOTTOM LINE is they voted, and the rights have been exercised many many years ago, when it was almost impossible to vote, in previous elections why vote, when things mounted up to be so twisted. Don't be mad because black people are voting, be proud that everyone in AMERICA is doing their part.

6. Minh

Some reasons for Obama to win:
    - Many first time African-American voters vote for Obama
    - Obama is a great speaker.
    - Economy is bad and people want to change.

7. Marian from Scottsdale Arizona

It's about time we get rid of the Bush republican dynasty which has brought this country to it's knees. I am so sick and tired of looking at and hearing John McCain and Palin I could scream!! Instead of playing on our fears and promoting hatred and ignorance, this country needs the leadership of Obama! Thank God we have a real leader, I hope it's a LANDSLIDE!!

November 4, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  8. Toooo late....I voted Dem!

It's on!!!

9. To all Republican die-hards

To all the die-hard Repubs posting angry nonsense on this and other sites: would you please stop foaming at the mouth? only TIME will tell if you are right, so relax and be patient. Dems say that Obama will usher in a new and bright chapter in the American story; that we will see more cooperation, economic stability and social justice. Repubs have been listening to maniacs like Hannity, Coulter and Limbaugh, so they think that the world is going to come to an end. Let's just watch and see, shall we? And in two years, we can meet back here and talk it over calmly. For today, however, you may need some Valium to cope with the Democratic LANDSLIDE that is about to unfold.

10. Mz Leah

Look at the turn out. Imagine the count had the GOP not "created" new ways to purge the rolls. Early this morning Karl Rove said that Sen. Obama will win by a landslide & get about 337 electoral votes.
    When Rove says McCain is a loser...the jig is up ya dig?

11. go blue PA!

Tat (#36)- On that note, if McCain wants more votes he should put voting machines in nursing homes, trailer parks and mental institutions- that's were the majority of his potential voters are lurking.

12. White guy from VA

Finally i can say.... The MAN is keeping ME down.

13. Lee

I must admit. He might take it all the way to the house. I never thought in my life time I would see a black President!!! I talked with my partents and they said the same. We as a people has come a long way from the 60's thank god!!!

oh yeah this was the frist time I voted YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Mark Briggs

I voted 100% Democrat due to the fact that Republicans let greed and corruption go unchecked in their own party. If Republicans had broken ranks to fight corruption and hold themselves more accountable I would have done my usual and placed a mixed ballot. There was scandal after scandal and the Republicans just held strong with the buddy system, well the buddy system goes both ways so the more they stick together the more I see them as one.

15. Anthony

obama is the least qualified candidate in history. And he has a horific economic plan. If he wins, God help us all. McCain 08

16. Daisy

If I can vote for right now, I am definitely will vote for Obama. I like him. Even I have the status in US, i am not allowed to vote yet, so.....I just pray Obama will win and bring us the change we hope.
    OBAMA!!OBAMA!!OBAMA!!

17. Argent

It's a promising number, but psychological analysis suggests young adults' politics have always had a pattern of on average being heavily left wing in the late teens to early 20's, and then the average is heavily right wing into the mid 20's, evening out by the time the generation hits the 30's.

Newly adult young people have independent ideals coinciding with their starting life, and those in their middle 20's who are entering the workforce and some even starting families, look for more comfort in conservative values.

18. Cory

"Fire it up... ready to go!" Change the world...

November 4, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  19. Confused

If Obama stands for change why did he pick a 30 year insider as his VP. Curious why Biden has been under wraps lately! Just wait the only change you will see is in increase in taxes.

November 4, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  20. McCain Man

Obama is a yes man. McCain is experienced. Democrats use smoke and mirrors to make you feel important. You think they care about the older generation? They want your vote. You think they care about the younger generation? They tell you what you want to hear to win your vote, while McCain is going to tell you what he'll do.

November 4, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  21. hello

first time voter. GO OBAMA!

November 4, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  22. leenie

Mt 18 year old son voted for the first time and voted McCain. He voted early.

November 4, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  23. Tom in Texas

To all first time voters. Thank you.... Thank you. I have waited 60 years for this night. If Obama wins, it will have been well worth the wait.

November 4, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  24. Rebecca

I'm not american but i really really wish I was so I could vote, and it would totally be OBAMA!!!
    Living in another country where it doesn't really matter for me, I can still se Obama is the best! He can lead the country indeed, FOR the people, and not BECAUSE OF the people.. I'm sure now everybody can still raise as much money as they want, but poor people will be actually taken care of now too!

November 4, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  25. Sensible Joe

Quite frankly, Tat, on the university campus where this middle-aged registered non-partisan voter works, fresh-faced first-time voters working for the Obama/Biden campaign showed were surprisingly well-informed, thoughtful about their decisions and had done their homework. Their colleagues at the McCain/Palin booth were less convincing, more emotive and came across as having politics rooted in Mom and Dad's choices. A good many young voters aren't quite as immature and driven by zeitgeist as you seem to think.

November 4, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |