November 4th, 2008

African-Americans note symbolism of UCLA voting

UCLA student David Eaton, 25, checks his ballot after voting.
UCLA student David Eaton, 25, checks his ballot after voting.

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) – The historical significance of Tuesday's presidential election has a more poignant meaning for African-American students on the campus of UCLA, where polling began at 10a ET.

Voter turnout is heavy and lines were robust. Campus officials said more than 8,000 new registered voters were expected to turn out among the 30,000-plus student body population.

UCLA is where Ralph Johnson Bunche earned a bachelor's degree and became the first African-American to receive the Nobel Peace Prize in 1950. Legendary hall of fame baseball great Jackie Robinson graduated from here and went on to break the color barrier in Major League Baseball in 1947.

Former Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley was a scholar-athlete here.

Junior Rebecca Aladdin was overwhelmed with emotion because she grew up like Robinson in Pasadena, California, and went to the same middle school as him.

"I am the first one in my family to vote today and it brought me to tears placing my ballot in the box," Alladin said.

She credited her great-grandparents and civil rights pioneers like Robinson and other UCLA predecessors for providing the path toward racial equality in a presidential race.

"This is a moment that brings us closer to that chapter in American history."

Filed under: 2008 Election
  1. Musicpromo Glandale Ca

I could not be more happy! We are going to make history with Obama. It all comes down to today. I'm proud to be an american!

November 4, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  2. Barbara in NC

I think we'll all be happy when Lying Sara is shipped back to moose land.

Obama/Biden

November 4, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  3. Shari, NY

African American students; California = Good news for Obama.

November 4, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  4. Westwood girl

CALIFORNIA... VOTE NO on 8

NO on HATE, NO on 8!!
    NO on HATE, NO on 8!!
    NO on HATE, NO on 8!!
    NO on HATE, NO on 8!!
    NO on HATE, NO on 8!!
    NO on HATE, NO on 8!!
    NO on HATE, NO on 8!!
    NO on HATE, NO on 8!!

November 4, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  5. A Woman In California For Obama

I have a 24 year old son and he and ALL of his many friends are going to vote today. I am so very proud of all the young voters who are turning out. I had a young girl in back of me today when I went to vote who wanted to leave and I am so glad I along with another voter encouraged her to stay and vote. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE hang in there and cast your vote because it DOES matter.

They are already popping champagne here in No. Cal. I just hope they are right. Champagne was leaving the Safeway stores in droves.

Go Obama go!

November 4, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  6. SeriouslyBadVibes

Speaking of student voter turnout, did anything happen with that attempt by the Falwell folks in Virginia to get their own students to turn out in the thousands to try to get a McCain win?

November 4, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  7. Marc in Virginia

I don't make much money so Obama's socialist agenda suits me just fine! Can't wait to get my tax cut and get some money from my idiot neighbor! :)

November 4, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  8. Barbara the PTA "Mawm"

I'm hopeful that American's make history today and choose Barack Obama. I'm hopeful and inspired. Godspeed.

November 4, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  9. faisal

Never thought this would happen in my lifetime and I'm only 34. Godspeed Obama!!!

November 4, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  10. Rob

GOBAMA!

November 4, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  11. O.G.

Making history is a great thing, but too bad Obama is one of the worst possible choices to make that history.

November 4, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  12. Prophecy Fullfilled

if your still in line b4 the closing time, you will get to vote. 4-6 hours is less than 4-8 years

Never doubt the Bible again… It is really happening here and now:

.. “And in the land shall rise the son of Cain” From the north The Deceiver[Palin] a known Beast of false witness, will take the mark of Cain.
    Together they seek to spread fear and invoke hate among the refugees of sin.
    In their quest for power they will ignore the light of truth shining on the deeds and words they proclaim.
    But take heart, for throughout the land the seekers of light shall rise up and not be fooled. With their strength, the mark [Cain] will be cleansed from the earth and no longer hold power to sway the blind.

Can I get an amen…? :)

November 4, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  13. Candid

Obama will be one of the best presidents in U.S. history who will reunite our country. We will gain back the world respect.

Asian voter for Obama 2008.

November 4, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  14. CT for Obama

My husband and I waited in line today and we've never been happier than to vote for Obama in this historic election.

I hope that after all is said and done that we can all come together as a country and support Obama.

CHANGE YOU CAN BELIEVE IN!

November 4, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  15. Indie

MICKEY MOUSE, GOOFY AND MINNIE VOTED FOR OBAMA TODAY. THANKS ACORN.

November 4, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  16. Tiff of lithia springs

MY FIRST PRESIDENTAL VOTE WAS FOR CLINTON. I WAS GEEKED HE ACTUALLY CAME TO MY CAMPUS ON HOMECOMING AND IT WAS AN ELECTRIFYING 8 YEARS. WE GOT OUR DEGREES, FIRST JOBS, FIRST HOMES, SPOUSES AND CHILDREN UNDER THIS ADMINISTRATION

I HOPE THAT THESE COLLEGE STUDENTS GET THAT SAME EXPERIENCE UNDER OBAMA.

November 4, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  17. A Democrat

I voted for Obama 26 times. Thanks ACORN.

November 4, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  18. Tom

The Obama campaign has devided this country in ways I never thought possible. He truly is a disaster for America whether he becomes President or not.

November 4, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  19. California Gold

I just returned from Europe and this election is top of the list for conversation. I was also reminded by a European colleague that only in America can Barack Obama, a first generation of immigrant parents, a man or woman, or any other naturalized citizen seek the highest office in the land. This year casting my ballot was a tangible reminder of how fortunate we are and a reminder of how many people would get on their knees to have what we have.

November 4, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  20. s.m

I am very happy to see peolpe go vote and hopefully we will come together and fight for all rights. We pay for taxes on everything and out of our checks, at the stores, for our homes, clothes and etc....... on on on so many hands out but we need to come together to put a stop to this all. we need free health care like canada. I'm confused is this the land of the free??????

November 4, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  21. A Republican from Texas for Obama

I feel the same. I had to vote my pocketbook and my vote went to Obama.

Voted October 20th

November 4, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  22. Lawrence in Denver

Regardless of whether you are a Republican or Democrat...GET OUT AND VOTE!

Waiting for hours in line versus four years of someone you do not want in office is well worth it.

Me, on the other hand voted for...

Obama/Biden!!!!

~Lawrence in Denver

November 4, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  23. The Tax Payer Revolution begins Nov 4 (Producers vs. Moochers and Looters)

Oh there is history in the making all right... we're about to elect the first Marxist as US president, ever.

Talk about change... oh, there will be change... but I don't think you're much going to like it.

November 4, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  24. Takeshia

This is my daughter's first time voting,I'm glad she's able to witness this historical event.

November 4, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  25. 47yo male for McCain

Closer to American History but further away from what use to be the United States of America.

November 4, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |